Solar Panels and Phantom Tracker

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
I'm becoming bothered and bewildered!
Just changed the caravan for a current model that comes with an 80 watt solar panel on the roof. I've also upgraded the Phantom Tracker as I was so pleased with the item on our first van. The earlier Phantom tracker had no automatic battery level indicator and so every month/six weeks I would go do and change the battery in order to ensure the operation of the Phantom.
Over six years things progress and the van has gone from simple knobs, dials and switches to turn things on/off and adjust, to digital touch displays as well as the solar panel. The Phantom too has been 'enhanced'. Once registered now boast of the ability for the user using the Internet to not only see were the van is, but to automaticaly check on the battery level.
Being a bit of an 'anorack' I've taken to checking this battery level thinking that with the solar panel the battery changing tasks were a thing of the dim and distance past. The Phantom was installed on the 26th November and the battery reading was some 12.8, whatever that means!. This existed for the following three days. Then on the 29th November it dropped to 12.7 and from later on the same day dropped to 12.6 until the 30th November. 1st and 2nd December down to 12.5. Now today, 3rd December, 12.4 and getting close to the organge and then red area on the dial indicator.
I have checked that the Master switch is turned off. I have turned off the main switch in the fuse box, the radio/CD/DVD consol has been removed. The three red lights and one green light in the solar panel are alight seemingly indicating things are as they should be.
Yes, I know it has been cloudy of late but the solar panel is clean.
Just where am I 'leaking' power, is something still taking it which should/can be turned off? Or am I expecting too much.
Who should I contact, Phantom, the caravan manufacturer or the solar panel manufactuer.
I'm awaiting a low battery call from Phantom any day now!
I thought with these new fangled gatgets, changing the battery would be a thing of the dim and distant past.
Thanks for any assistance and guidance from those using solar and tracking systems. Many thanks.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
At 12.4 volts the battery is still 80% charged, so no need to panic yet.
I have a similar arrangement to you, only I use a 40 watt panel.
I have not had to charge the battery yet, although it has come quite close on these dark days and early nights.
I would suggest you hang on for a while and see what happens, it is not unusual for a battery to discharge initially and then stabilise.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The solar panel being flat on the roof is not working as efficiently as if it were positioned and angled towards the sun. These short days the sun stays low in the sky and with the overcast conditions solar panels are less than optimum. Most of the boats moored near to us are now using engines or portable generators. Your battery voltage is okay and as stated above I would watch it over the next few days. Also as temperatures drop batteries become less effective. The forecast in the next two days is for some brigher conditions which should lift the voltage. Only 18 more days to go and the days draw out!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
New member or not, if he had read the rules of the forum he would know that necro posting is prohibited.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maix is a new member and probably wouldn’t be aware of the original posting date. But it’s still relevant and only on #7
He joined in April 2021 so is not really a new member however if he started his own threads by clicking on new post that may be helpful?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
He joined in April 2021 so is not really a new member however if he started his own threads by clicking on new post that may be helpful?
Yes I suggested that to Maix yesterday wrt a stained mattress and he’s done that, but that thread has now been locked as it involves what is potentially a customer-supplier dispute. Easy to get onto what you think might be a relevant thread as like Jezzer I don’t always check the all of the available information.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dopey me never look at date.
When people start to revive very old topics, any later additions are highly likely to be deleted.
When members that we don't see very often revive very old topics
(necro posting), moderators begin to wonder if a potential spammer is testing our defences by sneaking in old topics to see if we notice.
We're not allowed to issue bans on suspicion alone, we are supposed to wait until spam is posted, which is why we discourage necro posting no matter who has revived an old topic.
Edit:
The same thing applies to duplicate posts

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"Necro posting", well the twists in this thread at least enlightens one follower to the ever developing English dictionary, though it needed Google's help!

A computer search on the T&Cs here though failed to find it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes I suggested that to Maix yesterday wrt a stained mattress and he’s done that, but that thread has now been locked as it involves what is potentially a customer-supplier dispute. Easy to get onto what you think might be a relevant thread as like Jezzer I don’t always check the all of the available information.

I think we have all fallen into that trap! LOL! :D

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
"Necro posting", well the twists in this thread at least enlightens one follower to the ever developing English dictionary, though it needed Google's help!

A computer search on the T&Cs here though failed to find it.
The definition was given in my earlier comment.
Necro posting is not against forum rules but it's not recommended for the reason that I outlined earlier, see post #11

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
New member or not, if he had read the rules of the forum he would know that necro posting is prohibited.
I have a Phantom Tracker. I can get a graph of the last 30 days battery voltage. It’s great for monitoring battery health. i also get a text message warning when the battery voltage is low.

example of my latest graph is attached. usually the graph will be a straight line with spikes on it where the solar panel “comes on” and charges the battery. My graph is from my caravan, which is currently at a dealer. A7FDA724-3850-4B01-A578-2B5108156DC6.png they let the battery go flat

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a Phantom Tracker. I can get a graph of the last 30 days battery voltage. It’s great for monitoring battery health. i also get a text message warning when the battery voltage is low.

example of my latest graph is attached. usually the graph will be a straight line with spikes on it where the solar panel “comes on” and charges the battery. My graph is from my caravan, which is currently at a dealer. View attachment 2655 they let the battery go flat
More than likely they disconnected the battery to do some work on the caravan as it will take several days for the battery to go flat. It is unlikely they would switch on the alarm & tracker while it is in their storage.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you disconnect battery you get immediate alert from phantom.
When I had a Phantom Alarm, they stated in the paperwork, if you wanted to disconnect the battery , telephone them first, and again when you have reconnected the battery.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
And the insurance needs alarm and tracker and alko wheel clamp to be active. Dealer collects the info needed to maintain the insurance. It’s new for old insurance. Wonder what happens If I need to claim.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Yes you can tell them in advance about battery disconnection. If I left the van there for a week I would have no idea what the dealer wanted to do and when. I suppose I could ask the dealer to phone Phantom and warn of battery disconnection. As it’s a security feature, perhaps to warn of tracker disconnection by thieves, then how does dealer prove its them. Currently phantom are not isssuing some alerts whilst it’s at the dealer, but will if it moves off site. I hope. Phantom system is great when I am in control, which is normally most of the time.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
they have a form with tick boxes. This form goes in window. You sign it. So to comply with insurance I need

Alko wheel clamp
alarm activated which links with
Phantom tracker

now how you check that all of these are applied I have no idea! Particularly when your van is moved to their workshop a few miles away, or, as happened to me a workshop at another company, 100 miles away.

I did find my form incorrectly completed and unsigned in the van. I emailed them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts