Something fallen off your van?

May 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just returned from the family holiday in Somerset. While travelling back on the M42 I was flagged down by a passing car.

"Something has just fallen off your caravan and hit my car. I think it was a wheelbrace".

We walked back up the busy motorway for about half a mile and were unable to find the metal object. I was concerned for my families safety and called the search off after producing my brace from the front locker.

I have sympathy for the guy and his damaged motor, it does look as if the object was thrown up rather than fallen from.

I did give the other driver my address but told him I did not accept any responsibility.

Am I correct in thinking this?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
probably had the damage to start with and been trying it on to get your insurance or you to repair the damage,if it wasn't you you should never have given your details

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You're obliged to give details to any driver who has reasonable grounds for requiring them. In this case you couldn't lawfully refuse, although if you felt intimidated you could have refused to stop and driven to the nearest police station.

If you report this matter to your insurers, as you have to, make it clear that nothing is missing from your outfit. They would then refuse to accept any claim from the third party.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would suggest that if anyone had a similar problem, to inform the police straight away via an emergency phone. They can then immediately warn other drivers via the matrix boards of potential debris in roads and post a lower speed limit. A patrol car can then safely inspect the road and stop the traffic to retrieve the object if necessary. Walking on the Motorway is potentially very dangerous, (may even be illegal),and retrieving an object from the centre or possibly outer lane is even worse.

In this case, it would also help Michael if it did come to any insurance claims. If it was a hoax then the other driver would probably have legged it rapidly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts