Sorento Tops 57mpg!

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Did anyone see the letter in Saturday's Telegraph motoring where the correspondent obtained 22mpg towing a 2 tonne van witha Sorento (almost credibble) and 57mpg when solo! I think the speedo and trip recorder were in KM which would then give about 35 mpg, just about credible but 57mpg not on this earth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the subject of fuel economy: when I was an apprentice, the proper mini had just been announced to an astounded public, and our dealership had taken over fifty orders on the first day! after a couple of weeks, the cars started to come in for their first 500 mile services (laughable today, I know).One particular owner complained of heavy petrol consumption, so particular notice was taken to tune it spot on. The following week, back it came again - same problem. I was given the job of sorting it out. The owner claimed it was only doing only 37 mpg around town, so I made up a 2pt test tank. gravity fed to the carb, and off I went on road test.It ran out of fuel after 8.6 miles,or 34.4 mpg. Not a strictly accurate test I know, but good enough for us. We rang BMC, who said that was an acceptable figure, and no more warranty work would be done on that subject. When the owner was told this, he was astounded, and asked our foreman how he could get the 50mpg that others claimed for their cars. The foreman looked the man in the eye and said, "you do the same as they do , sir. You lie about it!"

I once drove a Ford Scorpio whose fuel computer,running downhill on a trailing throttle showed 96mpg. 100 yards on, going uphill, I floored the throttle, and it showed 6mpg! But I could legitimately say that it had averaged 51mpg!

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Yes, I saw that and chuckled. Coincidentally, whilst on site last week at the Hunters Moon CC Site near Wareham, the chap in the opposite pitch was singing the praises of his imported Mitsubishi Shogun, saying that he was getting just over 30mpg whilst towing a big old Bessacar, and almost 50mpg solo. I did ask him if his speedo was calibrated in kms rather than miles......he went away with a puzzled look.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts