south west

Dec 30, 2013
I live in Somerset - a beautiful county, although apparently the Forest of Dean is also here, having moved from Gloucestershire!! :eek:hmy:

Dec 30, 2013
and I'm sure there are more Somerset-ians out there! Altho I'm technically a Leicestershire/Northants lass, I've lived down here for 24 years, so I don't count my Midlands bit anymore - sorry!

Apr 20, 2009
Devonian me, born and bred, six miles from the sea, six miles from the moors, but I will be travelling 12 miles at Easter with the van, cant wait,

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Your right CG there are more Somerset-Ian's out there me for one! although OH is Wiltshire-Ian although he's lived in Somerset for 20 years so think we can let him off! Believe we are also only few miles away from each other as live in Frome but grew up in Timsbury

Jul 15, 2008
Gagakev said:
Devonian me, born and bred, six miles from the sea, six miles from the moors, but I will be travelling 12 miles at Easter with the van, cant wait,
What are you like Kevin :whistle: ............You should be in Devon not lumped in with those other foreigners from Bristol and Somerset etc. :eek:hmy:

Apr 20, 2009
Gafferbill said:
Gagakev said:
What are you like Kevin :whistle: ............You should be in Devon not lumped in with those other foreigners from Bristol and Somerset etc. :eek:hmy:
Parksy HELP ME, I'm lost can you help to relocate me, apparently I'm supposed to be in Devon :oops:

Oct 4, 2011
Hi - we are from Gloucestershire, although OH originally from Cornwall. We try to stick to a 40 mile limit for weekends away and have travelled to Worcestershire, Wales, Devon, Dorset and Hampshire so far for longer holidays. Our dream is to tour around Scotland in a few years when we've saved up enough for the fuel there and back lol! Just come back from our first weekend away this year at Cirencester Park ... not a particularly good experience as due to a large rally we were told all non rallyers had to park on the grass! Not fair and very muddy. Lots of larger motorhomes got stuck, luckily our mover got us on/off but it was annoying driving past empty hardstand pitches "reserved" for rally goers when the Club rules clearly state no pitch can be reserved and pitch allocation is strictly on a first come, first served basis. OH fired off an email of complaint to the Caravan Club last night!

Oh and I only took one loo roll for the whole weekend ... Ooops!

Jun 20, 2005
Born and bred in London, OH a Brummy. Been in Cricklade Wiltshire for 35 years. Consider myself a country bumpkin living only 50 yards from the River Thames which is a small stream in the summer. It was a torrent a few weeks ago.
Cirencester Park is 5 miles away. Shame we missed you Lisa!

Just got back from Bath Chew Valley Somerset. A wonderful site. Only one draw back was the poor dog walking facilities. Must be on the lead at all times :eek:hmy: Nearest place where dogs can run free is Weston Super Mare I was told. A 20 mile drive from site. That apart we shall be going back soon.
Easter near Manchester then Stowford then Scotland or Cornwall then York for two weeks. That takes us to mid July. Time for a holiday I think.

Mar 24, 2014
Born and bred in Wiltshire, which is quite useful when your surname is Wiltshire. living in Calne at the moment moving when we win the the lottery!
Married to a Brummie which makes for a nice mixture of accents, not that i have one you understand
roll on Easter for our first Trip.

Steve.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Gagakev said:
Gafferbill said:
Gagakev said:
Parksy HELP ME, I'm lost can you help to relocate me, apparently I'm supposed to be in Devon :oops:
No wonder it's been raining very heavily in Somerset! :dry:
Hasn't your posh new tug got a sat nav Kev?
You can always start up a new post for Devon, we'll let you off with the Somerset gaffe as long as you promise not to bring the rain with you to Ludlow in September B)

Apr 20, 2009
Parksy said:
Gagakev said:
Gafferbill said:
Gagakev said:
No wonder it's been raining very heavily in Somerset! :dry:
Hasn't your posh new tug got a sat nav Kev?
You can always start up a new post for Devon, we'll let you off with the Somerset gaffe as long as you promise not to bring the rain with you to Ludlow in September B)
It's not that posh Parksy, no built in Sat nav I'm afraid, but I did leave Devon and found my way to Dorset to pick it up.
No rain in September this year, only snow :lol:

Oct 4, 2011
Dustydog said:
Born and bred in London, OH a Brummy. Been in Cricklade Wiltshire for 35 years. Consider myself a country bumpkin living only 50 yards from the River Thames which is a small stream in the summer. It was a torrent a few weeks ago.
Cirencester Park is 5 miles away. Shame we missed you Lisa!

Just got back from Bath Chew Valley Somerset. A wonderful site. Only one draw back was the poor dog walking facilities. Must be on the lead at all times :eek:hmy: Nearest place where dogs can run free is Weston Super Mare I was told. A 20 mile drive from site. That apart we shall be going back soon.
Easter near Manchester then Stowford then Scotland or Cornwall then York for two weeks. That takes us to mid July. Time for a holiday I think.
Oh no ... would have been nice to have met a fellow forumite! Another trip maybe lol.

Feb 3, 2008
thedoog1 said:
Born and bred in Wiltshire, which is quite useful when your surname is Wiltshire. living in Calne at the moment moving when we win the the lottery!
Married to a Brummie which makes for a nice mixture of accents, not that i have one you understand
roll on Easter for our first Trip.

Steve.
I'll fly the flag for Wiltshire as well, born and bred there. ;) As the M4 motorway slowly moved westward I followed it, staying at Bristol for quite a few years and finally ending up in south Wales. :eek:hmy:

I don't go away on Bank Holidays generally, as there are too many caravanners about. :lol: However, will do the PCV mayday rally. See you there.

Feb 4, 2014
A lot of us Wiltshire Moonrakers on the forum! thedoog1, why are you moving when you win the lottery? Calne is a nice little town I would have thought? I live in Melksham, but had previously been living in North Cornwall for 10 years, oh, and 18 months in Weston-Super-Mare, but have spent most of my life in West Berkshire.

Anyway, I just wanted to wave a flag for Wiltshire, and tell of one of one of my favourite spots in the county. Well, I have several actually but will save my enthusiasm for the other parts for another posting!

Westbury, folk may think, does not have a huge amount to recommend it, but take a drive up to the White Horse (signposted Bratton Camp from the main road) on a sunny Sunday and blow away a few cobwebs in the fresh breeze always present on the hilltop! You'll see paragliders drifting lugubriously beneath their colourful canopies against the brilliant blue sky, families flying kites or playing ball games, and dogs galore, including of course my own Echo!, enjoying a good run off the lead in an area that didn't suffer too badly from soggy welly syndrome, even in the wettest part of our wettest winter. I find Wiltshire folk very friendly, and whenever I'm out with Echo our exercise periods always take longer than anticipated, as folk just like to stand and pass the time of day with some friendly chat. Lovely!

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Somerset born and bred me and married to a Wiltshire boy !! Living in Frome, :)

Cynth were you up at the White horse this afternoon? I was and your right it was a bit breeze!! But lovely to see so.many people up there enjoying the good weather.

Feb 4, 2014
Di3 said:
Somerset born and bred me and married to a Wiltshire boy !! Living in Frome, :)

Cynth were you up at the White horse this afternoon? I was and your right it was a bit breeze!! But lovely to see so.many people up there enjoying the good weather.
Hi, Di3, No, unfortunately I'm not able to drive now for 6 - 8 weeks following a total knee replacement op a short while ago, but I was up there in spirit! What a lovely day! Perhaps see you up there another time!

Dec 30, 2013
wow - small world! We've lived in Timsbury since moving from Weston-super-Mud in 1999. We love it here and wouldn't move away - I work at the school too!

Apr 10, 2014
Crazyguider, when our children were younger, we used to run the Halloween/Fireworks rally with the Avon Centre around the corner from you at Camerton. Alot of my relatives live around that area, Marksbury, Stanton prior, Corston etc.

Dec 30, 2013
what a small world! Whats the Avon Centre in Camerton? is that the village hall?
Cyber cynth - when did you live in WSM??

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Lappy we have also ran rallies at Comerton Village hall, good central place to visit surrounding area and have had our annual dinner/dance in the hall for the past couple of years, using a local caterer for the dinner, always handy to have local contact.

Also worked at the Jolly Collier in Camerton, not sure if anybody can remember it?

Lappy - although I was born in Timsbury, parents came from Farnborough, but also have relatives in Marksbury, Paulton, and the surrounding area!!

Cyber Cynth - Hope your on the mend x

Di

Feb 4, 2014
Di3 said:
Di, thank you very much, yes, I'm hobbling a bit quicker now, thanks! and learning to cope with relying on public transport whilst unable to drive. Not a very patient patient though, and counting the weeks away until I can get out in the caravan again! x

Feb 4, 2014
crazyguider said:
Cyber cynth - when did you live in WSM??
Sorry I haven't replied to this posting earlier Crazyguider, I missed it somehow, until doing a catch-up of the 'Areas' thread.

My husband and I (now ex) lived in WSM for about 18 months, we moved to Old Mixon in 2000 and moved on to Cornwall in 2002. The name of the road was Beechmount Close. I loved it there, so nice to be able to walk down to Uphill, to the park area, the river and of course the beach. 'imself didn't like it there so we moved.....

Feb 4, 2014
WoodlandsCamper said:
CyberCynth said:
I loved it there, so nice to be able to walk down to Uphill,
Did you also walk up to Downhill ?? :p
Yeah, just like being up on the downs! ;) Reminds me of that little village, I think it's in Berkshire, of Higher Upham

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts