south west

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 30, 2013
Looks like you moved in after we moved out, Cybercynth. We were ther from 1990-99. Uphill was a much loved place. We used to cycle there from Worle, where we lived, quite often. I used to take my Guides there to light fires in the dunes and do outdoor cooking!

Jul 15, 2008
CyberCynth said:
Reminds me of that little village, I think it's in Berkshire, of Higher Upham
........do you mean Lower Upham which is part of my old stomping ground just north of Bishops Waltham in Hampshire ;)

Feb 4, 2014
Gafferbill said:
CyberCynth said:
Reminds me of that little village, I think it's in Berkshire, of Higher Upham
........do you mean Lower Upham which is part of my old stomping ground just north of Bishops Waltham in Hampshire ;)
Bill, sorry for delayed reply, have only just spotted your posting about Upham.

No, not Upham in Hampshire, but Berkshire, it's just east of Aldbourne. Upham itself is just the site of a medieval village, but there are two hamlets, called Lower Upham and Upper Upham nearby. (Not Higher Upham; my memory was playing tricks on me). A lovely place to walk, not far from the Ridgeway. I haven't been along the Ridgeway for some time now, partly because it's a bit more of a trek from where I live now, and partly because the off-road 4 wheel drive brigade was chewing up the Ridgeway so badly, it was making walking very difficult, especially with cronky knees. I used to love walking the dogs there. You could hear skylarks twittering away, as well as numerous other birds, and you could see for miles. Lovely! Whoops, perhaps this posting should have gone into The 'Berkshire' section (central England, apparently?)

Mar 14, 2005
Just looked at this thread for the first time and found lots of familiar places.

Spent most of my formative years in Cirencester at the Grammar School which was closed to become part of the comprehensive at Deer Park. Lived in the gardens of the Abbey - now Dugdale Road. Left for college in London and work at Bishops Cleeve. Then to Burton on Trent - bought first caravan from Spondon - then back to buckinghamshire in the Chalfonts, then into Wembley, then to Parbold, Lancashire, and finally to Somerset near Wincanton since I couldn't afford any thing I wanted near Cirencester.

However, all worked out for the best and have now been here 19 years - 3 times longer than I have ever lived ilived in the same house before.

Surrounded by Bruton, Castle Cary, Sherborne, Haynes Motor Museum, Yeovilton FAA museum and this weekend even the distant sounds of Glasto.

Super job, as the local saying goes.

May 17, 2010
Hi folks I was born in Dorset but moved to Southampton in the 60's Married in the 70's moved to Botley.
We have just moved to Lee - on -the Solent ( by the sea) to retire,
We have toured Dorset/Devon/Cornwall/Somerset/W.Sussex/Wiltshire
and tiny bit of Wales North and South back in the 80's when kids where little.
We probably go to Dorset Wimborne or The Witterings W. Sussex weekends.
Main hols. Devon/Cornwall .
Next year would like to do month or so touring Scotland.

Jul 15, 2008
PlumbersWife said:
Hi folks I was born in Dorset but moved to Southampton in the 60's Married in the 70's moved to Botley.
.......I was brought up on a farm near Wickham so know Botley and Lee-on-Solent well :)
I went to school in Fareham where I was given the nickname Gaffer (a reference to being a farmers son).....hence my user name on here!!
As a child we used to visit my Aunt and Uncle who had a split level house right on the beach at Lee-on-Solent.
The upstairs, with a front door, opened on to the street and the ground floor was level with the back garden which then lead straight on to the beach.
Great fun on a summers day.

May 17, 2010
Any where near The Osborne View ..... And like Kev, I am in the wrong place, :silly: should be with you gaffer in South EAST- Not West, :cheer:

Jun 2, 2015
PlumbersWife said:
That's my neck of the woods, I drive through Lee-on-the Solent most days to and from work from Gosport to Fareham (not much of a commute and I should really get my bicycle out more. )

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts