Spare wheel carrier

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem!
My Lunar coachbuilt van sits on a Fiat Ducato base and was supplied with a can of goo, in lieu of a spare wheel - so far so normal. Not wanting to find myself stuck up a mountain with a shredded tyre and just a can of goo, I got my own spare wheel and tyre and jack etc.
So far so good - but where to put it. There's a nice round space under the chassis, which is clearly designed for a wheel carrier, but Fiat can only supply one that's accessed from the rear of the vehicle - not possible now, because there is a waste tank in the way. Plenty of room for a side access carrier though (These seem to be widely available for a caravan chassis, but apparently no good for this application). Fiat referred me to Lunar; Lunar referred me to Fiat and I've drawn a blank everywhere I've tried, so my spare wheel continues to fill half the underbed storage area.
Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Realise it's been a long time since you posted, but I came across this while looking for something else.
I'd suggest either having someone modify an off-the-shelf carrier to suit your needs, or have them build a custom one (this is almost certainly a more straightforward idea).
Some years ago, I visited a small engineering firm called Watling Engineers, just outside St Albans. They made custom towbars for vehicles, but would also make other fabrications, including spare wheel carriers. They had a quiet, can-do attitude and I'd recommend giving them a call (01727 873661). They have a website, too – www.watling-towbars.co.uk.
I have no idea what it might cost, and without seeing it, I guess neither will Watling. However, if you can get the vehicle to them, they will be able to give you a quote.
If it's too far to go, you could try Yellow Pages and see if there's a local fabricator near you who can help. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts