spare wheel

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
i wonder if any body as had to use the gunk and compressor we get instead of a spare wheel in cars now days
i would like to junk the al-co carrier and wheel from under the caravan
does it work

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Such items work OK if you get a nail or similar in the tread of the tyre, but if you get a blowout or indeed anything on the sidewall it is no use at all. Anyway, once the kit has been used the puncture cannot be repaired and it means a new tyre anyway.

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure I would want to try the GOO to hold firm on my 60 psi caravan tyres. Even on one of our cars I’ve ditched the GOO and installed a space saver. Whilst I don’t like space savers they are infinitely preferable to using GOO. Also many U.K. tyre outlets will not repair a repairable tyre if GOO has been used for a temporary repair. Citing Health and Safety. Yet Continental Tyre website gives chapter and verse about how to repair a tyre that has had GOO used to effect a temporary repair. Welcome to rip off U.K. (n)

PS my last van had the dreaded Alko carrier which I ditched as it’s not very useful when touring overseas. I just carried the wheel in the van and used my motorcycle security chain to lock it to the caravan chassis before erecting the awning.

Reactions: Mike and DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My motor was supplied with the goo kit. Ditched it, no way would I tow with a tyre full of goo. replaced with a full size spare, I'm same as OC took van spare wheel carrier off, carry wheel in car.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
To minimise your risks I would add a decent caravan TPMS.
It will not save punctures and probably the goo would do that task, but IMO it will all but eliminate the miscalled "blow out". With caravans that is much more likely down to running on with a puncture, the flexing overheating the wall, till it disintegrates.

With the underslung carrier, life is far better if you adopt two techniques.
  • Don't cover the slides in grease that attracts dirt, use a dry ptfe lubricant [as used on bike chains] and exercise it each season.
  • Second, life can be far easier if you haul the caravans wheel up onto some blocks using the towcar. This increases the clearances that could be needed to withdraw the spare at all, and the extra room helps.
That carrier is best given some care and attention, neglect it and don't understand it, then it becomes useless.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
i wonder if any body as had to use the gunk and compressor we get instead of a spare wheel in cars now days
i would like to junk the al-co carrier and wheel from under the caravan
does it work
I do't think these things are popular and less people are buying vehicles that use them.
Personally I wouldn't buy a vehicle that didn't come with a spare wheel - it's just cheap getout. - Are punctured tyres repairable after filled with this gunk

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do't think these things are popular and less people are buying vehicles that use them.
Personally I wouldn't buy a vehicle that didn't come with a spare wheel - it's just cheap getout. - Are punctured tyres repairable after filled with this gunk
As I said above tyres that have GOO used on them are very often not repaired as the tyre depots quote H&S concerns. Yet Continental Tyre publish the procedure on how to repair the tyre providing the hole is small enough and within the defined area of tread. But as I say our tyre depots would rather sell you a new tyre, and you are a captive customer.

The Continental Tyre Contikit has a maximum use pressure of 3 bar or 45 psi and is limited to sealing a 4 mm hole. Citroen 6 mm hole and Evoque 3.5 bar max. So not all standard but all recommend leaving the nail in situ. And of course GOO has a use by date too.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Worth checking the handbook as I am sure my last Ford forbade using the space-saver for towing, so when I did get a puncture solo on a sunday while touring in N Yorks I could only leave the caravan on pitch and head off to a tyre depot on Monday morning to get the original replaced - with permission for a late departure from the site. Presumably if it had occurred while towing then it would have been OK to use the space-saver to get the unit to a safe place. Just ensured that my recent replacement car has a full size alloy with new tyre as spare, and have always carried a spare for the caravan too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Worth checking the handbook as I am sure my last Ford forbade using the space-saver for towing, so when I did get a puncture solo on a sunday while touring in N Yorks I could only leave the caravan on pitch and head off to a tyre depot on Monday morning to get the original replaced - with permission for a late departure from the site. Presumably if it had occurred while towing then it would have been OK to use the space-saver to get the unit to a safe place. Just ensured that my recent replacement car has a full size alloy with new tyre as spare, and have always carried a spare for the caravan too.

As you say if en route the options reduce if you do get a puncture. I would mount the space saver on the rear which may be a bit of a faff if the puncture is in the front but at least any difference in OD compared to the standard tyres wouldn’t be so evident. Also removes the steering braking stress from the space saver.
Regarding loading a space saver is designed to take the car at full load so having a correctly loaded caravan in tow should be manageable with due care.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Woodentop. You can repair a small puncture, but a blow out or serious damage is beyond it so you drop the spare wheel at your own risk.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Honest John website claims that 95% of punctures can’t be repaired with the inflation kit. Our tyre went down in storage, RAC guy put the spare on and dealer found the problem to be a very slightly loose valve. Good job I didn’t use gunk.

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
thanks for your replies perhaps it doesn't seem such a good idea after all
i had not thought of the 65psi maybe the small compressor would not be man/woman enough i must try that as well
any body actually used the stuff

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thanks for your replies perhaps it doesn't seem such a good idea after all
i had not thought of the 65psi maybe the small compressor would not be man/woman enough i must try that as well
any body actually used the stuff

Most of the little compressors will get to that pressure and your pension will grow while you wait. If you plant to go down the GOO route I would buy a decent compressor like the Michelin one. I found it useful on my last car where pressures fir loaded towing went from 230 kpa to 310 kpa. Takes an age on a foot pump pumping up prior to departure from home. Then again when leaving the camp site.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The tyre needed replacing due to age. They did refuse to use the valve though,
Not surprised that the valve wasn’t used if the tyre was replaced on age grounds. Last week I had a puncture repaired on a tyre that had been fitted a very short time ago and hadn’t done many miles. The tyre depot replaced the valve as a matter of course.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
When I was collecting cars for a locam main dealer I had to use the inflation kit a couple of times in my case without success and I ended up being recovered the recovery chap said he does more recoveries now because of flat tyres which people cannot inflate with the gunk, I've. Managed to get hold of a proper spare. for my. Kuga same alloy with a Michelin tyre,

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
thanks for all your replies
i have decided to dump the al~co carrier i have passed the age of trying to get it out from under the caravan and the first and last time i had to call the RAC out for a blown turbo it was two and a half hours before thy arrived and another two hours waiting for a vehicle that could put me on the back and i only had the car so i am dumping the RAC as well
so i will end up with the spare wheel in the caravan perhaps try the GUNGE as a first choice as i said i am getting to old to go groveling around on a wet road and the small compressor does get up to 60 psi take its time but will get there
so i now have to find a replacement for the RAC can you recommend any
thank in advance guys/girls

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Any recovery services' response will reflect on where, when, who is your party and what other members are in trouble at your time of need. Whilst the RAC might have not responded as expected I doubt anyone can recommend another provider, whom someone else has sometime found as lacking.
Making them aware, if appropriate, of the particular dangers of your situation and circumstances will bias how you are prioritised, IMO more than selecting an alternative provider. Green Pennant impressed me the only time I needed them, that was for a caravan tyre, but the AA subcontracted by my vehicle's warranty recovery provider left me far from impressed. But one case was stuck on a dual carriageway, the other not able to leave a caravan CL, very different risk states.
At my age, and so its physical limits, having something in place is top priority.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suspect that all breakdown services will have some poor comments and some good ones. It will as JTQ suggests down to the circumstances prevailing rather than your breakdown situation. Consequently individual experiences won't necessarily reflect the overall performance of a service.

Its probably best seeking survey results from trusted organisations like Which? or other comparison sites.

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
Re the RAC i did explain i was on a single carriageway and close to a bend i told them the number of the a road and about half a mile out of Cardigan west wales the first guy told me he had been looking for me on the wrong road and had come from LLandovery and to be fair took me to cardigan to get some takeaway food it is nearly 8 pm by now at about 10.30pm the other vehicle arrived again from LLandovery i do not in any way blame the guys that came out me thy worked for a independent recovery company but the RAC no way enough is more than enough
will need to look into Green Pennant is that the same as Green flag?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
----need to look into Green Pennant is that the same as Green flag?

Yes, almost certainly, I suspect I have it wrong; the cards are not readily accessible to check this for you, but it is what originally was a Caravan Club's partner, offer.
The total I have paid them over countless years, they ought to send somebody almost before I call them wanting assistance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts