Spec plate location and laws.

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
I am new to caravanning but I have been told that if I can not locate the specification plate on my Swift Corniche 14/2 E then it is not legal to tow. I have checked inside and out and have tried to access the a frame but have had no luck locating the spec plate or anywhere that a spec plate might once have been. Firstly, is it legal to tow a caravan if I can't find the spec plate? Where would I find this written down somewhere? and finally can anyone tell me where the spec plate should be on my caravan. Thank you in advance and sorry for such a basic questions.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ellzani, welcome, My caravan 2013 caoachman is supposed to have a plate next to the door and one on the front bulkhead, ie near the gas bottles at the front, the one at the front has never been there, and the one near the door is fading, so i would think, the answer would be yes you can tow the caravan, as axle limits and rating should be on the towbar. I am sure you will get better information.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paraphrased from the National Trailer & Towing Association : Since 1982 regulations demand that all caravans, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kg. This may be checked at any time by the police at a weighbridge.

That basically says it all. Presuming you caravan is younger , then if the plate is not present then your outfit will be contravening this regulation.o I do not know what might happen, but its only likely to come to light if you are stopped.

You might find the Swift owners forum might be able to help.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Paraphrased from the National Trailer & Towing Association : Since 1982 regulations demand that all caravans, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kg. This may be checked at any time by the police at a weighbridge.

Hi Prof,

Would the axle rating tag or tyre ratings be sufficient guide to the maximum mass be acceptable to the Police?

I'd be a little suspicious of any caravan that has missing plates (post 1982). Is the Vin numbers on the widows? is the chassis number still there and readable?

Was the caravan bought privately or through a website?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Certainly not tyre ratings. How do you know that the tyres are the correct rating. In the absence of a weight label near the door or a more permanent plate in the front locker the axle plate would be your absolute maximum loading. But makers of caravans will rate the MTPLM lower than the axle and rate tyres accordingly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Prof,

Would the axle rating tag or tyre ratings be sufficient guide to the maximum mass be acceptable to the Police?
quick answer No.

It's the final manufacturer (the caravan Manufacturer) who is responsible for registering the type approval and its legal maximum working weight.

In a simplistic way the caravan manufacturer is responsible for the design of the caravan , and they have to, specify parts that will not be overloaded and that might mean choosing a chassis that has a greater capacity than the maximum working weight of the caravan body.

When it comes to tyres, the owner of the caravan may have had them changed to a model with a even greater maximum working load, which might be significantly greater than the caravans MTPLM. Tyre ratings are not a suitable guide to establishing a caravans MTPLM
Edit removed some unecessary composition text

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts