Speed Limit In France

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
According to the Caravan Club "Holiday Guide" booklet (The useful guide to Continental Caravanning), the speed limit on French motorways (in good weather) is 81mph - solo or towing.

Have any of you driven at this limit? How safe/steady does it feel? I get around 19mpg at 60mph in this counrty so I dread to think what I'll get at 81mph!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The speed limit in France is the same for towing as it is with a solo car, except where indicated on down hill sections of the autoroute. We have been going to France for years but have never towed at the maximum. If I want Grand Prix speeds I go to Monaco and watch!!! Seriously you should tow at the speed you are comfortable with and I certainly would not be comfortable with towing at 80mph.

David

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone any idea what speeds caravans are rated for? Last time I drove from Calais to Paris I sat at 100mph (no caravan) for most of the way. 60mph on UK motorways feels very solid, so at what speed does it get unsafe? I tow a Bailey Pageant and whilst I will probably take the first twenty miles at 65, second 20 at 70 and then maybe 75, I'm keen to know what other have experienced at high speed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Like I said in another thread, the caravan industry bases all its technical designs on a 60mph rating. They will not guarantee that an outfit will necessarily be safe above that speed. In fact, as I stated, German insurance companies warn policyholders travelling to France that coverage will be lost if it can be proved an outfit was doing over 100km/h at the time of an accident, even though the French speed limit may not have been exceeded.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I cannot understand all the paranio about a certain figure. Speed limits are not set on any particular road with safety in mind - they are arbitary. If there were no limits on any road the driver would be expected to drive within the capabilities of himself, the vehicle and perceived hazards. Just because the French do no differentiate when towing does not mean the driver is absolved from driving responsibly. Nobody is making you drive at 81mph- 60mph is too fast for some units I see.

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
I think it's important to remember that speed limits dictate the maximim permissable speed, not the compulsary speed. However, in the UK, we're spoilt by the fact that the maximum speed suggests the safest, highest speed for any given road and vehicle.

The 60mph limit has been in force for a considerable time, certainly back to when caravans had tiny wheels and were no more than glorified home conversion kits. I'd hope that design and manufacturing has moved on and that tolerances are much grater in terms of safety at speed.

So back to my original question - what are your experiences of towing at speeds of 70mph and above?

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Well Mam, I will put my hand up.

I tow on the french motorways around 70 - 75 miles that is.

I don't have any problems caravan follows the car.

But not all the time, only in conditions that are good.

I'll most propably get some flack for admitting it. But who cares my hubby doesn't he does the same..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mam said "I'd hope that design and manufacturing has moved on and that tolerances are much grater in terms of safety at speed".

Speed limits have got nothing at all to do with the capabilities of vehicles - how could they be? Towing a large caravan is different than towing a 300kg trailer.

Speed limits are set politically with an ever increasing powers being devolved to local councils.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As most are aware, it is not illegal to tow right up the manufacturers towing limit. This could mean a 100% weight ratio. Certainly, at that ratio, 60mph can be considered the maximum safe speed. The findings in the research paper that Allan mentioned in another thread which talks about potential instability occurring at speeds over 55mph would tend to support this. As speed limits should cover all technically allowable conditions, including towing at 100% weight ratio, 60mph is a sensible limit. Otherwise, one would have to have staggered limits depending on weight ratio. The problems of trying to enforce such a complicated arrangement would be immense.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Travelling from Bordeaux to Narbonne we have been up to 80 mph on the near empty motorway.

I can never remember being anywhere that had just no apparent wind. The air gets so still and warm its as if there is no wind resistance on the long near flat or gently sloping roads.

Despite running up to 80mph a few times you need your eyes to be everywhere and it not something I would try when towing with a 4 x 4 due to the tyres many use.

You also need to be very sure that your car and caravan in running order is wobble free so to speak. If you have any doubts or feel the odd weave or slightest wobble at regular speeds why would you risk going faster. Also if there is other traffic you have to think about what they might do as well.

On French roads you can average 60 miles in an hour without goimg near 70mph, you are making better time than you are everlikely to do in the UK so around 60 is pretty fine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
French speed limits are as follows:

50 kph in urban areas unless told different

90 kph on N roads

130 kph on Autoroutes in good weather

110 kph on Autoroutes in rain and poor weather

There may as well be restrictions while towing caravans down hills.

These are usually 80 kph.

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello MAM,

We always use the Autoroutes through France (coming up 23yrs).It is quite easy to allow your tow speed to creep up. Personally I like to tow at 58/60mph and I set the Cruise Control to this. To me, this speed "feels right", both for me and the car (Discovery).Other caravanners frequently overtake me but usually we catch them up at the toll booth or when they refuel.I always think of the consequences of blow-out etc. and to me, its not worth the higher speeds.

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Mam, I will put my hand up.

I tow on the french motorways around 70 - 75 miles that is.

I don't have any problems caravan follows the car.

But not all the time, only in conditions that are good.

I'll most propably get some flack for admitting it. But who cares my hubby doesn't he does the same..
I also tow at 70mph in France.

Not a problem with a well balanced unit within the 85% weigh guideline.

Like Smiley only when conditions are good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts