Speed limits France and 3500kg

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
Since last year I have changed my caravan. As far as I can tell, as long as the combined weight of car and van are below 3500kg the usual limits apply, but my combined weight is now greater than 3500kg but within the Train Weight of the car, and the van weighs less than the car.

From what I have gleaned from the Net this means restricted speed of 110 kmh on the motorway and 100 kmh on dual carriageways, BUT the confusion comes when on a single carriageway road outside town - some sites say 50kmh, others 80 kmh ? It seems to depend upon whether or not the car + van comes under the speed limit for a truck because it is >3500kg.

Thought I would try here first as you are all such a knowledgeable lot!

All ideas gratefully received and thanks.

Peter

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If the GVW of the towcar is under 3.5 tonnes and the gross train weight is between 3.5 and 12 tonnes, the limit outside built-up areas is 80km/h and 100km/h on roads with a central divide, not necessarily a dual carriageway (Quote: "sur routes

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure what a long wheel base high top van of the Transit type with a huge Hobby style T/A caravan in tow often with satelite dish still deployed and a luggage trailer or generator trailer towed behing the van weighs in at, as seen on many a French road.

A bit of common sense and towing as normal UK speeds I would be pretty sure that you will be fine. We've been passed many time by rigs such as above over many years whilst working and caravanning and towing at above the UK limits.

My brother inlaw came back from Pau on Tuesday and was past a by quite a few of these style rigs and the Police were no more intersted in them than they were in him. And he tows at 65- 70 mph in France.

100 kph is roughly 62 mph and 80 kph 50mph, so your UK speed should be fine!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts