Spell Check No Longer Working

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Did an Android update a few days ago and and now ive noticed I dont have the "spell check" any more.
Before,if a word was spelt wrong,a red line would appear underneath the word.
Any ideas please?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Perhaps you have it but you need to go into settings and turn it on.

John

PS. It might be settings in your word processor or in the OS settings.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you.
Ive tried the suggestions but in settings/language,there is no toggle button to enable spelling or word correction,only predictive text toggle.
I have the Samsung Galaxy S10 and everything was fine until that update.
Will keep looking.🤔

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you.
Ive tried the suggestions but in settings/language,there is no toggle button to enable spelling or word correction,only predictive text toggle.
I have the Samsung Galaxy S10 and everything was fine until that update.
Will keep looking.🤔
The spell check predictive text button on a Samsung Galaxy phone is usually found via
Settings, then click on General Management, from there click on Samsung Keyboard Settings and the slider switch should be visible.
If it's still set to On, turn it off and then back On again.

Click Here

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Parksy.
Ive tried all your suggestions,and followed the link you sent but no luck😔

I've tried toggling predictive text on/off then searching for options where it says "Auto correct/spell check",but it just isn't there.
It isn't a big problem but found it handy when typing.
Will keep investigating.
Thanks all for your help.👍

Reactions: Parksy

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It might help if you could tell us the App you're using in which this no longer works and which keyboard you are using e.g. Gboard or Samsung etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What I have noticed on this forum is that a spelling mistake is highlighted as soon as you have finished typing the word, but if you complete the sentence the red wavy line is no longer there?
No issue with using Word or Outlook as they either auto correct or red wavy line stays there until you correct it. Same with FB.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
What I have noticed on this forum is that a spelling mistake is highlighted as soon as you have finished typing the word, but if you complete the sentence the red wavy line is no longer there?
No issue with using Word or Outlook as they either auto correct or red wavy line stays there until you correct it. Same with FB.

The spell checker in Apple is turned on or off in ‘keyboard’ under ‘settings’. So the use, ie. In this forum, should not affect it. However. Like you I find it is very hit and miss when using this forum, even though that makes no sense to me. Much more reliable using my PC.

Just writing this, a couple of times I have hit a letter instead of the space bar. eg. Likenthis. The checker highlights it, but only about 50% of the time. I don’t know if it’s an iPad thing or to do with the forum. I suspect the former.

John

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm using the Samsung keyboard and happens when I type on this forum and Gmail.
I have noticed that before,while I'm typing,if I misspelt a word it would highlight it with a red line underneath that word.
Now what's happening is I seem to get the correct spelling in blue just above the line of numbers on my keyboard.
Maybe this is a new thing to do with the recent update.
Maybe I will get used to this new way in time.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm using the Samsung keyboard and happens when I type on this forum and Gmail.
I have noticed that before,while I'm typing,if I misspelt a word it would highlight it with a red line underneath that word.
Now what's happening is I seem to get the correct spelling in blue just above the line of numbers on my keyboard.
Maybe this is a new thing to do with the recent update.
Maybe I will get used to this new way in time.

I don't actually use the Samsung keyboard prefering Gboard but I've just enabled it on my Samsung Tablet. Unfortunately I can't test if it works but I've found the following settings and this is for the latest Andriod release from Samsung just a few days ago.

1. Open Gmail as a test app and then when the keyboard shows up you should see a cog on the bar above the numbers.... circled below in the first image....tap on this.

2. This should take you to the keyboard settings as shown in the second image. You'll see two settings for Auto Replace and Auto Check. Tap each of these and you should see the images in 3 and 4. Make sure the settings are enabled.

No guarantees but that's all I can suggest for now.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg4.jpg

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Sam.
I've done what you suggested but I only have "Auto Replace" English Querty which is toggled on.
No sign of "Auto Spell Check" anywhere.

It's OK.....I think I will be happy going forward with the words that are appearing with the correct spelling above the top line of numbers.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Have you looked to see if there is an update to the Samsung Keyboard app.

If you want you could always give Gboard a try. Its free to download and install from the Play Store and if you don't like it you can always uninstall it.

If you do give it a try you'll have to set it as the default keyboard. The Samsung keyboard will still be there if you dont like it.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts