Spring clean

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know it may be a little early for this, but perhaps others use the 'quiet season' to tidy up sheds, garages etc. and each year wonder what to do with the perhaps considerable collection of caravanning bits and pieces, spares, etc. that have accumulated.

Most of these seem too good and/or potentially useful to take to the tip, but the cost and hassle of trying to advertise relative to the moderate amount even if everything sells sometimes seems not worth the effort.

A good alternative is to join your local Freecycle group and post your stuff as an Offer.
I've just disposed of what would have been more than one bootload to a very nice couple who were very happy to take everything to help maintain thier elderly but much loved caravan.

Look at www.freecycle.com it's a nice easy site to use, no cost, no monies change hands and you can advertise Wants as well as Offers. The convention seems to be that the receivers take a complete lot rather than cherry pick and leave you to dispose of the rest. There are no restrictions e.g. for electrical equipment which charity shops no longer accept.

Give it a try - you'll probably meet some nice folk from not very far away, and you'll not have the uncomfortable feeling of dumping something that you know someone might appreciate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree with your post. I used to use Freecycle but in our area Freegle ( a Yahoo group) is more active. Its amazing what you can dispose of as there always seems to be someone out there looking for something. I have also obtained useful items from these sites too. One thing I watch out for are the very speedy replies that you get when you have posted an "offered" item. Some must come from automated software as they don't make any mention of the item being offered. They just say something like " I would love your offer and can collect asap". Probably means that the item is destined for a car boot sale or ebay. So I abide by a fair use policy which allows 24 hours for replies then I decide who to give the items to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts