Static Caravanning

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
OK, not true caravanning in the context of this forum, but I'm currently in Pembrokeshire for a week in a static. I actually booked this last year well before the opportunity arose for me to purchase my first tourer. There is a lot to be said for it. I've always enjoyed static caravan holidays right from childhood. I absolutely love my tourer and have well and truely caught the bug, but I think I will still continue to have holidays in static every now and then. It's a different type of holiday really, it has it's pros and cons. What I like about taking my tourer our is that I know exactly what's in there already and what I need to bring with me. Where as with a static, sometimes absolutely everything has been catered for but other times somethings are sadly lacking. For instance I took my cafetiere with me, most statics I have been already have one, but so glad I took it because this one doesn't. Also lacking a few basic items such as kitchen knife which ridiculously I had to go and buy. It's a private rent on a site, so it's not like I can just go to reception and ask for things. But on the plus side it's a beautiful caravan, with patio doors, decking, real sofa (not the usual built in type), en suite toilet, shower and BATH. You have the luxury of more space, not having to set everything up or fetch water. It's very convenient too having decking all round, so I can throw doors open when I want and not worry about the dog getting loose. Central heating (not needed at present) and double glazing. I've stayed in vans like this in the depths of winter and been lovely and warm. Gone are the days of turning on all the gas rings and fire on max to warm up in the morning!

I love my touring van and have taken to it like a duck to water but thoroughly enjoying my static caravan and plan to do it again in furutre. I'll post a couple of pics shortly. Do you still go on static holidays despite having your tourer? I've had a few comments saying "what's the point in hiring a caravan when you've got one", but it really is a different type of holiday. There is a touring site here too, of course I've taken the dog for a walk and had a good nosey!

Reactions: Sam Vimes
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we had a tourer we still would use statics and like you tried to find private sites not the larger holiday parks. They can be remarkably good value especially out if season. We also used them in France via Eurocamp and Canvas Holidays where a apart from peak season the economics are pretty good, plus you can gain a couple of days on a fortnight by quicker journey time, cheaper ferry and less fuel used too.
I have found this site has some nice ones on private sites although there are plenty of others too.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We booked a static in the lake district for a week it was great value when we pick up the keys and went to look the owner had left us a welcome pack .
it had fantastic views we might book it again now we haven"t got a caravan

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If it works for you, carry on and enjoy. At one stage of the game we had a large tourer on a fully serviced seasonal pitch and a tiny tourer at home, so like you, we could enjoy the best of both worlds. Don’t have the seasonal any more, but it really worked for us for quite a few years.
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with static rental, but according to many people on various forums buying one is a nightmare to hell!
My cousin Ray brought one at Fir tree park at bridlington it was a lovely two bedroom static came with the rent paid for that year kept it for a couple of years + we use to go regularly when it come to selling that was a nightmare .

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My cousin Ray brought one at Fir tree park at bridlington it was a lovely two bedroom static came with the rent paid for that year kept it for a couple of years + we use to go regularly when it come to selling that was a nightmare .
Very true about selling on. Someone on another forum bought a static for in excess of £30k, but unfortunately their spouse died before they could use it. The site offered her less than £11k for the caravan which was not even a year old, almost brand new and never been used.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Very pleased your enjoying your static. Not actually done one since about 1988 in France. But do the occasional cottage.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Very pleased your enjoying your static. Not actually done one since about 1988 in France. But do the occasional cottage.
John

We have never rented a static or cottage in the UK or continent from some nameless national organisations that seem to charge an arm and a leg.
We prefer to use AirBnB as we found you could get the same cottage a lot cheaper through AirBnB.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have never rented a static or cottage in the UK or continent from some nameless national organisations that seem to charge an arm and a leg.
We prefer to use AirBnB as we found you could get the same cottage a lot cheaper through AirBnB.
I don’t know how I’d manage to book via a nameless organisation! We have used numerous options for booking both here and abroad. At one time even going into the local library for a peek at The Lady which had a good range of accommodation options in their classifieds. But we haven’t been disappointed with any bookings made. So I see AirBNB as just another string to the bow.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have had some good deals on cottages. Not yet used ab&b but know many who have very successfully. I occasionally look on their web site and find the presentation impressive.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My children have used AirB&B's on several occasions, mostly with good results, but on a couple of occasions, the accommodation has been much worse than advertised. In one instance the "family" accomodation turned out to be a couple of rooms in an ex offenders hostel! They naturally they found somewhere else and an got their money back.

As with most things you have to do your research and choose carefully. As always its buyer beware.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Once owned a static 1970 to 1978, also daughter owned one used to use that one also.
Now if we want a change the daughter will book a cottage or airbnb and off we go.

Trevor

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I always rent a van with decking and ideally front patio doors. It’s great for the dog. Very mild tonight , sat with door open and dog is out there now. Its at the top of the park so he can sit there and monitor all comings and goings! It really is a lovely van.

What do you reckon, shall I hook up to the X-Trail and sneak away with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always rent a van with decking and ideally front patio doors. It’s great for the dog. Very mild tonight , sat with door open and dog is out there now. Its at the top of the park so he can sit there and monitor all comings and goings! It really is a lovely van.

Looks a really nice static, where is it sited?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

it looks nice but how many steps

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We book cottages through booking.com because i always go for free cancellation and pet friendly and enclosed garden for the dogs and also i get a discount been a genius.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried welcome cottages and sykes cottages, but not AirBnB so will be giving it a go thanks (y)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We've used Airbnb quite a lot in different places around the world and its always been a good experience.

Tried Booking.com once and the listing was deceptive and not like what we got which could only be described as low cost student accomodation.

Also not a good experience with Sykes where the accomodation was less than perfect and clearly the standards of the inspectors were somewhat lower than we expected.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We've used Airbnb quite a lot in different places around the world and its always been a good experience.

Tried Booking.com once and the listing was deceptive and not like what we got which could only be described as low cost student accomodation.

Also not a good experience with Sykes where the accomodation was less than perfect and clearly the standards of the inspectors were somewhat lower than we expected.

Good to here what you say about ab&b but I am surprised about Booking .com. I have not used them myself but my daughter swears by them. They did an involved tour including Veitnam and Cambodia a few years ago using them and is just finalising another similar tour around Singapour and Malasia. All levels of accommodation, internal flights and ferries and transfers.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Well our opinion is different to yours as we have always had a positive experience, nothing to complain about.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure given the number of listings these companies have some customers will have good and/or bad experiences.

We've only used Booking.com once and we were unlucky. To be fair most of the problem was due to the owners listing. They had several apartments in the block and the listing just had photos and details of the best bits of each. We got the short straw. Shortly after we gave a bad review the listing was removed from Booking.com. we also saw the same listing on another site that also withdrew it later on

However Booking.com must share some of the fault since they should have verified the listing.

User reviews have to be taken with caution since expectations clearly differ.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts