Status 570 TV antenna

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've just got a new caravan with one of these fitted but I am removing it immediately as it's useless in Europe and obstructing valuable cupboard.

No problem with removing and adequately sealing the hole in the roof (NOT with the supplied red plug but with a domestic waste pipe fittings plastic plug which i a nice smooth fit and with a touch of sealer has made a good neat easy to remove seal)

There are 3 cables going to the mast. A white coax which connects to the amplifier. a black coax which connects to another black coax going who knows where and a thin red 'ordinary' cable.

Since disconnecting the radio reception has been poor so presumably on of these is the radio antenna.

The instructions do not mention which connection is which and I;m in a bit of a hurry to get it sorted before embarking on a maiden trip in the new van to France. Can anyone advise please - any solution using existing cablles otherwhise I shall have to pull out the radio and connect another antenna directly to it.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi , we have a sprite major 6 with a fixed antenna dish, looking at my box now (as it on the drive) the first 3 from the left are TV points , then forth one is Am FM radio cable then far right shows a cable for the antenna if that is any good ?

Craig

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
RayS said:
I've just got a new caravan with one of these fitted but I am removing it immediately as it's useless in Europe and obstructing valuable cupboard.

No problem with removing and adequately sealing the hole in the roof (NOT with the supplied red plug but with a domestic waste pipe fittings plastic plug which i a nice smooth fit and with a touch of sealer has made a good neat easy to remove seal)

There are 3 cables going to the mast. A white coax which connects to the amplifier. a black coax which connects to another black coax going who knows where and a thin red 'ordinary' cable.

Since disconnecting the radio reception has been poor so presumably on of these is the radio antenna.

The instructions do not mention which connection is which and I;m in a bit of a hurry to get it sorted before embarking on a maiden trip in the new van to France. Can anyone advise please - any solution using existing cablles otherwhise I shall have to pull out the radio and connect another antenna directly to it.

I assume you realise that by removing the antenna yourself and not having it done by a dealer you have probably invalidated your warranty?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
RayS said:

Something must be wrong with it as it certainly should work on European TV, just as it does on UK TV here.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I don't know about the 570, but I soon got rid of my Status 315 because........

* It was totally useless unless in a very strong reception area.
* It resulted in my 'van exceeding the 2.6m height point for ferries.
* It was an unnecessary 2kg stuck right up at the highest point.
* Once removed, the base serves as an excellent cable entry point for the PV panel.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
VicMallows said:
I don't know about the 570, but I soon got rid of my Status 315 because........

* It was totally useless unless in a very strong reception area.
* It resulted in my 'van exceeding the 2.6m height point for ferries.
* It was an unnecessary 2kg stuck right up at the highest point.
* Once removed, the base serves as an excellent cable entry point for the PV panel.

The 315 'Flying Saucer' was pretty useless for analogue TV but IME experience generally worked quite well on digital (for which there are good technical reasons.) The 570 is a directional aerial which will work well anywhere in the UK or Europe. However unless you have a suitable converter or a European TV your TV (not the aerial) will now no longer work in France after they changed transmission formats in April 2016. You may also have problems in other countries where terrestrial TV is gradually being switched off in favour of fibre or cable - Germany is one such area.

I don't know which ferry you use but I have never had any difficulty with caravan height v charges. My last van (with a 315) was 2.84m at the high point, my current van (with a 530) is 2.76m highest and I have been charged the same for both (van change mid year between pre-booked crossings.)

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Woodentop said:
I don't know which ferry you use but I have never had any difficulty with caravan height v charges. My last van (with a 315) was 2.84m at the high point, my current van (with a 530) is 2.76m highest and I have been charged the same for both (van change mid year between pre-booked crossings.)

On the Spanish routes there is £60 each- way difference between 'up to 2.6m' and 'up to 3.0m.'

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
On my many trips to Calais, I have never knowingly been checked for height or length, so unless someone can tell me differenty, just get on with it.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
BedfordGeorge said:
On my many trips to Calais, I have never knowingly been checked for height or length, so unless someone can tell me differenty, just get on with it.

Probably doesn't apply on the Dover-Calais ferries as they are designed for very quick embarkation/de-embarkation. However many of the ships on the longer crossings have mezzanine decks. If you declare 2.6m you may find yourself directed to one of these. The Status then stands a good chance of losing (at least) its spike :unsure: :unsure:

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
VicMallows said:
BedfordGeorge said:

Probably doesn't apply on the Dover-Calais ferries as they are designed for very quick embarkation/de-embarkation. However many of the ships on the longer crossings have mezzanine decks. If you declare 2.6m you may find yourself directed to one of these. The Status then stands a good chance of losing (at least) its spike :unsure: :unsure:

You can of course take the spike off - it just unscrews but the unit is still watertight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts