Statutory Consumer Rights, Warranties and Guarantees

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Statutory Consumer Rights, Warranties and Guarantees

I have recently found a number of web sites that relate to Consumer Rights, Warranties and Guarantees, and I have been impressed with the clarity of thought and explanation they provide. Whilst they are not specifically caravan based, its the principals that are important, and examples may help to explain certain concepts.

If you are interested in these matters or have a particular question about a matter, a few minutes reading the articles may help to answer your concerns, or point you in the right direction.

As always. if you are in doubt about your position it is always wise to seek profesional advice.

Please see the web page addresses for all intellectual rights and references.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/consumer-rights/1932744/description-lg-monitors-warranty-misleading
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/consumer-rights/1939415/whats-difference-guarantees-extended-warranties-statutory-rights
The following link sends you to web site that looks at SoGA from the retailers perspective, but whats good for them is also good for us consumers.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1074027367

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I am surprised that you never posted links to SOGA itself or any links for releavant info on the CAB website? Pity more people did not realise that most warranties are not worth the paper they are writen on as SOGA and Distance Selling Regs cover you for up to 6 years so no need for warranties etc. It is almost amazing the number of people who approach the manufacturer when an item goes faulty when the issue is with the supplying dealer and not the manufacturer.
People need to be educated that they are covered by SOGA for 6 years and recourse is through the dealer and not the manufacturer. Any issues they should be demanding the dealer rectify and not let the dealer fob them off with all sorts of excuses.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Surfer,

I and others have previusly posted links to varous offical web sites, including SoGA, CAB and Consumer Direct and in many of those cases they do not necesarrily give clear examples, or explanations or are writen in language that tends towards the legalese.

These links impressed me with the examples, the clarity and reasoning behind the explinations in plain English - especially the Computer active pages, where it explained why certain customer expectations were unreasonable and could not be met. Although these were computer related issues, I felt it was relatively easy to see parallels in the caravan industry.

They are also important because it shows that the law is fair, and considers both the consumer's and the seller's position. Consumers should not expect to gain from having a problem or fault.

Even the Govt' Business link web site I consider to written well and gives a valuable insight into what all traders should know and are leagally obliged to practice. If we know what they are supposed to do - we can challenge them more effectively when they fail or worse try to evade a legitimate claim.

Sadly there is still an underground movement in the retail trade that seeks to evade their legal responsibilities by playing on the lack of understanding of the public.

It is a shame that there is such widespread ignorance of consumer rights, as I am convinced if most people knew their rights and excersised them (fairly and honestly) our retailers would actually realise there are longer-term benefits to be had for all.

For example; stronger customers who refuse to be manipulated and fobbed off, will mean that dealers/retailers themselves have to become stronger with their suppliers and this ripple effect would eventually reach the manufacturers who would have to buck up their ideas and reduce manufacturing errors.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "

oops, someone been banned ? what for ?"

Just a troll who infiltratred the forum , but has been dealt with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts