Steadies

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I'm well aware that the corner steadies aren't designed to take the weight of the van and shouldn't be so used. However if I want to raise or lower the front, for example. to allow water to run off when washing can i use the steadies to briefly support the van while adjusting the jockey wheel? So if i want to raise the front I wind the jockey wheel down as far as possible, wind the steadies down to support the front, wind the jockey wheel up and then unclamp it and lower it so the van is supported by it and then repeat as necessary. I hope the explanation makes sense but if not I'm sure you know what I mean.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
From what you've written, yes.
The steadies shouldn't be used as jacks to raise or lower your caravan so as long as you raise and lower using the jockey wheel the steadies can be used to support your caravan while you adjust the jockey wheel.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The vast majority of the weight will still be on the wheels. If you use the steadies to keep the van in a position already determined by the jockey wheel that's OK.. After all that's how you level the van normally.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is always a good idea to store the caravan with one end higher than the other to allow rain to run off, but as the others say, use the jockey wheel rather than the steadies to do this. I have had the jockey wheel collapse on me though and that required the steadies to raise the front, but otherwise I would avoid it.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the sound advice. I didn't think it would be an issue but good to have it confirmed. As I said in my post it will only rest on the steadies whilst I adjust the jockey wheel and it will only be the jockey wheel that is used to make the height adjustments.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the sound advice. I didn't think it would be an issue but good to have it confirmed. As I said in my post it will only rest on the steadies whilst I adjust the jockey wheel and it will only be the jockey wheel that is used to make the height adjustments.
The same technique is used if you are on a downward sloping pitch and you have to re-set the jockey wheel to level the caravan.
Carry out the steadies procedure and when you wind down the jockey wheel with the steadies exrended you can position wooden blocks, stacking pads or whatever to wind the steadies down on to when the caravan is level fore and aft.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts