Steel Canopy Poles

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
After 4 outings the zinc plated poles on my sun canopy have started to corode even though they were dried when put away and have been dry stored, as I have always had aluminium frames on my main awning have no experience as to whether this is normal or not.

Any any advice would be apprciated as the warranty is coming to an end soon.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Robert,

When you say corrode, you mean a grey powdery build up or do you mean red rust?

The grey powdery build up is the natural protective layer on the zinc plated surface, the shiny zinc plate needs to form this layer to provide the protection, it's unsightly but don't rub it off. If you look at your van chassis it should look somewhat similar.

On the subject of WD40 and other products, one day I really should print a list of "lower cost equivalents". People that use WD40 may like to know that de-odorised paraffin oil is a remarkably similar material.

Robert

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
There is a powdery build up and its very bubbled on the surface but also in the storage bag there is red rust coloured powder. This is apparent in small areas on some of the poles but may well have come from inside them. Is this something to be worried about.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
The powdery grey build up is OK - this is the passivated zinc oxide surface of the galvanised pole.

The red powder in the bag is probably rust, and my guess is that if you have poles linked by springs, then one of those has gone a bit rusty.

It sounds likely that the storage bag was at one time or maybe still is a bit damp inside.

Is any of this worth your concern? It's a good idea to keep a grip on corrosion, and it seems that the poles are OK. You could spray paint the poles with something like Hammerite, but with (mis)handling of the poles this will chip and scrape off. You could coat the poles with a petroleum product, but this will affect the waterproofing of the awning where they come in contact. Suggest you leave as is.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts