Sterilising Solution

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Sorry - Done it again ! - Mods please move to GENERAL ! - Thanks :)

First outing of the season coming up very soon :) and I understand it’s advisable to flush the water system through with a sterilising fluid. I’ve read a few posts, and the general consensus seems to be the reccomendation of a solution containing either Milton or Puriclean, although most of those posts are a few years old, so thought it worth asking in case there are any better options. Worth mentioning that the van’s just approaching a year old if that makes any difference ...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated guys. What do you do ?

Thanks,

Ic.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t think the posts are all that old as within the last month responded to a similar question to your from I think it was Janb. But yes Puriclens or Milton or any own brand sterilising solution will do the job. And remove the water filter if you have one before sterilising.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have a water filter, remove it and replace after sterilising the system with a new one, or better still do not replace the filter, it is not needed and can be a source of problems.
If using Milton make sure you adhere to the dilution levels as per the bottle and under no circumstances allow undiluted Milton to come in contact with the sink.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys.

Sorry, but not quite clear regarding the filter.

I’m assuming you mean this one ? ...

fmuzya.jpg

As you can see, I have removed it as suggested, but it seems to be a sealed unit in that the filter mesh is bonded within the plastic housing. Of course I can’t flush the water system through with the filter removed as this would flood the van. Are you suggesting to completely eliminate the whole filter housing assembly from the system, as in this ? ...

2ec40zk.jpg

Is the stainless mesh inside the clear plastic insert the only level of filtration within this unit, or is there also a paper one inside the black housing ? - The only reason I ask is because the stainless filter is spotlessly clean, and so I can’t understand why it would be advisable to replace either the plastic/mesh insert or the black assembly housing with a brand new one ?

Edit: - A couple of additional questions ...

Should I make sure that the Truma Combi boiler is full of clean (untreated) water prior to flushing with the Milton solution, and avoid opening any hot taps, to avoid to possibility of any solution entering the boiler due to possible corrosive effects, or should I start with the boiler empty, and allow the solution to fill the boiler and flow out through the hot taps to also sterilise the hot water system ?

I was thinking to make an aqua roll full of solution, flush it through until a good flow from all taps, and then leave for a short period, before flushing through with clean water. Understanding the corrosive effects, how long should I leave the solution in the (closed) system before flushing through with clean water ? - Or should I only flush through with the solution and not leave it in a (closed) system for any length of time ?

I appreciate that this may seem trivial to some, but I haven’t done this before on our van, and never did it with the folding camper either :)

Many thanks again guys,

Ic.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your filters do look complex and different from any I’ve seen. So hopefully others can give you some guidance.
Regarding the combi I would look at the makers handbook or their website for information on cleaning it.

I’ve only ever left sterilising fluid in for one hour and like you suggest I fill the aqua roll and fill the whole system.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Icarus,

Seeing your pictures reinforces my belief that we need some clarification on what most of us are referring to as "Filters" The components we are concerned with are designed to remove impurities (particulate, bacterial and some taste related products) and will consist of a tightly packed packet of activated carbon or ceramic particles.

There are a number of different designs, usually mounted as part of an exterior pump inlet housing, or in the pipe work close to the cold water inlet, or as an in line filter in the pipework before the first cold tap. There are a number of different manufacturers.

What you have pictured is not one the devices we are concerned about. From your pictures, I cannot identify the appliance or the manufacturer, but it is clearly only a mesh filter for stopping larger particles and it has no fine filtering function. Consequently it will not be adversely affected by a sterilising solution used in the correct dilution and for the right duration.

Your mesh is clearly designed to be removed so you can clear out any collected detritus. You should this and refit it before sterilising your system. Judging from the pictures its not a component that is likely to deteriorate with age of needing annual or seasonal replacement, but do check you appliance manufacturers maintenance instructions.
But there should be no need to replace it

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Prof & Clive. I thought it was just me !

Every post I have read about sterilising the water system in a Caravan refers to “Removing the filter”, as though its immediately obvious where and what “The filter” is. Apart from the strainer on the end of the hose which goes into the aqua roll, I can’t think of any other filter which people could be referring to other than the one in my pic.

Just for clarification, (and hopefully further advice :p ) as to which filter I must remove before flushing the system through with Milton, I will post a pic of my pump and surrounding pipework/components ..

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
OK, here it is ...

sgjrs7.png

From my understanding ...

1 - Filter
2 - Pump
3 - Some sort of reciever/accumulator ?
4 - Drain Valve

I’m still not sure then Prof as to which filter people are insisting must be removed prior to flushing with Milton, unless they do mean the complete black filter housing assembly (1), in which case it must have additional filter media in there in addition to the removable strainer otherwise I can’t understand the need for removal or replacement ?

Thanks,

Ic.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My arrangement is very similar to yours but has no filter, which is a blessing. Yours is the Flojet filter/strainer which as you say is mesh. It can be cleaned in a sink then replaced for sterising. All I have is a mesh strainer in pipe which goes from the aqua roll to the caravan water inlet. Yet the handbook says I should have one. But as Damian has said active carbon-silver replacement filters serve almost no purpose as water supplies in UK and Europe are good. In fact they could do harm if not replaced regularly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
OK, here it is ...

sgjrs7.png

1 - Filter
2 - Pump
4 - Drain Valve

I’m still not sure then Prof as to which filter people are insisting must be removed prior to flushing with Milton, unless they do mean the complete black filter housing assembly (1), in which case it must have additional filter media in there in addition to the removable strainer otherwise I can’t understand the need for removal or replacement ?

Thanks,

Ic.

Hello Icarus

Thank you for the general layout picture.

Using your numbers

1 - strainer (Not a carbon water filter)
2 - Pump
3 - Surge damper (A pneumatic shock absorber to prevent unnecessarily fast switching of the water pump and to equalise the pressure between hot and cold systems which can lead to temperature instability at the shower)
4 - Drain Valve.

The black housing does not need to be removed. Only the strainer should be taken out and cleaned then reassembled before sterilising the whole system.

Not every caravan manufacture fits a carbon water filter so your caravan may not have one, but there is no carbon water filter of the type of concern in the picture you have supplied.

Some manufactures do fit an "inline carbon water filter" just before the first tap, but it is not evident in the picture you have supplied.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Icaru5 said:
OK, here it is ...

sgjrs7.png

1 - Filter
2 - Pump
4 - Drain Valve

Thanks,

Ic.

Hello Icarus

Using your numbers

2 - Pump
3 - Surge damper (A pneumatic shock absorber to prevent unnecessarily fast switching of the water pump and to equalise the pressure between hot and cold systems which can lead to temperature instability at the shower)
4 - Drain Valve.

The black housing does not need to be removed. Only the strainer should be taken out and cleaned then reassembled before sterilising the whole system.

Not every caravan manufacture fits a carbon water filter so your caravan may not have one, but there is no carbon water filter of the type of concern in the picture you have supplied.

Some manufactures do fit an "inline carbon water filter" just before the first tap, but it is not evident in the picture you have supplied.

Thanks Prof. I’m wondering then if when some refer to “The Filter”, they are referring to the strainer on the end of the Truma hose, as in this ? ...

nozzvt.jpg

I haven’t removed, or even looked at what’s inside, maybe it’s just a plastic strainer, or has a paper filter inside.

It may be that with the best of intentions some are suggesting to “remove the filter” because that’s what they’ve been advised to do by others without really understanding why ...

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
With being away i'm playing catch up here !! Keep going Lc and asking , cos I'm thinking the same questions but your beating me to it !! Glad you've the same layout and equipment as us !!!

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
With being away i'm playing catch up here !! Keep going Lc and asking , cos I'm thinking the same questions but your beating me to it !! Glad you've the same layout and equipment as us !!!

:p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
ProfJohnL said:
Icaru5 said:
OK, here it is ...

sgjrs7.png

1 - Filter
2 - Pump
4 - Drain Valve

Thanks,

Ic.

Hello Icarus

Using your numbers

2 - Pump
4 - Drain Valve.

Thanks Prof. I’m wondering then if when some refer to “The Filter”, they are referring to the strainer on the end of the Truma hose, as in this ? ...

nozzvt.jpg

I haven’t removed, or even looked at what’s inside, maybe it’s just a plastic strainer, or has a paper filter inside.

It may be that with the best of intentions some are suggesting to “remove the filter” because that’s what they’ve been advised to do by others without really understanding why ...

Your picture is of a strainer. No paper element. The confusion is easy to understand as some owners handbooks refer to the installed Flojet item as a filter. Yet Flojet call it a filter/strainer. Other caravan sytems have filters which are active carbon/silver and have easily replaceable cartridges. Others have an external replaceable filter again comprising active carbon. Strictly I would describe the unit shown as No 1 in the above photo as a strainer which can be left in during sterilising whereas those with replaceable active carbon should have the replaceable element removed during sterilising.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Thanks to all.

Will sterilise tomorrow, and leave everything in place ! :p

Ic.

And may I say thank you to all to as I've getting a few things answered also to just by reading this thread & many contributed posts.
Thankyou . (Lc & all)
Craig

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Also Lc, opposite the diagram off the pump and filter we have the charger on the side of our mains unit , I realised this weekend that whilst in transit the charger had dropped out of place as mine was only held in place with two screws on the top end, yours could be the same , you may want to secure it on the underneath somehow with another screw or 2 like I am going to.

Craig .

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Craig ...

Anyway, back on topic ...

I would still appreciate advice from others who have the Truma Combi as to whether they allow the sterilising solution to fill the Combi-Boiler, or is is this best avoided due to a potential corrosion risk to the tank and heating elements ?

Thanks,

Ic.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Thanks Craig ...

Anyway, back on topic ...

I would still appreciate advice from others who have the Truma Combi as to whether they allow the sterilising solution to fill the Combi-Boiler, or is is this best avoided due to a potential corrosion risk to the tank and heating elements ?

Thanks,

Ic.
t

Would it mot be better to see if specific info is in the Combi handbook, caravan owners manual or Combi manufactures website? They would also have a contact line for queries. For what it's worth I've sterilised my systems twice a year and never had a problem with my water heater. But admitted that's not a Combi boiler.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Icaru5 said:

nozzvt.jpg

It's some time since I looked in detail at newer caravans, but historically I have never seen a carbon filter fitted on the water barrel hose. You describe it as a strainer, and that is what it is - its not a carbon filter. The device in teh picture can be safely sterilised just as the strainer just up stream of the flojet pump.

The Truma Combi heater can be safely sterilised using the products already discussed with the proviso the cleaners are used in accordance with teh manufactures instructions for dilution and time in contact with the system.

Clive's suggestion of refereeing to the manufacturers instructions really should be your first call for information, as its a reliable source and may mention something we forget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts