Sterling Elite Amber 2011 or Swift Conquerer 570 2011

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi Beachball , Thanks for your welcome. I am purchasing this Sterling Elite Amber 2011 once some of these Covid-19 travel restrictions have been lifted. Any comment on this model would be appreciated. Just cannot find anything on Google referring to the Alde heating in the bathroom. I believe it's a concealed Alde convector radiator at approximately floor level under a plinth.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
The pictures in this old sales advert show the bathroom having the concealed radiator:

As for the length, I would guess at 2-3'.

The Conqueror is effectively the same caravan so it looks the same too.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for your replies, it looks as if there is a concealed (under floor plinth) Alde finned convector radiator. Apparently these type of Alde convector radiators give 400w heat per metre as long as there is adequate venting
So need to find out length of convector radiator and if needed add more or a larger vent on the top of the boxed in section which I have been calling a plinth. Any comments advice welcome.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for your replies, it looks as if there is a concealed (under floor plinth) Alde finned convector radiator. Apparently these type of Alde convector radiators give 400w heat per metre as long as there is adequate venting
So need to find out length of convector radiator and if needed add more or a larger vent on the top of the boxed in section which I have been calling a plinth. Any comments advice welcome.

Why do you need to change it, do they have a reputation if not being adequate?

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
The dealer agreed to add Alko ATC but now says instead of fitting ATC he will supply and fit a 100 watt solar panel and a Alde towel rail in the bathroom. So just checking the bathroom warmth, Alde tell me their towel rails are 200 watt and the equivalent Alde convector radiator would be 500mm long. It seems the dealer is not keen on retro fitting ATC.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think you have a delemia, questions.
1, will you be going away in the caravan off hook up, so do you need a solar panel.
2 will you be going away in the winter, so will you need the heating in the bathroom, we don't close bathroom door so heating foes all the way through the van.
3, how often and how far will you be towing the caravan, so is the Alko ATCneeded, ( I like the ATC. )

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Hutch, Yes we do camp off hook-up so solar panel is a yes. The warm bathroom issue, if the Alde finned convector is 500mm or longer which equals 200 watts of heat will stay with it, as Alde tell me their towel rails are a max of 200 watts. But until I view the caravan cannot work out a solution to the bathroom warmth issue, or maybe there is no issue. Will get the dealer to connect up electric and switch on heating an hour or so before I view. ATC was one of my purchasing caravan parameters and had started to go away from the ATC parameter but the more I think about it an extra safety measure is always good so probably go back to the dealer with a proposal to include ATC.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
If you're viewing the caravan in the daytime, in summer, the bathroom will be warm anyway! - I doubt you will get a fair assessment.

The obvious benefits of a towel rail over the standard radiator, thermal performance aside, would be the ability to dry a towel! Something I wish my caravan had. As it has blown air heating, there is a single vent in the end-washroom; the Truma unit is brilliant at heating the van, but the pipe for the washroom is routed externally underneath the van for 2metres, therefore the washroom is never warm. I doubt ALDE systems have this issue.

I cannot comment on ATC as I do not have it, but my caravan is nowhere near my car's max towing limit.

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Custard avenger, After doing more research it appears the 2011 model had an Alde finned convector in the bathroom boxed in with vents. The 2012 model stayed with the same finned convector but added a towel rail. If this is correct it would seem a possible option for me.

TRENDING THREADS