Stolen caravans flooding the UK market

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
Noticed the article on Stolen caravans flooding the UK market, this along with seeing some other threads on Stolen caravans on the Forum, made me wonder if there are any statistics on the subject and if Practical Caravan has ever done any independent analysis on current trends such as Age, Type, Security, Location ect. Alternatively dose anybody know of a website that may have data. I am sure that others would like the information so that I can make an assessment of the Risk associated with say living or visiting a particular area or parking in the services and leaving the caravan unattended but secured.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, that would be interesting. 'Flooding the UK market' suggests that appreciable numbers are involved, but I'd like to know where they come from as caravan thefts are practically unheard of here in Germany. Like most other owners in this country, in over 20 years of caravanning I've never used any anti-theft devices whatsoever and quite a number of caravans are parked out in the street for weeks on end.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thats very impressive Lutz, wish the same could be said for our shores! Why do you think there is such a difference here in the UK compared to Germany? If my van is at home or in storage there is a combination of Alko wheel lock, Hitch lock, Tracker + a multi zone alarm with mobile notification in operation at all times.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Because caravans are registered with their own number plate over here, just like any other vehicle, unless false number plates are applied, accompanied by a forged log book, it's almost impossible to use a stolen caravan other than as a static. As a result, there just is no market for stolen caravans. Romany gypsies in this country tend to have the latest model big twin axle Tabberts or something similarly expensive. The money with which they were bought was possibly not earned in absolutely straightforward ways, but the caravans themselves were purchased quite legally through dealers, just like yours or mine.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

Yes, that would be interesting. 'Flooding the UK market' suggests that appreciable numbers are involved, but I'd like to know where they come from as caravan thefts are practically unheard of here in Germany. Like most other owners in this country, in over 20 years of caravanning I've never used any anti-theft devices whatsoever and quite a number of caravans are parked out in the street for weeks on end.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think British and vandalism go hand in hand , i did notice when i worked in Germany in tht 70s , that they had cigarette machines on the walls outside bars or restaurants , i thought then they would last about half an hour at home , before they would be ripped from the wall , another trick was putting 5 pence coins in the machines , they were the same size of the Mark , so a pack of cigarettes cost 15 pence , a few years ago we were visiting my wifes cousin in the Dordogne region of France , and in the market square in Carlucet was a small wooden bar wich was built by an apprentice carpenter for the village to use for weddings and functions and what amazed me was it had a fridge fitted and had been there 3 years , it wouldnt been there for 3 mins over here , when we were in the canary islands a few years ago ,and the world cup was on ,we had to go back to our apartments because of gangs of young drunken British roaming around trying to cause trouble ,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes that obviously goes a long way to preventing theft Lutz, I suppose here in the UK the Criss system has helped a little, but we still have the culture where some believe what belongs to others also belongs to them.
We was over in Cyprus last year, and driving back to our Hotel late one evening we stooped in the middle of nowhere to re fuel at one of these automated petrol pumps with no attendant, try as I may I could not understand how it worked, then four youths appeared out of the darkness on scooters, and I thought here we go, but no to my surprise they took my bank note inserted it in to the machine and proceeded to fuel my car!!!! Had that had been back here in blighty there would have been a strong chance that we would have been left standing there at the pump as they drove of with our car and processions.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Like Lutz, I've never heard of a caravan theft here in France.
When we changed insurance this year I asked for confirmation about security devices & the broker seemed shocked that we thought any were necessary.
I don't know if the fact that caravans are registered in their own right makes a difference but do think that 'Travellers' in Mainland Europe tend to be Romanies rather than 'Tinkers' makes some difference.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I think if you read Lord Braykewyndes post he has gone some way to the answer as to caravan thefts, he like all of us have to pussyfoot around these sort of people, we are no longer able to call a spade a spade, gone are the days of free speach due to the fact we may offend someone.
This country has gone too soft on crime and thoses who commit crime therefore there is little or no deterrant, so those that wish to take what they think is theres do so in the knowledge that the "full force" of the law is actually as soft as the contence of a thetford.
Should this posting be removed then all I can say is "I rest my case."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts