Stolen caravans

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Liverbird,

The UK National Caravan Council (NCC) have created a voluntary registration scheme for caravans. All new UK caravans purchased since 1992 are automatically included on the register. Unfortunately it is only voluntary and when some caravans have been sold on the second hand market, the new owners have not always updated the registration details. You can also conduct an HPI check through CRIS.

You can contact CRIS at

What it can't do is to tell you about any break downs or faults.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you are buying from a dealer you should be OK, but buying via an auction site is definitely 'buyer beware' (see other threads). The big caravan killer is damp which can be entirely hidden and can occur in vans of any age. If you are new to the game you can pay for a caravan inspection and at least take a caravanning friend with you too! You can be cautious and only ever view a van at the owner's property and ask to see service and damp test records. I'm afraid my experience of viewing vans privately is repeated 'economy with the truth' although there are also definitely genuine sellers out there, but after travelling several miles to view several vans I bought from a dealer with a known history and a good warranty - and a starter pack of bits (aquaroll waste and fresh cost about £100 for example).

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I would add even more caution. Only buy from a franchised dealer or one who is recommended to you. We bought our first one from a dealer and it turned out to be rotten. I took him to County Court and he paid on the steps. I know he sold the caravan again without correcting the rot. A few years later his place burned down.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Providing you take due care buying privately need not be a risk. Many older hobbyists sell their caravans due to health reasons, or just the effects of age creeping up on them. They will have conscientiously maintained their caravans and are able to present service records. Often they are keen to sell everything and having the totality of the kit down to plates and cutlery means the new owner has a ready start.
But just like buying a car make sure the seller has legal title. Not having CRIS isn’t necessarily a show stopper as service records, insurance policy and purchase invoices etc can help. Make sure it’s been damp checked relatively recently, have an independent survey carried out for additional confidence.

Not all private sellers are crooks just as not all dealers are sleazy. But the private buyer must be aware that the CRA 2015 isn’t a help if disputes arise. But the private buyer can take out an insurance backed policy against breakdown and damp providing the caravan has been serviced and damp checked with satisfactory results.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are two potential ownership problems when buying secondhand, stolen caravans and ones on HP.
If buying privately you need to be sure the seller has a good title. You can check the HP position with HPI and ownership with CRIS for a fee if you contact them with the serial number although neither are perfect.
Having done that you then need to make sure the seller has evidence of ownership and servicing records and if they cannot do this walk away as there are plenty more out there. Make sure there is a recent damp test report, or get a damp meter and check it your self.
Always make sure you see the seller at their home, not some storage area, nor have them bring it to you, as otherwise you cannot then guarantee they are who they say they are.
Get the seller to demonstrate that everything is working as things like heating and fridges are expensive to replace. If you know someone familiar with caravans it helps if they come with you.
Ask if you can have a caravan engineer check it over, even if you are not doing this. If they say no then be suspicious. You can get an engineer to check them, but it does cost, but in most cases it should be a wise precautions.
For a first time buyer a reputable dealer is a safer bet, you pay a bit more, but you should get a guarantee and everything should have been checked and be working. The choice is yours though.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Liverbird When we brought our Abbey Caravan it had the Service Book Stamp up right from new from Couplands Caravan Dealer Louth label on the outside near door also CRIS and paperwork also the seller showed us how to use everything when we send the CRIS and it came back we were second owners ..

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts