Stonehenge Rocks!

Feb 4, 2014
Now, what greater recommendation could you get for a popular heritage site here in Beautiful Wiltshire than one from The US President himself! 'How cool is this?' says Mr. Obama. Just a shame you have to be US President, or a druid priest, to get to walk amongst the majestic stones of the great Henge these days! At least us mere mortals are still allowed access to the stone circle at Avebury, (near Marlborough) where you can still get a wonderful feel for the ancient history of the area.

Apr 20, 2009
Drove past them last Saturday, added over half an hour to my journey, if people want to see them, GO and see them and dont rubber neck and hold others up. Perhaps a nice row of mature tree's to screen them would be in order.

But I did find myself looking at them though...............fascinating :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mar 14, 2005
Don't understand what all the fuss is about,the stones were moved in Victorian times and concreted in hardly original,and why close a road, then be surprised when traffic chaos ensues

Mar 14, 2005
Hi Gafferbill
IMO the traffic is worse past the stones since the road was closed that used to lead from the 303 to Shrewton now all westboud traffic has to continue on the single carriageway to the next roundabout, to rejoin the Shrewton road you have to follow the new route past the new visitor centre and you eventually reach the original Shrewton Road.
Delays are inevitable at the roundabout on the 303 due to the traffic volume

May 24, 2014
We are off to the New Forest next month and as my wife hasnt been to the Henge, I thought I would take her. Checking on the Stonehenge Website ( English Heritage) I was stunned to find that not only do you need to book in advance, you also have to book a 30 minute timed slot. I wonder whether Oldbarmy booked or just turned up. Ill bet he didnt pay either, cant see him being a paid up member of EH.

Mar 14, 2005
The whole A303 west of Amesbury is a mess with several sections of 2 lane between sections of dual, and then going to alternate two and single lane near Ilminster. Living near Wincanton we have to suffer this whichever way we go.

The idea of the Stonehenge tunnel was particularly ridiculous as the intention was to return the surface landscape to it's 'origial condition'. I.e. To put the stones into their original landscape.

Yet another pressure group has just appeared and is raising a petition to dual the whole length of A303 but I doubt I shall be around to see iy

Jul 15, 2008
RayS said:
The idea of the Stonehenge tunnel was particularly ridiculous as the intention was to return the surface landscape to it's 'origial condition'. I.e. To put the stones into their original landscape.

Yet another pressure group has just appeared and is raising a petition to dual the whole length of A303 but I doubt I shall be around to see iy
..........I don't agree Ray!

The only solution to the problem is to dual the missing link from Amesbury to past Winterbourne Stoke with part of the new road being submerged where it passes the Stones.

The A34 Newbury by- pass and the M3 extension through Twyford Down at Winchester took years to come to fruition but they are now in place.

........not long now before the A303 tunnel past the stones :whistle:

Mar 14, 2005
I don't understand why a tunnel is needed, standard dual carriageway will suffice and cost a lot less,IMO should have been built before closing the road at the side of the stones.

Jul 15, 2008
........as I understand it because Stonehenge is a World Heritage site there are planning restrictions in place that cannot legally be breached.
Any new road would have to be moved well away from the site and its environs or be hidden in a tunnel where it passes the stones.

Money was found for the Hindhead Tunnel on the A3 which preserved an area of outstanding natural beauty and was similarly the only way to improve the traffic flow of a heavily congested road.

Mar 14, 2005
Gaffer, I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong, but at 78 I very much doubt I shall be around to drive the 'new road'. The last plan was to dual only the part by Stonehenge itself and to revert to 2 lane before Winterbourne Stoke - how daft is that ? I have memories of similar discussin and promises about the A30 bypass around Salisbury, dating back to the 1960's but as you will know the partial ring road can hardly be called a bypass. The time scale of the A34 and M3 extension unfortunately only serve to reinforce my point.
The A303 dualling further west is all part of the same scheme and with similar timescales. Living near Wincanton our trips to Portsmouth are always fraught while the cross country to Poole is no better. But it's still a super place to live !

Nov 6, 2005
It's still unlikely to happen - it's just political campaigning ahead of next year's general election - none of the huge announcements this week are getting any new money not previously announced.

Jul 15, 2008
.......well I think the work will begin in the next Parliament.

If you know the road and its history you will know that the road now bypasses many towns and villages that it once drove through the middle of.
Most of these were controversial with opposition but they happened and this section which includes a bypass for Winterbourne Stoke is virtually unstoppable now.

I live near East Grinstead and there has been discussion about an A22 bypass for the town for 40 years.
The route has been planned which passes through 3 counties, West and East Sussex and Surrey.
So many parties would have to agree for the work to commence that it could easily take another 40 years!

Nov 6, 2005
Gafferbill said:
.......well I think the work will begin in the next Parliament.

If you know the road and its history you will know that the road now bypasses many towns and villages that it once drove through the middle of.
Most of these were controversial with opposition but they happened and this section which includes a bypass for Winterbourne Stoke is virtually unstoppable now.
You have more faith than I - on a roads forum, even the guys who run these sort of projects don't think that any more than a fraction of this £14bn "programme" will ever happen.

Jul 15, 2008
Crossrail happened despite a recession and its expected to cost more than £15 billion on its own!

Feb 3, 2008
Gafferbill said:
Crossrail happened despite a recession and its expected to cost more than £15 billion on its own!
But Crossrail is in London - there's always money for London ;) It's the same as all money for Wales always ends up being spent on Cardiff projects.

Mar 11, 2007
RogerL said:
Americans don't understand history - they haven't invented it yet!
The difference between an Englishman and an American is that "an American thinks that a 100 years is a long time and an Englisman thinks that a100 miles is a long way"

Nov 6, 2005
Brum1 said:
The difference between an Englishman and an American is that "an American thinks that a 100 years is a long time and an Englishman thinks that 100 miles is a long way"
I like that - a lot!

Jan 19, 2015
We lived in Amesbury for 10 years and we had free passes to Stone henge because our council tax went towards the upkeep. Even back then there was talk of the tunnel they cant build a dual carriageway as the land to the left of the A303 is a Ancient burial site and so the only way is to build a tunnel. We used to avoid the stones at all costs in the summer but we were luck as locals we know the shorcuts (many not suitable for towing) I have to say though as a tourist attraction I dont think a lot of tourist money ever came into Amesbury.

Oct 12, 2013
We were down there about 2 years ago , the traffic then due to the road works was terrible , but was shocked at the price to get in ( 4 off us ) , but we walked through the field off sheep at the edge of the then temp' car park and still got quite close , over hyped I think .

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts