Storage surprise?!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
In the latest light-hearted blog from Practical Caravan's columnist Martin Roberts, he ponders what goes on in his van when it is left at its winter storage site. Read more here. Have any of you made any post-storage discoveries?!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Didnt actually happen to us, but on a site that we used to store the caravan on, the security guard had been allowing a couple of homeless guys he knew to sleep in one of the vans. Cant name the site for obvious reasons but it made the local press. Of course the press blew it up out of all proportion, however, still bad enough if its your caravan.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is always a worry if the caravan is left on its own for any length of time. Ours is stored near the middle of a large tarmac area so i tend to hope that wildlife will simply opt for the caravans parked near the edge but not a reliable method.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The only surprise that I can report was a rather unpleasant one.
When we first bought our current caravan it was brand new and obviously we took (and still take) great care of it.
It was stored in a compound two minutes walk from our house where we thought that it would be safe because the storage site owner lives on site. Not long after we started to use the place I noticed a slight dent in the side of our caravan near to the back.
Friends who live nearby told me that the storage site owner had held a firework party for his young sons that weekend and it looks very much as though an airborne firework had caused the dent.
Needless to say, when I tackled the site owner about the damage he denied all knowledge and accepted no responsibility.
My revenge came a week later when we moved the caravan to it's current storage site where it is looked after, and our best friend and his parents both followed suit, so the original storage site owner lost three monthly rents and has lost a few more since then.
Our caravan isn't as close to home now but it's inside a nice dry and secure barn in the Worcestershire countryside five minutes from a junction of the M5, so we now collect the caravan on the way down the motorway that we use most regularly.
We found the new storage site via a friend of a friend and the farmer was happy to accommodate not only our caravan but the two others who followed us, so one might say that it's surprising what you can find if you ask around :)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Now that we store at home we could end up with any number of visitors, rats, mice, squirrels, got the lot.

Our worst problem is bird whoopsies and tree debris.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
we had a call today from the owner of our storage site, saying 'one of our vans is missing!'. They don't believe it's ours - who would nick a 12 yr old van with no cushions or shower and a pole-less awning. Feel sorry for the owners of van and site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts