Storage when buying a caravan

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Hi All

We are new to this and spent the weekend looking at goodness knows how many caravans to work out what we wanted and we have a good idea now, So kind of in a position to grab one when the right one comes on the market.

But the problem I have now is what do I do with the thing once I have it.

I checked our property deeds and storing a caravan on the drive is not an option so we are stuck with storage or seasonal pitch.

After lengthy discussions and number crunching with my wife our ideal situation is going to be to have a seasonal pitch which allows us to tour the van maybe once or twice a year, But after some looking around its pretty clear these are like gold dust. So I was thinking okay we stick it into storage until we find a seasonal pitch. Again - gold dust....

Everywhere seems to have waiting lists for everything :)

So I was just reaching out for some advice on what you think we should be doing. It sounds like I need to be putting myself on waiting lists and then paying for nothing for a while just to have a space ready for the van.

Am I missing something or is this just normal...

We live near Warrington - anyone know where there is any space ?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When we first started Caravanning, it was the same, could not buy a van until we had storage, luckily we found one fairly quickly, but now people are having to store their vans maybe 20 to 30 miles away, from their homes. And waiting lists, are incredible. Where we store the owner has just invested in an area for another 100 units.

Reactions: dx4100
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi All

We are new to this and spent the weekend looking at goodness knows how many caravans to work out what we wanted and we have a good idea now, So kind of in a position to grab one when the right one comes on the market.

But the problem I have now is what do I do with the thing once I have it.

I checked our property deeds and storing a caravan on the drive is not an option so we are stuck with storage or seasonal pitch.

After lengthy discussions and number crunching with my wife our ideal situation is going to be to have a seasonal pitch which allows us to tour the van maybe once or twice a year, But after some looking around its pretty clear these are like gold dust. So I was thinking okay we stick it into storage until we find a seasonal pitch. Again - gold dust....

Everywhere seems to have waiting lists for everything :)

So I was just reaching out for some advice on what you think we should be doing. It sounds like I need to be putting myself on waiting lists and then paying for nothing for a while just to have a space ready for the van.

Am I missing something or is this just normal...

We live near Warrington - anyone know where there is any space ?

Thanks

Some caravan storage establishments don't advertise for security reasons. But caravan and motorhome dealers may well have contact details. Worth a few phone calls.

John

Reactions: dx4100 and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our previous house and this one’s deeds restricted storage at home. No commercial vans, caravans, motor homes, trailers etc the usual stuff. But the covenants were over 15 years old and the developers had long gone. So there was no one really to enforce them and the developer had no interest. Newer developments admittedly can be more difficult.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the same problem over 30 years ago, at the time the dealer that we bought from offered the option of storage as part of the deal, so we took them up on it for the first van, eventually we bought the van home and now keep it behind gates in the garden. Just heard from a friend who did the same thing with the dealer when buying his van, but when he changed his van at another dealer the original one was not happy for the new van to be stored there. Can be a bit of a minefield, another forum user found that his storage site insisted on doing the annual service on his caravan as part of the storage contract.my advice, just keep looking until you find the caravan you want to buy, and try to get the dealer to help with storage, especially when you say that you can't complete the sale without storage.

Reactions: dx4100
Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Our previous house and this one’s deeds restricted storage at home. No commercial vans, caravans, motor homes, trailers etc the usual stuff. But the covenants were over 15 years old and the developers had long gone. So there was no one really to enforce them and the developer had no interest. Newer developments admittedly can be more difficult.

Dispute with someone living close by is the problem. The covenants can be enforced by anyone who is feeling at a loss by you violating them. Hasn't really got much to do with the original developer. Thanks anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dispute with someone living close by is the problem. The covenants can be enforced by anyone who is feeling at a loss by you violating them. Hasn't really got much to do with the original developer. Thanks anyway.
Thanks I know how the covenants work but rarely do they succeed mainly on grounds of cost to enforce them. The case can be undermined totally if the “naughty party” then complies prior to the covenant being enforced. For interest do your covenants exclude caravans, motor homes, trailers, commercial vehicles and if so are there any on the development, or is it a new development? How would a campervan used as a private vehicle stand?

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Thanks I know how the covenants work but rarely do they succeed mainly on grounds of cost to enforce them. The case can be undermined totally if the “naughty party” then complies prior to the covenant being enforced. For interest do your covenants exclude caravans, motor homes, trailers, commercial vehicles and if so are there any on the development, or is it a new development? How would a campervan used as a private vehicle stand?

It excludes caravans, boats and commercial vehicles and I haven't seen anyone violate that. It has a little catch all phrase saying any similar vehicles - so no doubt someone would be able to use that for a campervan.

Anyway - I see the benefit in these covenants so happy not to violate them myself. Does make my life a little more difficult with this issue but our real hope is to find a seasonal pitch to make weekend get aways much easier.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Unless the original developer is still actively involved in the development, these restrictive covenants are not really worth the paper they are written on. My last Estate was new build, within a few years every covenant was being studiously ignored, my current place has assorted arcane restrictions put in place by the former owner, a HA, also studiously ignored.

the local council, will certainly have no interest in expending public money on enforcing a non statutory nuisance, and any aggrieved neighbour would have to fund any legal challenge entirely out of their own pocket with no option to recover costs - and risk a neighbour dispute they will have to declare if they want to sell their home - (this change in the law curbed a lot of vexatious and petty neighbour complaints).
most of these covenants are also time limited, as for caravans etc, they nearly all only apply to parking of caravans forward of the building line - so in your back garden or alongside the house, in the clear.

as noted above, even if the covenant was enforced, simply moving the caravan renders the enforement action defunct - a lot of a neighbours money spent achieving nothing bar a neighbour dispute.

So, unless your estate is very new and the developer is minded to act, or has an incorporated residents association, (very few estates do), the chance of any action is vanishly small.

Just park it and see if anyone complains. In 10 years, not a single person has said ‘Do you know you’re not supposed to park caravans on your drive’ - although a few have admired it and asked for a look inside.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Read this morning, that after 12 years it would be difficulty to enforce the covenant and, virtually impossible after 20 years. this is from the time the covenant was first breached, not from when it was issued.
So if someone complains as soon as you park it there, thire chances are better. Even then if the builder is not interested, (left site a while back) without thire help would still be difficult.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Read this morning, that after 12 years it would be difficulty to enforce the covenant and, virtually impossible after 20 years. this is from the time the covenant was first breached, not from when it was issued.
So if someone complains as soon as you park it there, thire chances are better. Even then if the builder is not interested, (left site a while back) without thire help would still be difficult.
Whilst a complaint could be made the difficulty and/or cost of enforcing it mean the complainant is unlikely to pursue it. It’s not the sort of complaint that could affect your ability to sell the house, unless it escalated to other things.

In our last house the lady at the house at the bottom of our garden refused to trim her Leylandii down to the legal height. (8.5ft ??) unlike the previous owner. When asked she got very angry so I wrote her polite letter, which resulted in her coming round and haranguing my wife. I had judged my action as she had just put her house on the market. So I copied the letter to her estate agent. Result incandescence accused me of harassing her and would take legal action. A bit rich I thought coming from a solicitor. Anyway things dragged on and viewings dried up. She refused mediation, very expensive, which I knew she would. So I completed the forms to submit to the council and copied them to her. Result an untidy attempt to reduce the height which I said wasn’t acceptable. As we were by then ready to place our house on the market ( which she wasn’t aware of) I negotiated the purchase of a Stihl powered extendable long reach trimmer at her cost. So I tidied up the hedges agreed that I would withdraw my complaint and maintain the height of the hedges from thereon. Our house went on the market the next day and she was still in hers some months later. Within 12 months of moving into our new house out came my Leylandii.0EE99EC3-7BA5-4C00-8C60-239E827256A7.jpeg

Reactions: macandy and DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
as a solicitor, you would imagine she would have been aware any neighbour dispute now has to be declared by a vendor.
She was a nasty piece of work particularly over the pressure she applied to the previous elderly owner of her house during the purchase. We all got on with very well with the elderly gent I quite enjoyed putting her in that predicament by involving her estate agent. .

Reactions: macandy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts