Storing on a slope

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
I'm getting a Buccaneer Barracuda with a mover installed next year. I want to store it on my drive which is on a slope. How would you recommend I do this with the combination of gizmos that come on this van? Eg auto levelling as well as the additional mover etc. Thanks.

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi Beaker.

I would be using the Mover to get in position, leave it engaged whilst you level etc then apply handbrake and wheel chocks, corner steadies down then disengage the mover.

Kev
Thanks Kevin, I assume I will need to buy chocks. Do you know what the maximum slope is that the levelling system can manage and whether it would need to be perfectly level of if a degree of slope is OK for storage/parking?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If your insurer insists on Alko wheel lock(s) you will need to take them into consideration too.
Like above I never left the caravan handbrake on either in store or on site once it had been positioned.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Before you buy it, get the specification of the levelling system from a dealer. The maximum slop you can level on with a caravan is limited by the height from ground to the corner steady foot plate at each end, and the distance from axle to foot plate at each end. The self levelling specification will be given by the system supplier.
If I were you, I would measure the slope of the intended parking area of my drive.
Give this data to the caravan dealer and ask for an assurance that the caravan will do it. As they sell them, they should have access to the data.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would use the mover to get it in position but would not level it. If you leave it sloping the rain will run off the roof which prevents any ponding. You will need to move it at least a quarter of a wheel turn every couple of months to prevent any flat spots developing on the tyres.
Do make sure all water is drained from the system during storage to prevent freezes causing damage.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the Buccaneer with self levelling. On a slope don't try and use the auto levelling.
Use the manual mode to lower front steadies first to see the travel of the steady along the front foot pad. It should not go forward by more than 3/4 along the foot pad.
To lift the steadies use the lift symbol, but then switch off the unit when \the front steadies have lifted enough to slide a block under. Switch on and manually lower front steadies onto block. If you let the steadies rise all the way and then lower them again doing this 2 or 3 times may flatten the battery.
Find big enough block to place under the front steadies so that the front lifts to more or less level. We use these which are light weight. However it is always best to park up with a slight slope for rainwater to run off the roof.
We park up on a slight slope, but in our case the slope is towards the rear end. We do not use blocks and find the steadies are fine. Under no circumstances leave the handbrake engaged. The two wheel locks will hold the caravan in position anyway as the wheels cannot turn.

Reactions: BeakerAustin
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I don’t leave the handbrake on either but think it’s worthwhile mentioning it when initially getting it on the drive.
It would help if the OP would indicate the amount of slope to the driveway.

Kev

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Assuming the locks are one side, could you not get the one side staying put and the other side moving in an arc. It is also worth having that extra safety in case you forget the handbrake and just release the locks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Assuming the locks are one side, could you not get the one side staying put and the other side moving in an arc. It is also worth having that extra safety in case you forget the handbrake and just release the locks.
When I fitted an Alko the caravan wasn't going anywhere on its own free will. The accuracy of alignment for the security bolt into the chassis is so precise that even if you then release the handbrake it goes nowhere. What did cause it some slight problems were sinkage on the hardstanding during winter. This tightened up the security bolt so I had to sometimes just adjust it with the mover in order not to overstress the unlocking key bolt which could break it. Chocks are a good idea anyway so that when you remove the Alko if you have forgotten the handbrake they prevent mishaps. Also if you fit the Alko and then adjust the caravan for a slight slope on the roof that can tighten the Alko bolt too.

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
We have the Buccaneer with self levelling. On a slope don't try and use the auto levelling.
Use the manual mode to lower front steadies first to see the travel of the steady along the front foot pad. It should not go forward by more than 3/4 along the foot pad.
To lift the steadies use the lift symbol, but then switch off the unit when \the front steadies have lifted enough to slide a block under. Switch on and manually lower front steadies onto block. If you let the steadies rise all the way and then lower them again doing this 2 or 3 times may flatten the battery.
Find big enough block to place under the front steadies so that the front lifts to more or less level. We use these which are light weight. However it is always best to park up with a slight slope for rainwater to run off the roof.
We park up on a slight slope, but in our case the slope is towards the rear end. We do not use blocks and find the steadies are fine. Under no circumstances leave the handbrake engaged. The two wheel locks will hold the caravan in position anyway as the wheels cannot turn.
Yeah my van will be sloping backwards as well. I've just got home from holiday (yes I ordered my caravan whilst sipping on a Margarita on the beach! ;-)) hence the delay in giving any real info. The slope is approx 10 degrees.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
I don’t leave the handbrake on either but think it’s worthwhile mentioning it when initially getting it on the drive.
It would help if the OP would indicate the amount of slope to the driveway.

Kev
Hi, sorry I'm new to this, if OP is me, then I apologise, I was on my hols so couldn't get real data until now.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting a Buccaneer Barracuda with a mover installed next year. I want to store it on my drive which is on a slope. How would you recommend I do this with the combination of gizmos that come on this van? Eg auto levelling as well as the additional mover etc. Thanks.
I think you will just have to have it sloping a bit, don't use the self levelling, I hope you can do it manually.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts