Storm on the Atlantic Coast

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Would you believe it After many hours searching and asking the knowlegable people on the forum for recommendations on sites and places near La Rochelle - although it hasn't been televised we hear that there has been an almighty storm hit the Atlantic coast of France on 28th Feb.

Has anyone just returned or have any information regarding how severe the damage is and if it is likely to be suitable for a vacation in June, by the way we had chosen but haven't yet booked the site recommended on the forum which was Camping Les Sables near La Rochelle.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
This was well publicised, not least because many lost their lives when the sea wall in the vicinity of La Faute-s-Mer and L'Aiguillon-s-Mer was breached by the storm. A National Disaster was declared so resources could be mobilesed centrally.

Many of the houses in this area are below sea level, so any breach in the sea defences is potentially catastophic. However, this severe flood was localised but there was general storm damage across much of nortwest France. I have no doubt that tourism will be 'business as usual' in a few weeks.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I too intend spending time in the area of La Rochelle in a few months time and have searched high and low on the news reports trying to get some accurate info on the areas affected. All you get from the BBC and even France 24 is vague references to The Vendee. If it was south America we would be told exactly which village (as per the Chile earthquake)

However I don't intend worrying over much as already said things soon get sorted in tourist areas.

By the way I wouldnt advance book anything in June its not necesary honest.

Dave

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...the damage will soon be sorted as they are well used to storms in that area.

The area suffered a really bad one in the winter of 1999 and you did notice a lot less trees in the summer of 2000 but otherwise every thing was back to normal.

If you are going to Aytre /Camping Les Sables, then I can recommend the nearby Carrefour at Angoulins for your food shopping and fuel.

The beach at Ch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts