Strange decisions?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the past week we were on a very nice site in Somerset where the fully serviced pitches with water and waste water hookup were separated by tall hedges, but south facing so plenty of sunshine across the day. During our stay most of them were full. There were normal pitches with EHU only and plenty of water taps near them.
Strangely despite the rise in Covid infections etc quite a few people on the fully serviced pitches chose to use the facilities on the site instead of the facilities in their caravan even taking dishes across for washing? You pay extra for the super pitch so why not use it properly. Appreciate that it is their choice and money, but wonder why if it is a lot safer to use your own facilities?

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Buckman
We prefer to use superpitches,and use the site shower block also because,when booking ,particularly club sites,we know we will get a reasonably level pitch,and we will have a saved pitch for when we arrive which is often lateish on a Friday night. Also our shower is not the largest and is mostly full of clothes,not mine. Also the superpitch allows us to use the water for washing up,so we are in part using the pitch properly. Also having had a heart attack last year not having to fill aquaroll and empty waste is one less job to do,and we also find it is quicker to pack up from a superpitch. its just what we choose to do.Not sure the Covid threat is any less using your own facilities, unless you stay in the caravan for the whole of your stay. I think there is more risk involved in going out and mixing with crowds of people in towns, pubs etc.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We normally use our ownfacilitoes as we do believe the toilet bloack is an extra risk which we can avoid. The toilet block is not the only risk when away but you will be in close contact with strangers when it is not neccessary so why do it.
As one warden told me, if you book a pitch on a site with facilitoes you pay for them, yet you are also paying for the ones in the caravan so you pay twice whatever you do. On that basis it is simply up to you which you use.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We normally use our ownfacilitoes as we do believe the toilet bloack is an extra risk which we can avoid. The toilet block is not the only risk when away but you will be in close contact with strangers when it is not neccessary so why do it.
As one warden told me, if you book a pitch on a site with facilitoes you pay for them, yet you are also paying for the ones in the caravan so you pay twice whatever you do. On that basis it is simply up to you which you use.
Never mind Covid, it's always baffled me why so many buy caravans with full washroom facilities and go to sites with good toilet/shower facilities which they use. Is it just the eccentric British who do this?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Never mind Covid, it's always baffled me why so many buy caravans with full washroom facilities and go to sites with good toilet/shower facilities which they use. Is it just the eccentric British who do this?
An awful lot of caravans have had decent facilities now for at least 15 years or more, but it doesn’t mean you are compelled to use them. We preferred to shower on site if they provided showers. It suited our daily routine which was to shower late afternoon or early evening. What’s eccentric about exercising ones choice?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
An awful lot of caravans have had decent facilities now for at least 15 years or more, but it doesn’t mean you are compelled to use them. We preferred to shower on site if they provided showers. It suited our daily routine which was to shower late afternoon or early evening. What’s eccentric about exercising ones choice?
However would you still pay the extra for the fully serviced pitch or just take a normal pitch with EHU??

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However would you still pay the extra for the fully serviced pitch or just take a normal pitch with EHU??
I’ve only been on a serviced pitch twice and I used the water drain facility. I had no option but to use the SP as that’s all that was available. I didn’t use the water mains supply piped to the van as I had no inlet pipe work or adapters. We’ve always used the sink for washing up, but I see some on FSP toddle over to the site facilities to wash up. But I don’t consider it strange or eccentric.

But your question is irrelevant to the comments about using site shower facilities as you would have to try very hard to buy a caravan without facilities. Even my pop top Trigano Silver 420 DD had a shower and toilet. So the comparison between FSP and those who use site facilities is not logical. It never bothered us fetching water or draining the grey water, but we wouldn’t criticise those who for whatever reason prefer FSP. As BB would no doubt say “ each……..”

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve only been on a serviced pitch twice and I used the water drain facility. I had no option but to use the SP as that’s all that was available. I didn’t use the water mains supply piped to the van as I had no inlet pipe work or adapters. We’ve always used the sink for washing up, but I see some on FSP toddle over to the site facilities to wash up. But I don’t consider it strange or eccentric.

But your question is irrelevant to the comments about using site shower facilities as you would have to try very hard to buy a caravan without facilities. Even my pop top Trigano Silver 420 DD had a shower and toilet. So the comparison between FSP and those who use site facilities is not logical. It never bothered us fetching water or draining the grey water, but we wouldn’t criticise those who for whatever reason prefer FSP. As BB would no doubt say “ each……..”
No one is criticising those that pay the extra for the FSP as that is their choice, but just wondering why pay the extra for nothing and perhaps endanger yourself?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I book FSP every time it’s available and when looking for places to go I always look firstly for sites that have FSP’s, I’m healthy enough but I go away for a holiday so not having to fill and empty water supplies is great, I’ve no intention to use site facilities or the washing up area, I probably find sites with full services 95% of the time and I know there will be some good sites I’m missing but I can live with it.

BP

Reactions: DaveA1 and JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No one is criticising those that pay the extra for the FSP as that is their choice, but just wondering why pay the extra for nothing and perhaps endanger yourself?
We must have been extremely lucky in our camping and caravan years not to have suffered illness or worse from using site facilities, or even when I was working too. Post #4 made no mention of endagering yourself when using site facilities. But I suppose Covid is influencing people’s views and actions, despite not seeing any reference to anyone catching Covid in a site facility. So I don’t buy that one, especially with the actions that site owners have been taking. . It comes down to people making their choices on how they wish to pursue their hobby. I don’t think that is eccentric.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We must have been extremely lucky in our camping and caravan years not to have suffered illness or worse from using site facilities, or even when I was working too. Post #4 made no mention of endagering yourself when using site facilities. But I suppose Covid is influencing people’s views and actions, despite not seeing any reference to anyone catching Covid in a site facility. So I don’t buy that one, especially with the actions that site owners have been taking. . It comes down to people making their choices on how they wish to pursue their hobby. I don’t think that is eccentric.
I was referring to Covid specifically in this case. Where were you able to get the information regarding the locations where people have been infected as that would be interesting? I don't think anyone is exactly going to admit where or how they caught the virus.
Maybe I am being over cautious, but thanks for answering my original answer regarding why people use facilities when on a FSP pitch and paying the extra. :)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was referring to Covid specifically in this case. Where were you able to get the information regarding the locations where people have been infected as that would be interesting? I don't think anyone is exactly going to admit where or how they caught the virus.
Maybe I am being over cautious, but thanks for answering my original answer regarding why people use facilities when on a FSP pitch and paying the extra. :)
My initial response was to Roger L #4 who said “ never mind Covid” so he was looking at the bigger picture and that’s why I felt that just because people have facilities in their vans on a FSP and they use site facilities, that doesn’t define them as “ eccentric” or anything else. It’s their choice.

Re my post #10 I think you have misread my post. “…….despite not seeing any reference to anyone catching Covid in a site facility.“

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are risks and have always been these using public facilities although they are very low. Covid is an extra risk which you have to assess for yourself, but if you do get it, it is very doubtful if you can pinpoint when and where you got it unless you are able to find someone you had contact with who tested positive.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just re read the whole thread and sad to say it’s all lost on me!
We prefer a FSP but equally use the other end of the spectrum with nothing, St Agnes Head CAMC.
Being lazy Woosies we use all our own on board facilities no matter what type of pitch. Oh, and we do our washing up on board wherever we are.
what have I missed 😎😎

May 7, 2012
Visit site
People use the serviced pitches, more to save having to trek to the service point for water and waste disposal than anything else. Have to admit though if you are on one there is little point in using the dishwashing area.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
For the past week we were on a very nice site in Somerset where the fully serviced pitches with water and waste water hookup were separated by tall hedges, but south facing so plenty of sunshine across the day. During our stay most of them were full. There were normal pitches with EHU only and plenty of water taps near them.
Strangely despite the rise in Covid infections etc quite a few people on the fully serviced pitches chose to use the facilities on the site instead of the facilities in their caravan even taking dishes across for washing? You pay extra for the super pitch so why not use it properly. Appreciate that it is their choice and money, but wonder why if it is a lot safer to use your own facilities?
Nothing strange about it,

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We love a FSP in the winter.
If away for a long weekend and weather is decent, we take our Cadac, that’s the only time I use the washing up area.
Each to their own.

Kev

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I never wash our Cadac, I turn the heat to max and when really hot brush the grill down with a brass brush.
We wash the dishes in the van , all,the time, even on non FSP. Another two weeks before we can get away again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What stopped you taking it home to wash, or using the sinks that most sites have? Or doing as Hutch does?
I did say one of the reasons. We hardly ever used it as basically it was a giant frying pan and only really good for breakfasts.
We had one when living in SA and it was only used for our champagne breakfasts. Almost like having a party in the morning as several other people would come across for breakfast which was washed down with champagne sparkling wine mixed with fresh orange juice. Delicious.
When the orange juice was finished it was time for the beer and to start the BBQ for lunch. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I did say one of the reasons. We hardly ever used it as basically it was a giant frying pan and only really good for breakfasts.
We had one when living in SA and it was only used for our champagne breakfasts. Almost like having a party in the morning as several other people would come across for breakfast which was washed down with champagne sparkling wine mixed with fresh orange juice. Delicious.
When the orange juice was finished it was time for the beer and to start the BBQ for lunch. :ROFLMAO:
That’s my kind of breakfast, nice weather guaranteed too.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts