Stubborn Dealer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
We picked our new van up a few weeks ago and after the ususal checks took it back to storage. We went out in it for a couple of days shortly afterwards just to check everything was working properly before we went away for 2 weeks.
When we collected the van from storage for our main holiday I noticed a row of small dents high up on the offside panel towards the rear of the van. No one was parked next to us, there are no trees by us and it was a mystery as to how they had got there.
I contacted my dealer whilst we were away and they checked all their reports and no damage had been reported between the time they took delivery and when we collected the van. Needless to say we are disputing their claim (it is not the first time we have collected a new van from them with body damage) and waiting for them to make a decision (the van is with them as they have just had to replace the alarm system which was faulty!).
We have had a 4 new vans from them in 4 years and this will be the last time we do any business with them including servicing, they are very good at selling vans but when it comes to after care they adopt a very different attitude.
Apologies for the lengthy post.

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, the problem here is that you collected the caravan from the dealer, took it to your storage, then went away in it for two days and then returned it to your storage. It wasn't until you collected it again from your storage that you saw the dents, because of all this, your dealer can claim it never happened before collection. You should have thorougly examined the caravan before leaving the dealers when you collected it, because whilst I have no reason to disbelieve your version of events, you now cannot prove the dents were there when you collected it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Evo
You said
(it is not the first time we have collected a new van from them with body damage)
A man of your experience should know better .
smiley-cry.gif

I am afraid Hortimech's assessment is correct.

Hopefully you can get the dents fixed easily and cheaply.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I think you highlight a problem that unfortunately you needed to of noticed on collection as there is now no proof on either side. Having experienced poor service previously, I have to say I would not of used the dealer again after the first time!

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I realise that but we are all wise after the event aren't we?
The dents are very small and quite high up so aren't easily detectable, I looked for obvious dents at my height level. Perhaps I am being naive but it would be nice to think the Dealer would show some goodwill, aren't they stuggling to sell new vans these days?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Evo,

I'm sorry but I cant agree with you! And I think you are being very cheeky to expect your dealer to by more than just sympathetic towards your dents.

Unless you can show a VERY high probability the dents were present when you purchased the caravan, then I don't think the dealer has any reason to offer you good will on the matter.

The caravan is exposed to all sorts of cosmetic external damage as soon as pull off the dealers forecourt, for which the dealer cannot in any way be held responsible.

You need to bite the bullet and accept its your responsibility.

The lesson is to make sure you thoroughly check your purchases before you leave the retailers premises unless they undertake to cover such matters by way of a guarantee.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry but given the circumstances there is absolutely no evidence that the dents were there when you picked up the van and I cannot see that you have any legal basis for a claim. I doubt you will find any dealer willing to repair for free.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts