Sub £3k Tow vehicle that can tow 2000kg

Sep 17, 2024
Visit site
Yet another "What Vehicle" thread.

I have a Lunar Delta twin axle that is listed as 1600kg, so as we were towing with a 2015 Peugeot 3008 (silly I know as I now realise it's towing capacity is no where near enough) I need to get something more suitable.

I think the sweet spot should be a vehicle with the towing capacity of around 2000kg.

The main issue I am coming up against is the tight budget of £2500 or at max £3000.

Vehicles I have looked at include Peugeot 4007, Vauxhall Antara, and Ford S-max. Finding one in good condition, for my budget, is proving rather difficult.

I would love something bigger like a Touareg but the near £800 road tax is putting my off plus many vehicles in my price range tend to have over 200k miles which could lead to expensive repairs if anything was to go wrong.

Is there any other vehicles I should be considering?

Oh and one final caveat is that I live in Northern Ireland where vehicles tend to be more expensive than on the mainland. So if I was to purchase a vehicle in England for example, I would be looking at an additional £400 or so to bring it over.

Thanks for any advice given.

Rich

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I have a Lunar Delta twin axle that is listed as 1600kg, so as we were towing with a 2015 Peugeot 3008 (silly I know as I now realise it's towing capacity is no where near enough) I need to get something more suitable.

I think the sweet spot should be a vehicle with the towing capacity of around 2000kg.

The main issue I am coming up against is the tight budget of £2500 or at max £3000.

Vehicles I have looked at include Peugeot 4007, Vauxhall Antara, and Ford S-max. Finding one in good condition, for my budget, is proving rather difficult.

I would love something bigger like a Touareg but the near £800 road tax is putting my off plus many vehicles in my price range tend to have over 200k miles which could lead to expensive repairs if anything was to go wrong.

Oh and one final caveat is that I live in Northern Ireland where vehicles tend to be more expensive than on the mainland. So if I was to purchase a vehicle in England for example, I would be looking at an additional £400 or so to bring it over.

Rich
Hi Richie.

I towed with a large SA with a Peugeot 4007 and it was fine. They also come as a Citroen C-Crosser and Mitsubishi Outlander. They can be a good second hand purchase.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your £3000 is a tight budget, so I suspect you will be looking a older and probably higher mileage vehicles. I suggest you should also include

KIA Sorento's and Hyundai Santa Fey's both of which in earlier models had great reputations as tow vehicles, with a good capacity, and economy.

Ssansyong Rextons - the earliest ones used Mercedes engine and gearbox.

But at 1600kg MTPLM the caravan is not massive, You don't need to have 4 wheel drive, so you should also consider some of the VAG group vehicles which may have MIS weight in the order of 1800kg. and 140BHP or more diesel

Skoda Superb,
VW Passat
Seat Exeo
Audi A4 Avants

There are several Mercedes E class estates that could mange comfortably

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
What about some sort of pick-up (Mitsubishi, Nissan etc)? Admittedly some of the cheaper ones have had a hard life (and are a bit agricultural) but there might be something that's been well maintained.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I'd go Santa Fe or Sorrento, but check the AWD is working and that the self levelling shocks are OK if a 7 seater
We towed our Bailey T/A 1606kg MPTLM with a Tiguan manual but decided that it was not man enough despite being within legal limits so moved to the Santa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Autotrader showing 24 Sorrentos of various ages and mileage within your budget, all in England though, but show sthey are avaialble some under 100k miles som ewith towbars alreday

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Rich
We had a 2012 Delta and towed it behind our 2010 Mondeo Estate. A very uncomfortable tow as I think the MTPLM of our Delta TA was 1800kg and not 1600kg? The Mondeo could tow 2000kg and no issue with it pulling the caravan. We did look at the S-Max, the Antara, but decided that they would be unsuitable due to their low kerbweight.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a 2008 Santa Fe, auto that had 2000kg tow limit, prices for a low mileage one might be around what your after, maybe an early Insignia, is another consideration.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts