Suggestions for touring in Ireland?

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Happy new year everyone ...

Which means it's time for some new travel plans. We have a 25% discount code for ferry travel to Southern Ireland, which can be used any time during 2017 but the crossings need to be booked by 13th January.

So we intend to take our caravan from Holyhead-Dublin and then have a tour of about 10 days, during which we want to make our way to Oranmore, Galway (where we have friends) before heading south and returning from Rosslare to Fishguard (where we have family).

All suggestions of campsites, places to visit and any other tips gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
A quick google will give more detail, but Kerry, Clare and Galway have wonderful sights well worth seeing.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sam and Rose, ten days will only leave you begging for more!
What ever you decide to do, allow twice the time you expected, because you just cannot hurry Ireland.
When we were there, we had intended a two week trip, and took six!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
Sam and Rose, ten days will only leave you begging for more!
What ever you decide to do, allow twice the time you expected, because you just cannot hurry Ireland.
When we were there, we had intended a two week trip, and took six!

Agree totally we spent two weeks in Ireland last Summer and you cannot believe how much there is to see. We didn't take the caravan but rented cottages in Galway and Kerry. Galway and Connemara are large enough for two weeks on their own. So I will just give a favour of places to think about. The Wild Atlantic Way goes along the whole west coast and is well signed throughout but some roads will definitely not be caravan frinedly. Good free guides to the WAW can be picked up in Tourist Offices and many shops. Galway city is well worth visit but traffic was heavy. So we parked in nearby Salthill (free on sea front) and walked into the old harbour/town area of Galway city (20minutes). The Aran Islands are worth visit and there are ferries, but don't take car. From Galway its a nice day out to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. Do the Cliffs early before coaches arrive. Nice drive around Lough Corrib and the James Joyce Trail going via Lough Mask then to Leenane and Killary Harbour. Kylemore Abbey and Connemara National Park is a nice day out too. O'Gradys on the Pier at Barna ( just west of Galway city) does top sea food dishes but do book even for lunch.

In Kerry we stopped at Glenbeigh which is a nice little village on the Ring of Kerry, with a coastal caravan and camping site. It has a petrol station and store and several pubs and hotels. Rumours Bistro was very good but need to book as Glenbeigh is on the Ring of Kerry and the Kerry Way trail. The Ring is too big to do comfortably on one day, has lots of coaches so we concentrated on specific areas. Killarney is worth visit, with Lough Leane having good walking paths and boat trips too. Then via Ladies View to Molls Gap, take the R568 and just after Molls Gap take the right turn down into the valley towards the Black Valley Hostel. Just follow this mountain road right through the Gap of Dunloe and down the other side. A magnificent drive, the road is narrow, good surface and oncoming vehicles (very few) spotted well ahead. Other places worth viewing are Valentia Island with the Knights Town Cafe (if he decides to open that is) , sub tropical gardens at Glanleam, walk trough to the lighthouse and headland, and leave the island at `Portmagee where the boats to the Skelligs leave from. When we were there the sea was rough so there's nice pub in Portmagee that serves good food. The drive from from the north side of the Ring from the Bog Museum, to Lough Caragh to Blackstone Bridge to the Gap of Dunloe or Ballaghbeama Gap is a good one. A good day out is also the Dingle Peninsular with good sea views and two nice mountain roads that traverse the peninsular.

The roads to Rosslare are good and check in was very relaxed, they didn't even want to check the dogs. Saying that if the "other side" wanted to check then they would do so.

I used the Back Roads of Ireland guide, and the Eyewitness 2016 Ireland Guide, although some of the roads I took were not in the Back Roads of Ireland guide!! Hence the reason that we caravan not motorhome! Buy some good Ireland OS maps too.
My avatar is the dogs enjoying the sunrise on the beach in Spiddal. Full days for all when we are on holiday.

Have a fantastic holiday.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Wow, thanks otherclive for some amazing suggestions!

I know that 10 days or so is nothing like long enough, but we're a long way off retirement age yet and for now can only get 2 weeks off work at any one time :( . We've been to Dingle and Donegal before though so will probably concentrate on looking at the Galway and Kerry areas.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SamandRose said:
Wow, thanks otherclive for some amazing suggestions!

I know that 10 days or so is nothing like long enough, but we're a long way off retirement age yet and for now can only get 2 weeks off work at any one time :( . We've been to Dingle and Donegal before though so will probably concentrate on looking at the Galway and Kerry areas.

Don't bank on retirement age giving you much more than 2weeks! It was easier when I was at work than organising holidays with and without the grandchildren. Although I think the light is now entering the tunnel so after a gap of over 2 years we bought another caravan, but the last Tweenie is still very keen to accompany us, and is now proposing we take her friend too.
Enjoy Ireland it is wonderful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts