suitable 5 berth caravans for atsra club estate 1.8 16v auto

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
hi all

we are thinking of upgrading from our trailer tent to a caravan....... for a little more comfort ect

we have a Vauxhall Astra Club Estate 1.8 16v petrol Automatic apprx 140bhp

we need a 5 berth van and i'm guessing it needs to be fairly light for our car, or perhaps someone could advise the maximum loaded van we could tow without tooo much trouble

many thanks

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dave, according to what towcar, your Astra has a kerbweight of 1350kg, this would give you an MTPLM weight for the caravan of 1147kg (85%) you may struggle, but not impossible to find a 5 birth van with a fully laden weight of 1147kg.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
thanks all............ most helpfull

i'm not sure what i am looking at on the vin plate on the car

could someone please explain

permissible gross vehicle weight = 1895 kg

and permissible gross train weight 3175 kg

how do these relate to towing, whats the difference between them

sorry i'm probably being a bit of a dim wit here

thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave , to give you some idea of weights, I have a series 5 Pageant 5 berth with a unladen weight (MIRO)of 1206 kg which makes it 6 kg heavier than your cars towing legality.
Royston

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave,
I am no car expert, but we have a vauxhall astra 1.4 litre petrol and tow our 5 birth Abi Monza comfortably with it. When fully laden the caravan weighs no more than 875kg making it a 85% match. We do get some funny looks from fellow caravanners especially the ones with big hefty towcars towing big twin axles and the such like.
I am sure you will find a van that matches your car, there are some lightweight ones out there.
Andrea

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts