Sunncamp or Starcamp

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am looking to buy a lightweight air awning, the type that has a single arch at the front, by lightweight I am thinking about 7kg, the above brands offer 220 in Sunncamp and 225 in Starcamp which are the widths suitable for our needs. If anybody has experience of either brand I would welcome comments and observations.
Thank you

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks guys, I did see the other thread but as I have narrowed my choice down to the 2 brands, I was looking for specific advice on those 2, hence the new thread.Seems that both keep the weight down by offering roof bars as extras.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Timely post as I'm just about to order the Sunncamp Swift Air 220 and hadn't come across the Starcamp. Just on the paper specs I'm still inclined to go with the Sunncamp as I want the Inner Tent option and can't see that for Starcamp.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sam
I think Starcamp is a budget brand of Dorema awning, my main concern is weight,and the lack of roof bars, can lead to some roof pooling in the rain according to some reviews, pricewise £200 seems to be the going rate on line, then optional extras like the inner tent ,groundsheet etc,be interested to hear how you get on.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It might be a few weeks before I get it as I'm trying to time it for my first trip of the year, which is dependent on restrictions being lifted. As soon as I can I'll let you know.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It might be a few weeks before I get it as I'm trying to time it for my first trip of the year, which is dependent on restrictions being lifted. As soon as I can I'll let you know.
Hi Sam if anything like the 2021 Vango Capella 220 air porch awning (we pre ordered this in January and so far it been delayed due to the ( Pandemic global shipping crisis) so must keep our fingers crossed when it due to arrive between 24th April - 10th May 2021

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Woodsieboy, I have had the Sunncamp air awning 220 for about 4 to 5 years now, a fantastic lightweight awning, big enough to sit inside if there is a light drizzle, very easy to put up. Even inside out, as I found out. I could fit a roof bar, but haven't bothered, it has withstood really heavy rain and winds, NOT gale force but strong. I put extra peg down holes in the skirting to help. When this one expires I might go for the 260, just that bit wider.Studio_20210303_171245.jpg

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Woodsieboy, I have had the Sunncamp air awning 220 for about 4 to 5 years now, a fantastic lightweight awning, big enough to sit inside if there is a light drizzle, very easy to put up. Even inside out, as I found out. I could fit a roof bar, but haven't bothered, it has withstood really heavy rain and winds, NOT gale force but strong. I put extra peg down holes in the skirting to help. When this one expires I might go for the 260, just that bit wider.View attachment 1245
Hi Hutch it looks stunning and it been a brilliant buy for you

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woodsieboy, I have had the Sunncamp air awning 220 for about 4 to 5 years now, a fantastic lightweight awning, big enough to sit inside if there is a light drizzle, very easy to put up. Even inside out, as I found out. I could fit a roof bar, but haven't bothered, it has withstood really heavy rain and winds, NOT gale force but strong. I put extra peg down holes in the skirting to help. When this one expires I might go for the 260, just that bit wider.View attachment 1245
That's great news Hutch, that's the one I will go for thank you

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sam
I have decided to order one based on Hutch's reply, just a note of caution for you with the inner tent, you may find 220 size could be a bit tight once the inner tent is deployed

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Timely post as I'm just about to order the Sunncamp Swift Air 220 and hadn't come across the Starcamp. Just on the paper specs I'm still inclined to go with the Sunncamp as I want the Inner Tent option and can't see that for Starcamp.
if you want the inner tent i would go for the next size up in the Sunncamp awning to each is own .

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks guys..... I just ordered the slightly larger one plus the inner tent. Leisure Outlet were also throwing in a free ground sheet plus the delivery surcharge to the Highlands was only £9.95 - although at check out it came up as zero.

Juggled around a couple of bookings to get past the predicted end of movement restrictions in Scotland, so hopefully will get to try this out end of April, beginning of May.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys..... I just ordered the slightly larger one plus the inner tent. Leisure Outlet were also throwing in a free ground sheet plus the delivery surcharge to the Highlands was only £9.95 - although at check out it came up as zero.

Juggled around a couple of bookings to get past the predicted end of movement in Scotland, so hopefully will get to try this out end of April, beginning of May.
I cannot wait for it to come l have some free Canopy poles thrown in my order

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As an add on to my posting, I think I will add a couple of "Clamp it" suckers to the side buffers. They are a good fit to the caravan sides anyway but would just stop them from rubbing. And give that bit better a seal.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My new Vango porch awning got the latest draught seal system looking forward to trying that out l always use rear upright poles to each is own

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although these are lightweight, many of them suffer from condensation on the inside. We do not have this issue with our normal porch awning so why doe sit only seem to happen with the lightweight awnings like Kampa, Sunncamp etc? This is the main thing that puts us off buying one of these light weight awnings.

The other issue is that not many of them create a tight seal against the caravan wall preventing draughts like a normal porch awning.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
This looks an interesting topic! I've got a Kampa 390 awning with poles - yes it's old, bought in 2011 but still in good nick. Been looking at air awnings last year, but worried about the weight when fitting and packing up. I'm 81 and still enjoying our van. We've booked 2 trips June onwards in UK. Would I be OK with an air awning, same size as the Kampa? Alan

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Although these are lightweight, many of them suffer from condensation on the inside. We do not have this issue with our normal porch awning so why doe sit only seem to happen with the lightweight awnings like Kampa, Sunncamp etc? This is the main thing that puts us off buying one of these light weight awnings.

The other issue is that not many of them create a tight seal against the caravan wall preventing draughts like a normal porch awning.
I think the light weight awnings seal against the caravan walls reasonably well if you use the poles. I don't tend to use the poles anymore as ours seals reasonable well . I will be buying some of these to hold the awning seals to the caravan. We don't sit in the awning in the evenings, we use it to store the table and chairs in.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the light weight awnings seal against the caravan walls reasonably well if you use the poles. I don't tend to use the poles anymore as ours seals reasonable well . I will be buying some of these to hold the awning seals to the caravan. We don't sit in the awning in the evenings, we use it to store the table and chairs in.
Hi Hutch i might buy some of these for my Outdoor revolution compactalite pro classic 250 porch awning i use rear upright poles but this could help it seal better .

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought some of these over a year ago when someone put a link on here and I can honestly say they are excellent, I’d bought the Kampa suckers and they were hard to get them to stick, they were expensive and broke easily, these that hutch has put the link to work so well I use them at home as well, we use them to hold various Christmas baubles up around the house and not a single one has fallen, I bought 20 of these originally thinking I’d need replacements as they broke but I’ve still got 20 as good as they were over a year ago.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This looks an interesting topic! I've got a Kampa 390 awning with poles - yes it's old, bought in 2011 but still in good nick. Been looking at air awnings last year, but worried about the weight when fitting and packing up. I'm 81 and still enjoying our van. We've booked 2 trips June onwards in UK. Would I be OK with an air awning, same size as the Kampa? Alan
In 2015 and in my late sixties we purchased the Kampa Air Ace 400 awning. We found it very hard to thread through the awning rail due to the weight of the tubes even with the panels removed.
After only a few nights we sold it at a small loss and bought the Isabella Magnum poled version as easier and quicker to erect than an air awning. The other reasons were water pooling on the roof and condensation inside.

For air vs pole awning erection see
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGibcUJBWew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts