Sunroof - How do you protect from the sun when in storage?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have used the blind but this has ended up being a mistake. How do you protect your van from the sunlight (fading) when in storage through the sunroof?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Piece of cardboard cut to size, at least on my Provence with a Remi (blue coloured) sunroof. Not sure if it works on Heki (clear) but might be worth a try.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On a previous (Heki) model, where the fitted blind did not enjoy being left extended for long periods, I cut a piece of lightproof fabric to the size of the frame, then applied pieces of self-adhesive velcro to the frame on the four sides, with the corresponding velcro attached to the fabric, and used this as a sunblind during storage. Advantage is when you take the fabric down you just fold it up and tuck it away easily for next time.

Current van has (two) Remi sunroofs - clear - with pleated blinds. These I find are OK left across in storage, and I have not suffered any problems to date. Hope this helps. Richard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd say just be careful that you don't fully seal the frame around the sunroof.

I fitted 2 mini Heki skylights to our 'van, and the instructions say not to leave the blinds fully across on a hot day with the skylight closed. The heat can build up between the window and the blind causing serious damage to either or both components. Always leave air ventilation on the inside of the 'van to prevent this from happening.

If you have a fly screen, then I'd suggest maybe pulling that part way across.

But to he honest, we have a full size sunroof and never use the blind on it when we're not in it. The 'vans now over 4 years old and we've never had a problem with fading.

I would recommend that you don't use the blinds and curtains over winter either on any window. Just use the fly screens. Damp and mildew love dark and cold conditions. Let the light and heat in over winter, and leave the locker doors open as well to prevent damp and condensation in the cupboards.

We were advised to do this when we started caravanning many moons ago and have not had any fading or damp problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the opposite experience to Mick

Our upholstery on a 3 year old Ace has faded very noticeably

We were told not to leave window blinds down in storage as it would weaken the return spring.

We are about to change (Nov) for a Bailey Senator Oklahoma and the only disappointment with the new van is that we will no longer have a Heki roof light over the fixed bed (it's a mini).Bailey say that they can not fit one and despite vaunting the strength of the laminated roof they say (this morning) that the roof is not strong enough to support a retro fit one.

Has anyone fitted a full size Heki/Remis ??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
See the current thread on caravan covers. A good cover will solve all these problems as well as protecting the rest of the van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts