Surviving without EHU

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi All
A bit of advice please. I am venturing to the Reading Festival this summer with my teenage daughter (with the van obviously, I don't do tents!) and will be, in effect, rallying for 5 nights. Having only ever used EHU sites before, I am concerned about running out of gas as the festival campsite rules restricts caravans/motorhomes to 1x6kg gas bottle per unit and I will be running everything, bar the lights, on gas.
With regards to hot water, is it more efficient to leave the gas on all the time, or just to heat it when needed?
We will only really be in the van first thing in the morning before heading down to the 'mosh pits' so will only be doing minimal cooking etc and I do have a solar panel already as will need to keep the battery topped up for the motor mover.
All comments/advice gratefully received - I'm off to raid my daughther's CD collection now to gen up on current music so I don't look a real numpty by not knowing any bands at all!
Thanks in advance
Karina

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Karina
A full 6Kg lpg bottle should easily last for 5 nights, don't forget that you won't be in the caravan for much of the time so the lpg will only be powering your fridge for lengthy periods.
We use our caravan off ehu regularly on rallies, weekend events and festivals and we only turn on the water heater as and when it is needed for showering. Washing up water is as often as not boiled in the kettle (in addition to our electric kettle we have a cheap whistling kettle from a market stall) so that we only heat as much as we need to use.
Our caravan was fitted with normal radiant 12v lighting but we have now replaced most of the bulbs that we most often use with led's which save battery power. I permanently mounted our solar panel on the caravan roof where it re-charges the leisure battery away from passers by who might have tripped over it or stolen it f we'd left it on a ground stand.
Have a great time at the festival
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Parksy

That was just the advice I was hoping for. We won't be in the van much but the shower will be used as opposed to braving the communal site showers - uuurrghhh!

Best wishes

Karinna

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts