Swift ec800 control panel

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi We have a 2019 Swift Basecamp2 which has Sargent ec800 control panel. This panel has failed twice and when it does I cannot control anything electrical in the caravan. Does anyone know of a work round solution that would enable me to operate the electrical items.
We plan to tour in Europe for 2 months and am concerned about this panel failing yet again when we are abroad and then being unable to operate anything.
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a 2019 control panel and have had similar problems,if you hold the on off button and keep holding it the screen will turn blue, and dots will appear, you touch the dots and the screen should come back into use, it is called 'formatting' if that doesn't wrok another member unplugged all 12v and 240 volt, then disconnected the back of the panel overnight,when it was reconnected in the morning it was working, seems it can be prone to moisture and needs to be dried out

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi thanks do you mean failed? If so screen completely blank so can't operate anything. After two years unit replaced under warranty by previous owner in march 2022.We have owned the caravan for just on a year and unit has failed again . No data showing on screen. After conversation with Sargent unit sent back to them for repair. This effectively puts caravan out of action

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
We have a 2019 control panel and have had similar problems,if you hold the on off button and keep holding it the screen will turn blue, and dots will appear, you touch the dots and the screen should come back into use, it is called 'formatting' if that doesn't wrok another member unplugged all 12v and 240 volt, then disconnected the back of the panel overnight,when it was reconnected in the morning it was working, seems it can be prone to moisture and needs to be dried out
Hi thanks, unit screen blank so can't reset and recalibrate. Tried removing unit and taking it home to dry out incase it was damp. Unit being repaired by Sargent's. But my concern is what if it fails while we are abroad. Hence my question of a work round solution in event of control panel failure

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi thanks, unit screen blank so can't reset and recalibrate. Tried removing unit and taking it home to dry out incase it was damp. Unit being repaired by Sargent's. But my concern is what if it fails while we are abroad. Hence my question of a work round solution in event of control panel failure
This is one of the problems with going "Digital" the majority of people do not have the knowledge or skills to disassemble ro attempt repairs on items like this. It also tends to tie you to just one provider.

I think you would be best discussing it with the manufacturer to see what if anything they might be able to provide.

If it were mine, I would consider replacing some of its functionality with physical switches, but that wouldn't work for everything, and of course it would breach any manufacturer's warranty.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think I would be looking to buy a spare panel to take with me. It’s not ideal, but even before digital panels came along, some would take spare pumps, power supply units, flush pumps, regulators etc. It does at least offer a fallback.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I think I would be looking to buy a spare panel to take with me. It’s not ideal, but even before digital panels came along, some would take spare pumps, power supply units, flush pumps, regulators etc. It does at least offer a fallback.
If it's anything like the Whale iVan panel then its £400+ if you can even find one. That's a big investment for a fallback.
Everything on the Whale is a bluetooth connection which is a major pain, I don't see any way of bypassing the panel to install manual trouble (almost) free controls
But I've said it before, these panels are the weak link and will cause 1000s of otherwise great caravans to become unusable in years to come

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If it's anything like the Whale iVan panel then its £400+ if you can even find one. That's a big investment for a fallback.
Everything on the Whale is a bluetooth connection which is a major pain, I don't see any way of bypassing the panel to install manual trouble (almost) free controls
But I've said it before, these panels are the weak link and will cause 1000s of otherwise great caravans to become unusable in years to come
That’s a big “ ouch” glad my vans had mainly switches plus separated functions such as gas/ electric water heater, gas/ electric blown air. As you say an expensive weak point.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi thanks everyone. You've all seemed to arrive at my conclusion. Poorly thought out design of a crucial system. Thought of carrying a spare but at £450 is practically unrealistic. It's interesting that no professional from either electronic panel or caravan production comment or suggest a solution. Just been at Newbury show and various motorhome dealers raised the same concerns not just with swift models. . Thanks again

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Nowadays one does not have any need to carry spares. If a fault occurs you simply Google the part and have it delivered the next day. (y):D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Nowadays one does not have any need to carry spares. If a fault occurs you simply Google the part and have it delivered the next day. (y):D
That really does depend how far, or not, you caravan away from "civilisation" - there are many, very pleasant, parts of the country with little or no internet signal and in parts of Scotland surcharges on deliveries as well as no next day service.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That really does depend how far, or not, you caravan away from "civilisation" - there are many, very pleasant, parts of the country with little or no internet signal and in parts of Scotland surcharges on deliveries as well as no next day service.
If buying from Amazon, you can select a drop off point. Even with a surcharge it probably would be cheaper than driving to a dealership from a remote area or carrying around a spare that you may never use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts