switzerland

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
after asking a question about carrying a scooter on rear of vw clubman, and traveling over mountian passes,my mind was put at rest,and i felt quite confident.now ive read an artical in mmm about border guards and weights.i know nothing about payloads.are the guards really that strict on the borders. regards pat

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Last time we were going to/through Switzerland the border guards were more interested in the Vignettes (road fund licences for driving on Swiss motorways) than anything else. The queues were over a mile on the motorway approaching, but as we had bought ours before leaving England we were waved around the queues and straight through the border. If you have to queue to buy your vignette they may take more interest in your outfit.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
This comment is not meant to put you off .We had a Bessacacar645 and when we got to the border crossing we just slowed right down like you do at all crossings just in case they want to see something,when this little Hitler who was passing all others through shouted at us to pull over to let others through.I said Hitler because he was ranting on about God knows what, i got out our passports thought he was going to throw them ,then still shouting i gathered he was asking for vehicle documents , so gave them and i bet he had'nt a clue what he was looking at, by now my placid Wife has now become a little angry and you do not want to get on the wrong side of her (she chased a motorist once who cut her up in the car) so i had two of them now . Anyway he seem to have enough fun with these English and passed us through but for some time afterwards we said they can stuff Switzerland if thats there attitude.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pat.

Unlike Robert and Alan we never spotted any border guards when holidaying in Switzerland. We stayed on a site in Lausanne on the shore of Lake Geneva. Super site although the pitches were small compared to ours in the UK. Very friendly site staff nothing was to much trouble for them.

We used to stroll every night in the adjacent park which went for miles.Lots of family groups roller blading, cycling, skateboarding and quite large groups of teenagers enjoying themselves, however they always moved out of your path if cycling or otherwise and you did not feel intimated in any way unlike here.People were allowed to barbecue on the lawns with open log fires, when finished they just nipped to the lake for water to put out the fire and then cleared it all away in to council provided skips, no litter of any kind to be seen on the park or streets.

You could walk right up to the Olympic headquarters with no fences or walls around it and look inside. Could you do that in the UK? to a public building.

The only downside was that the eating out was expensive (especially meat)however do not be put off by your concerns about border guards even the police were thin on the ground and not a hint of any speed cameras.

Hope this helps

Regards

Nidge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts