Table Lamp

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
We have been thinking of having a small table lamp on our front table, as it was lacking light in the central area. We wanted one that was very stable, lightweight and that gave a warm even light. We where in IKEA in Milton Keynes, looking for bedroom furniture for our granddaughter, when we came to the lighting section. In it we found the ideal lamp at a cost of £2-75 + Bulb @ £4-00 that met all our requirements and more, called the Lampan. Check it out if you are in an IKEA Store, if you are in the market for one. Hopefully below is a link to their site and page for the Lampan.

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/15817_PE100061_S3.JPG

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
We have one of these bought it when we used to go camping.
and as it packs into itself it save a lot of space, we used a small round energy saving bulb which we wrapped on kitchen towel and put it in the lamp when it is folded up.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I hate table lamps! They always seem to be at a height for the unshaded bit of the bulb to catch my eye.
Unfortunately, herself likes them, so I have to put up with them for the sake of marital harmony.
And yes, she has one in the front window!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Emmerson,

The light in the Lanpan is totally enclosed, so the problem you have had, will not be one with this light. This is why it does not give any shadows. I should have mentioned that the bulb is an LCD type, so low electric useage.

To Crazy Glider all I can say is everyone to their own, I was a little reticent, but have to say in our case it has worked.

Regards,
George

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Each to their own:
We have never understood the rationale of having windows, then obscuring them, be that with drapes, flowers, splitting it up to form three windows or standing table lamps and TVs in the way.
Very fortunately “we” are at one on this, liking single large panoramic front windows and avoiding cluttering it up. Maybe it is we like too much taking in the view and watching the wild life, when out on some lovely 5 van site?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have a round LED lamp stuck above our chest fo drawers. You get 3 in a pack for about a fiver. We also have one mounted in the front locker as sods's law dictates you will run out of gas at the most inappropriate time which is normally at night.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Please read this thread
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/50772-front-locker-light

And your point is what? The LED light has its own switch with no wiring and if you are going in there during the night it is probably because the bottle is empty and anyway the front locker has drop holes.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
ProfJohnL said:
Please read this thread

And your point is what? The LED light has its own switch with no wiring and if you are going in there during the night it is probably because the bottle is empty and anyway the front locker has drop holes.

I think the point being made is that it is now not regarded as safe to have any conventionally switched electrical systems in gas lockers. It matters not to the gas whether it is powered by the van's battery or a small integral battery, the bang will be the same.
The empty bottle might just be because the gas has leaked away, and a likely place is at the couplings in the gas locker.
Any astute NCC service engineer will not service your van, and will issue a stop note, once they find what you have done.
I agree the chances are small and it was once common practice, but we live now in a more enlightened age in respect to safety.

I use a head set light when changing bottles in the dark, this has many other uses in our caravanning scene.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
JTQ said:
Surfer said:
ProfJohnL said:
Please read this thread

I think the point being made is that it is now not regarded as safe to have any conventionally switched electrical systems in gas lockers. It matters not to the gas whether it is powered by the van's battery or a small integral battery, the bang will be the same.
The empty bottle might just be because the gas has leaked away, and a likely place is at the couplings in the gas locker.
Any astute NCC service engineer will not service your van, and will issue a stop note, once they find what you have done.
I agree the chances are small and it was once common practice, but we live now in a more enlightened age in respect to safety.

I use a head set light when changing bottles in the dark, this has many other uses in our caravanning scene.

Our caravan has been serviced by a NCC workshop and also a AWS technician and neither commented on the 3v battery operated LED light. You would need a high concentration of gas to make the bang and I would think any astute person would realise switching on anything may casue an explosion. Also as the gas is heavier surely it will sink down through the drop holesand dissipate anyway?
However I do appreciate your comments and now understand why some people may have concerns.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Speaks volumes about the ability and knowledge, but hopefully not the integrity of those in the caravanning after care industry, despite having a bit of paper!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
..............You would need a high concentration of gas to make the bang and I would think any astute person would realise switching on anything may casue an explosion. Also as the gas is heavier surely it will sink down through the drop holesand dissipate anyway? .............................

Hello surfer,
I'm not sure what you mean by a "higher concentration of gas" higher than what? The fact is if you have the correct mixture of gas and air in the presence of a source of ignition it will ignite and burn. LPG's are heavier than air, but even so they take time to fall to the lowest point, and especially if there is a leak from around the valve or regulator area of a system near the top of the locker in the relatively contained area screened from winds such as a gas bottle locker, the concentration of gas may still be strong enough to ignite.

Electrical switches of virtually any voltage have a the capacity to produce a spark, more often when the switch is opened, but it can also happen when being closed often due to contact bounce. Granted low voltage devices (3V) are less likely to produce a spark with a high enough energy density to ignite a combustible mixture, but it is possible.

The flammability range of LPG's ratio in air is considerably wider than than the normal range used for clean burning in appliances. Studies in the mining industry have shown that a ratio as low as 1.87% can be ignited.

Electrical switches or contacts in the gas bottle locker are simply not a good idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts