Tad Breezy

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
MORNING FROM CORNWALL, GALES ARE HERE.

Well we are right in the peak of the storm and to my utter surprise, we still have an awning!

Bradcot Residencia steel poled.

Of course last night precautions were taken, all the steel poles at the extension union had "Jubilee Clips" fastened to prevent the poles retracting, which is exactly what happened to 2 roof poles in the previous barmy weather, they then fell out of the caravan side plastic feet things, luckily no damage to the caravan sides, but a lesson we are benefitting from today.
The leg poles, all five and the front two roof internal extension poles all clipped.
The middle and two corner leg poles I fitted the internal storm straps which came with the awning and very meaty long pegs designed for the job, gravel pulled back, about a good inch to get to the soil beneath allowing the pegs to be driven deep within the ground with my trusty lump hammer, no idea how I'm going to remove them but worry about that later.
All the lighter items were put in the cars just in case the awning did go, we didn't want say a canvas chair flying around the site causing damage to other units.

Next outside we double up on the ladders on the sides of the awning the upto 80mph gusts were predicted to come from, forming an inverted V at each attachment point, again moving away the gravel and battering the rock pegs in as far as I could, the rest of the pegs around the perimeter were checked and driven further in or removed and redone.

The over awning storm strap has the re-bar type pegs which seemed unmovable. I wasn't and havnt relied on the buckle but knotted the strap, not in any boy cub fashion, but belt and braces.

The caravan is on what was a static pitch so has anchor points in the concrete, I borrowed some heavy duty ratchet straps from work and very firmly at the chassis attached us to Tera Firma, this has removed lots of body movement as I can testify right now as the wind is absolutely howling outside, little bit scary to be honest, how we have survived so far without damage is beyond me!
Four hours to go before the peak is behind us, its not pleasant as its quite bad now.
Cold air being forced up the sink hole vents, through the roof lights rattling the concertina blinds, alsorts of noises from the awning as it takes the punishment, clinking metal loud slaps of canvas as its forced in against the poles, constant noise all around with the caravan having slight movement causing rattles you dont usually hear There is the odd lull in the weather but then BOOM the gusts are back, pre-warned by the whooshing noise from the trees akin to railway lines humming before you see the train, then away we go again.

I'm wide awake, anxious, preparing for the worst, ready to dash out and rescue what I can if needs be, the wife? well she's sound asleep in bed!

One thing to add, last night as I was out pegging a neighbour from a static who lives there full time, as quite a few do, came over and said no matter what time of night any problems you can stay with is, door is open.
How nice are some people.

Darren.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Not ours pitch next door
The pegs had come loose on that one, looks like the wind got inside the awning and popped it like a balloon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220218-085430_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220218-085430_WhatsApp.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Bluetonic and Tobes
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Given the Red Warning for Storm Eunice I'd have thought that taking awnings down would have been a prudent precaution.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At the moment the wind here in Worcester is mild in comparison to other areas and i have towed in worse, but still woudl not wander out today.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Anything over 30mph forecast winds, our awning doesn't go up and or comes down-we've seen far too many shred and some close shaves with caravan damage in the process!

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
unfortunately we don't have that option, too much stuff in the awning with nowhere to put it
For those that don't know we are living in it full time whilst waiting for the house to be built.
I took a gamble, we've been in high wind situations before but with a single pole porch awning which simple bent with the gusts

Cornish news feeds reporting several trees down closing roads, 9500 homes without power, waves going up cliffs and yet folk still going to the area to take pictures!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have done the best you can, but if possible I would put the car in front of the awning to break the wind hitting it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Good luck Darren, I've been in the caravan on the coast in Cornwall during an Atlantic gale, so I sympathise with you about the worrying noises.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Out in high winds lashing my sons balcony back. It was flapping out over the first storey. Luckily I just had a ratchet strap. That will cost him down the pub tonight.
882713CA-A88A-4D3A-B02C-FD6324F3DBE0.jpeg

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Kids trampoline has blown over and taken 4 fence panels with it. Spent my lunch hour making everything safe.
Then lost another two panels as they were no longer supported enough.

:sob:

millenium dome not looking good though is it ?!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Kids trampoline has blown over and taken 4 fence panels with it. Spent my lunch hour making everything safe.
Then lost another two panels as they were no longer supported enough.

:sob:

millenium dome not looking good though is it ?!
On the basis of the Millenium Dome Darren H has done a remarkably good job. Wonder if The Dome have spare panels.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Otherclive - I think we can envy the view from your son's place - although the view might also mean it's vulnerable if the wind is coming that way! South Leicestershire the wind is howling in the double glazing making ghostly whistles and worse here this afternoon than during the night or this morning! Contrarily the sun is shining brightly too - but definitely not putting the washing out to dry in 'the breeze'!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Otherclive - I think we can envy the view from your son's place - although the view might also mean it's vulnerable if the wind is coming that way! South Leicestershire the wind is howling in the double glazing making ghostly whistles and worse here this afternoon than during the night or this morning! Contrarily the sun is shining brightly too - but definitely not putting the washing out to dry in 'the breeze'!
Cheers. He’s got mature woodland on three sides and quite close to the house. So having the balcony panel flip outwards was a small inconvenience. But I’ve suggested that when the installers come back to repair it they must put supports to the corner pillars and to the house. Luckily it revealed a visual weakness but had the panel just been loosened without seeing it there’s a distinct safety risk. Someone could have leaned themselves against it and fell backwards /forwards onto the ground below.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Raced back to the site from work, a new PB.

Storm Eunice has passed, the damage to Cornwall was minimal, trees seem to have taken the brunt with several toppled onto roads.
On site out of the four awnings left erected, three are now trashed, ours I caught in time as the pegs to one side and half the front had been pulled out, which appears to be fatal as this allows the gust into the awning to devastating effect.

Our awning has a flaw, that is plastic hooks sewn into the base of the awning, these snap, so a couple or is it three years back anyway I bought a hard plastic type of rod which cut down can be pushed threw the fabric hoop left after the factory fit plastic hooks go pop and the ladder is nicely held in place, I have a tub full of them in the peg bag for just in case.
This is the same picture as before but in proper scale of one of the trashed awnings this morning, the other two closely followed, very dramatic.
IMG-20220218-WA0003.jpg

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Glad you saved the awning. Sorry for your neighbours. Hope the demise of their awnings did not damage their vans. Insurance not very likely to pay out, I would guess?
I have commented before that pegs being pulled out are the weakest link for an awning.
mel

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS