Taking foodstuff into the EU

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
We are crossing to Spain with our van in a couple of weeks time and are wondering whether we actually have to empty the fridge before we arrive in Santander?
I'm aware that we mustn't import many fresh food items into the EU but can we take fridge contents for the first night or two, to save having to go straight to a supermarket on day one?
Has anyone crossed on this route very recently? Are vans being checked for food items?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are crossing to Spain with our van in a couple of weeks time and are wondering whether we actually have to empty the fridge before we arrive in Santander?
I'm aware that we mustn't import many fresh food items into the EU but can we take fridge contents for the first night or two, to save having to go straight to a supermarket on day one?
Has anyone crossed on this route very recently? Are vans being checked for food items?
The rules about foodstuffs into the EU are quite clear and don’t discriminate on where they are carried. But whether the Spanish authorities actually check is another thing. Just because X number of visitors may not be checked who is to say whether a spot check might be implemented. If it were me I would take what food is allowable and make do, then do a proper shop shortly after arrival.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We regularly watch the Aus or NZ Border Patrol on TV and it seems some sealed packaged and tin food is allowed, but unsure if this also applies to EU. If they had to check every vehicle, they will still be off loading and processing vehicles several hours later. I don't think they are bothered with tourists just those trying to bring in huge quantities of food for resale in the EU,
Like previous we only carried sausage and bacon. Don't like French sausage and never could find bacon. Spain sausage and bacon okay. Our biggest issue was find compatible dog food for fussy dogs.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I did a little research and found two sites.

Not that straight forwards as one says you can take a limited quantity of fruit and the others says you can’t even take an apple or banana for a snack. It may not be too bad if flying or traveling solo. But I see it as being a complete pain when taking the van. If overnighting at or near a port before departure, it would mean dumping good food prior to travel. Then, on arrival trying to find a supermarket that would take the van to stock up.

Doable yes. But a pain.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even flying there are some strict rules in place. For years the US, Canada and Australia have banned certain foodstuffs. And in Oz there are even inter state restrictions too. The penalties for contravention are steep. But the airport terminals are provided with adequate notices and bins.

We have not yet announced our much delayed import restrictions on plants and food coming in to Britain. The much delayed procedures are now due July this year, and are expected to mirror those applied by the EU. So inbound travellers may have to empty the fridge and eat their baguettes, and dump the dog stuff too, before arrival.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As always don't just rely on information gleaned from forums, There may be some bright spark that says you can take something becasue they got away with it once...., but the consequences of being caught can be quite severe - is it worth risking ruining a holiday or trip?

Some places might even have the power to seize your vehicle?

Check with the official sources about what tourists can and cant take over borders.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, our instinct is to err on the side of caution.
So we will have some eggs, a small quantity of prepared ("eviscerated") fish fillets and some bread or bread rolls.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
We can't wait to get abroad again - the UK is lovely and we've had a number of excellent touring holidays here in the last 2 years, but sunshine in the Algarve in February is too tempting!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, our instinct is to err on the side of caution.
So we will have some eggs, a small quantity of prepared ("eviscerated") fish fillets and some bread or bread rolls.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
We can't wait to get abroad again - the UK is lovely and we've had a number of excellent touring holidays here in the last 2 years, but sunshine in the Algarve in February is too tempting!

Here’s the current EU rules for info. Enjoy the trip.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts