Taking the Caravan to Skye

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Hi, has anyone travelled to Skye recently? We're thinking of using the Mallaig ferry and would appreciate any info on the towing on roads to and from it, etc. It would appear to be a shorter route from the south than the bridge. The last time I was in that part of the world the roads were quite narrow, and I would be interested to know if they have been improved. Thanks, Mike

Nov 5, 2005
Visit site
Mike Roads have all improved but I would go to up to Invergarry cross to Kyle of Lochalsh over the bridge to Skye it is free good roads all the way

William

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike

It all depends if you are in rush! Surely not on holiday??

The "Road to the Isles " from Fort William is not fast, but quite well maintained and scenic. The ferry from Mallaig to Armadale takes about half an hour.Crossing the water gives the scenery another perspective , well worth it.

We are using Caledonian Mac Brayne Island Hopscotch tickets which makwes the whole tour of teh Islands well worth it.

Cheers

Dustydog

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mike the road up to Mallaig is not to bad at all now. If it was me I would just stop at Arisaig and look across at Skye. Arisaig is a magic little place clear sea and silver sands.

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Thanks everyone, your comments are very helpful. We're not in a big rush but have a long drive to get to Skye. I would have used the bridge if the A851 north of the ferry was still a single track with passing places - but it seems to have been improved since we last looked at it.

So we'll take the ferry going north for the photo opps (and the driving break) and return over the bridge. We're staying at the new C&CC site which we're looking forward to very much.

Thanks again

Mike

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone, your comments are very helpful. We're not in a big rush but have a long drive to get to Skye. I would have used the bridge if the A851 north of the ferry was still a single track with passing places - but it seems to have been improved since we last looked at it.

So we'll take the ferry going north for the photo opps (and the driving break) and return over the bridge. We're staying at the new C&CC site which we're looking forward to very much.

Thanks again

Mike
Nice site, we campted there a few years ago just before the C&CC took it over. We aim to go back there taking the van next time, maybe next year? who knows?

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We were there in May this year. Going north the road alongside loch lomond at the north end is appalling- narrow twisty busy and a dangerous surface. Watch out just by the loch lomond holiday park especially if the road is wet. An alternative is to go via rest and be thankful but this is quite narrow- how confident are you? The road from Fort William to Mallaig is brilliant and much improved. there are a number of sites to stop at by Morar which has wonderful sand. Glencoe C and CC site is great and if you go over Ranoch moor to get to it there is a snack wagon at the top with stacks of parking and the best views you will see. (Good sausage baps!!) Morrisons in Ft William is the last big supermarket but there is a large co-op as you get onto Skye from the bridge. Keep your tank full as there are few petrol stations. Have a good time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts