Tales of Caution from France

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

Returned last weekend from three weeks in France and Spain which apart from some wet weather in France was enjoyable. A couple of points which may be of use to those who have still to go on holiday to France.

1) For anyone travelling to the South of France via A6 please be aware that there were signs in both directions stating that the A42 which by passes Lyon to the East is closed between 9PM and 6AM for three months for road works. They are widening the road. There was no indication on the signs on when the three month period had begun or was due to finish. If anyone is planning on going down that route overnight please be aware that you may have to go through Lyon on A6.

2) I know this has been mentioned on here many times before but obviously some people are either not aware of it or don't believe it. I am talking about robberies in motorway service areas. We travelled Hull to Zeebrugge, had an overnight stop at the municipal site in Chalon en Champagne then made an early start south on the Sunday morning (last Sunday in June). We stopped for breakfast just after nine at the somewhat aptly named ChateauVillain Services on the A5. This is a full service area not a rest area. Parking for caravans was in clear view of shop/cafe building and not away in some secluded corner. As we drew in I noticed there were two motor homes already there. We were almost immediately approached by a British lady from one of the motor homes asking if she could borrow a mobile phone. Turns out they had arrived in Dunkerque the previous afternoon, drove south till they felt like stopping and parked up in the service area for the night. Just prior to us arriving they had woken up to find out that at sometime during the night they had been robbed. Two mobile phones, camera, cash and credit card gone and never heard a thing, the other motor home had also been robbed.

They used our phone to contact relatives back home to cancel their credit card and mobile phones. The thieves had been very specific in what they were looking for, hadn't rummaged about just taken what was visible plus the cards in the gent's trouser pocket. There were five in the family, mum,dad and three children who looked in early to mid teens but nobody heard a thing. They had visited France before with a tent but this was their first venture with a motor home and they did not appear to have heard of the risk in staying overnight in service areas.

I do not want to sound alarmist, just drawing this potential risk to the attention of anyone else who is perhaps new to the forum and has not been alerted to the risk. Just in case anyone was wondering there was no mention of any of the family suffering effects of "gassing" as has been suggested in other instances. Seems to have been thieves who were very skilled at what they were doing. It certainly made us a bit more security conscious for the rest of our holiday.

For those still to go on holiday, please do not let the above put you off, just be aware of the potential risk.

Robert

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I always find these stories of highway robbery very difficult to believe, I wake up If the better half just goes to the loo, let alone goes rummaging through cupboards or piles of clothes.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the trouble with people that use aires is that they drive and drive and get exhausted and them fall into a very deep sleep so no wonder criminals are able to rob them. What is wrong with people, they are on holiday why do they put themselves under the same pressure they have just left behind at work? For the sake of a

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Steve I can assure you this one is true. I have no reason to make it up nor did the family involved, they phoned home on my mobile in my presence to arrange for card and phones to be cancelled. Re wakening up when someone moves about I do appreciate your point, I was wondering if the fact it was a motor home made a difference, any time I've had a look at one in a showroom they seem much more stable than a caravan with less bounce when someone walked about. As stated in original post there was no sign the thief had rummaged about but had taken what was easily accessed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have friends who were robbed on an aire and so were there companions.

They were caught in a storm and so failed to meet up with us at Macon

Other friends were robbed near to Madrid at the beginning of the year by bogus drug enforcement officer

It really does happen but it is fortunately only to a small minority of people

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I don't question that these incidents happen and that maybe motorhome are more stable so maybe move less when people walk around but how did they get in.If they broke in how did they do that without making a lot of noise or was the door left unlocked if so then they deserve what they got.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Plotter "was the door left unlocked if so then they deserve what they got."

Really ??? I can see your cup of human kindness is over flowing. What a poor response to what is really an appaling crime.

Val & Frank

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Plotter,

Speaking as one who was robbed whilst asleep in the caravan parked in an aire north of Lyon (Villefranche)in 2002 i find your remarks completely insensitive!

Parked in the correct place for caravans, well lit, in full view of the all night cafe/restaruant, door locked, alarm set, aquaroll & wastemaster inside door.

Neither wife or myself heard a thing, door lock forced & items above removed to gain entry, wife heard something, called me but realised i was asleep beside her, i got up & chased the b'stard (in hindsight not the done thing) he got my wifes watch & necklace my shorts which contained passports, wallet, cash, credit cards etc.

Alarm bypassed by forcing batter compartment door & disconecting battery.

Police called & were on site within minutes, took details & then sped off, caught the b'stard at the next aire rifleing my shorts, never recovered necklace or watch, recovered wallet complete with credit cards, but now too late as i'd already cancelled them.

we now have a safe fitted & the battery compartment is also wired to the alarm system

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reading these postings reminds me of an incident my father-in-law told me of whilst on a trip to southern Spain. On his site, a local 'ne'r do well' had been helping himself to the valuables of caravans and motorhomes. However, it proved to be one motorhome too many. The owner, a large strapping gent, returned to catch the thief red handed. The thief tried to get out of the motorhome. The motorhome owner was having none of it and gave the thief a bit of a pasting before restraining him. By the time they emerged from the motorhome half the site were alerted to the commotion. The owner had a firm grip on the thief who was bawling from a blood spattered face. The police took the thief away along with lots of evidence and basically thanked the motorhome owner for apprehending the criminal who had brought a mini crime wave to the area. There, sometimes there is justice in this world.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sadly, if that had happened in England, you can bet your life that it would be the motorhome owner who was charged with assault, and had to compensate the 'victim'.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I am sorry if you find my observation insensitive however the point I was making is the same if you left you car for instance with the key in the ignition and it got stolen would you not be your own worst enemy,the insurance companies agree with me because in those circumstances your insurance will not payout.Equally if you leave your house or caravan unlocked and someone enters you are not insured.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Frank I have no desire to fall into your usual game of being controversial,however I fail to understand what you mean by working for the BBc anyway my last post said the same as my first in that if you leave your keys in the ignition then you will probably get what you deserve for being careless.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Plotter,

Following your logic. If you have a caravan you deserve to get it nicked, If you have a house you deserve to have a break-in. If you have a wallet in your pocket you deserve to have it stolen. We must never cast any blame on the poor darlings who have such a need that they can't restrain themselves. After all they might be disadvantaged or even heaven forbid, not British.

ttfn

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Mike that is not what I said I said if they were left unlocked then you should not be suprised in this day and age if it is there when you get back which rather different to what you are saying.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the trouble with people that use aires is that they drive and drive and get exhausted and them fall into a very deep sleep so no wonder criminals are able to rob them. What is wrong with people, they are on holiday why do they put themselves under the same pressure they have just left behind at work? For the sake of a

May 10, 2007
Visit site
Friends of my parents knew the people who were featured on a TV report as they had their Caravan stolen whilst they were in Rownham services on the M27!

We've had caravans stolen here in the UK and also know of thefts whilst caravanning in the UK.

On our trip I've stopped with our mums on French Services as James and I have done very many times.

In French theft reports -

With numerous people in the caravans and motorhomes the thieves never ever normally disturb anyone?

There is nothing in the doorway or on the floor for the thieves to stumble on?

Valuables and Keys are never stored under the sleeping occupants in inaccessible cupboards or drawers but where the thieves can just *** in and take passports, money and jewellery as the inhabitants all sleep like babes!

Also if the lady motorhomer was using the mobile to call "relatives" re lost cards and passports etc we would be smelling rat!

We've called banks when a cards been lost and the correct authorities when my daughter lost her passport not the folks back home.

Try checking your call log or mobile phone bill and checking who was called!

How many people camp or caravan and just leave all valuables where a thief can just help them selves as you slumber?

Also do others not secure the door on the inside at night?

Having camped in tents and caravans in some remote locations I can never remember us leaving all our valuables where a thief would not have to move one of us to get to the goodies.

Having lived in Germany and Italy for many years and had many many holidays and breaks in France we feel fare more secure and safer in Europe than we do in the UK.

Ria

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Ria,

regards the lady using my mobile to phone relative back home to cancel cards and mobile - The reason she did not phone her phone provider direct was that she had stored their number in her mobile which was stolen. She used my phone in my presence and I heard all of the conversation. All above aboard, she phoned relative who had access to her house, told her where old phone bill with contact details was kept. My own phone bill covering that period is now in, nothing sinister there. The other mobile and credit card stolen were connected to her husband's business, the other call, which I again heard in its entirety was to work colleague to cancel phone and card.

Perhaps a lesson to us all to keep contact numbers written down somewhere.

May 10, 2007
Visit site
That sounds fair, but without further scaremongering there are known to be some "Brit Scammers" that opperate on the continent.

As serial travellers due to James job, our cars and caravan have back up details and spare keys at all times.

But I still can't believe that people just leave everything together when holidaying or where a thief can just pick it up.

Ria

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I like that one John worth considering.

With regards to the bickering, sorry I just can't let comments like Plotters go, otherwise anyone reading it would think we all agree. I certainly didn't agree with the comment it serves them right etc.

Val & Frank

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Why not let it go Frank or at least quote correctly.I still maintain that to put it yet another wat if you leave property unsecured in this day and age then it is likely that someone may deprive you of it,if that was to happen would you be suprised or would you think maybe just maybe that you contributed to the outcome.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
OK I will let it go, but not without giving you your quote

" If they broke in how did they do that without making a lot of noise or was the door left unlocked if so then they deserve what they got."

Now that is what you said " they deserve what they got "

Very Un christian

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts