Tea drinking

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We generally buy Yorkshire tea normal and decaffeinated. However we find the tea not as "tea" strong as when using tea leaves like I remember from my youth. We have now bought 3 different loose tea, but on opening they appear to mostly stalks and not tea leaves. Are the stalks just as good as the proper tea leaves where you used a strainer?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Any loose tea that we have bought has been leaves, although some will have leaves that are larger than in some common makes of packet tea. I would just give them a try and see what the resulting flavour is. Depending on the “ flush” you will get different strength an flavour. First flush being more delicate, third flush stronger.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Any loose tea that we have bought has been leaves, although some will have leaves that are larger than in some common makes of packet tea. I would just give them a try and see what the resulting flavour is. Depending on the “ flush” you will get different strength an flavour. First flush being more delicate, third flush stronger.
Maybe we have been trying the wrong brands? I think we tried Twinnings and Earl Grey

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This is what Assam first flush looks like, as an example of how different it can be to normal packet tea. Making it becomes something of a ritual.

BA4BEE64-5CE4-4CD2-89F2-1F62CAC179DC.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This is what Assam first flush looks like, as an example of how different it can be to normal packet tea. Making it becomes something of a ritual.

View attachment 2916
Please can you enlighten me about first flush. As a youngster in our household, it was a teapot and strainer using actual tea leaves. One of aunts was supposed to be able to your fortune by looking at the tea leaves. A bit difficult now with tea bags. LOL!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dad was the Company Secretaray of MacLeod Russell Co Ltd. . A major tea importer and owner of some of the largest tea plantations , Darjeeling, Assam etc. We never had stalks. But times have changed and some blends need stalks to balance the taste.
SWMBO will use Taylor’s of Harrogate Yorkshire tea. I prefer Twinnings Lady Grey , same as Earl Grey with Bergamot oil and a twist of orange. Best drank without milk and sugar.
Tea bags in caravan, leaves at home.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I decided to google which was the best tea leaf tea and was a bit taken aback and the different varieties like black, green, white etc tea. I do not like herbal tea with the various flavours. I find Twinnings and Earl Grey rather bland in taste as like many other brands there is IMHO insufficient tea in the tea bags.

TBH I thought tea was tea. I would like to try some loose leaf green or black tea if I can find any, but need to be careful of caffeine content. Seems THIS place may supply loose leaf tea.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I haven't drank tea for over 50 years or so always prefering coffee. My wife though is a bit of a tea connoissuer (posh for snob :) ) and blends her own.

Recently I decided to try the green tea she gets and found it remarkably refreshing and have been on that ever since, forgoing my daily coffee.

It's Organic Sencha Loose Leaf Tea from Japan.

Can't bring myself to try anything else yet.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have hand carved, sealed wooden box, of tea, which was given to me by a plantation owner, when I worked in India, about 25 years ago. I wanted to open it but SWMBO, says No. Not yet. 😫
And whilst working in the north of Pakistan, It was always Green Tea, with cardamon pods, I didn't like it when a blob of Yaks Butter was added.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Lose tea should be better than bags simply because you are less likely to get the dust that often makes up a lot of the the weight in tea bags. Loose tea though is far more messy, but at least you can see what you are getting.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Lose tea should be better than bags simply because you are less likely to get the dust that often makes up a lot of the the weight in tea bags. Loose tea though is far more messy, but at least you can see what you are getting.

Not quite technically following why loose tea would be "better" than the dust in tea bags, after all, the drink tea is an infusion and the more defused the product is, the better its essence is released.

I suspect it is more the non-tangible spin off from the ritual of using leaves, rather than anything else that yields a better experience.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
We generally buy Yorkshire tea normal and decaffeinated. However we find the tea not as "tea" strong as when using tea leaves like I remember from my youth. We have now bought 3 different loose tea, but on opening they appear to mostly stalks and not tea leaves. Are the stalks just as good as the proper tea leaves where you used a strainer?

We like a good cup of "builders" as well. We buy our tea (loose and bagged) from a Miles Tea in Porlock. They have several blends and some single leaf teas. We don't by any well know brands since we discovered this tea blender.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I haven't drank tea for over 50 years or so always prefering coffee. My wife though is a bit of a tea connoissuer (posh for snob :) ) and blends her own.

Recently I decided to try the green tea she gets and found it remarkably refreshing and have been on that ever since, forgoing my daily coffee.

I haven't drunk tea or coffee for 4 years - the cardiology consultant who resuscitated me put me on a permanent restricted fluid regime and advised against caffeine drinks (and alcohol).

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Another vote for Ringtons and Miles of Porlock, I've bought from both.
Amazon also have an excellent range from independant tea growers. I particularly like Niko Teas. I make my own blend of Niko loose leaf Delightful Ceylon or Niko Whole Leaf Black Tea - Single Estate Orange Pekoe 'Ruhuna' mixed with Niko Premium Loose Leaf English Breakfast black tea. The Niko 500g packs are excellent value.
Look also at the Ringtons loose tea infuser. An ingenious device which we use every day at home and when away in our caravan.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Mrs Ern has been a green tea fan for several years. I got used to drinking Herbatta in Poland which is nice, and often brought some back for Mrs Ern. I visited China a few times on business and visiting tea shops, learned first that their "decent" tea is far too expensive for my style of tea drinking, but Mrs Ern indulged in some high-end Chinese teas. Even so, I simply could not afford the best because it is crazy money. Me? I like a nice cup of Tetleys with milk and sugar.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I haven't drunk tea or coffee for 4 years - the cardiology consultant who resuscitated me put me on a permanent restricted fluid regime and advised against caffeine drinks (and alcohol).
Not been done that route and hope not to, but I have also got to avoid caffeine which is why I mainly drink Kenco decaffeinated and Yorkshire tea decaffeinated. I have one cup of coffee with caffeine and one cup of tea with caffeine a day.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

In the morning I am trying some "Green tea" from LIDL. I add a teaspoon of honey which gives it a lovely flavour. Maybe next time I will be buying a better quality green tea.
Went through the food cupboard and found some open boxes of tea from Earl Gray and Twinnings. Tried them both again and then realised why they were at the back of the cupboard! :D

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mrs Ern has been a green tea fan for several years. I got used to drinking Herbatta in Poland which is nice, and often brought some back for Mrs Ern. I visited China a few times on business and visiting tea shops, learned first that their "decent" tea is far too expensive for my style of tea drinking, but Mrs Ern indulged in some high-end Chinese teas. Even so, I simply could not afford the best because it is crazy money. Me? I like a nice cup of Tetleys with milk and sugar.
Been on the green tea for the past couple of months and cannot say I am impressed. Once the current box is empty, think I will revert back to normal tea whatever that is.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... Are the stalks just as good as the proper tea leaves where you used a strainer?
Tea like most beverages are a matter of personal taste. By all means try different brands and flavours until you find one you like. It won't necessary be liked by others, but that dies not matter it what you like that counts.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts