That time of the year again!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Despite hardly using the caravan which is a 2018 twin axle in the past year, CAMC have increased our premium for Caravan Cover. Granted by not much, but it is still an increase. Many years ago we had a claim and cannot dispute that it was settled quickly.

I phoned the CAMC and modified the values dropping the figure for caravan and associated equipment slightly and increasing contents however overall the total amount was about the same. The premium then increased to over £500 from £480! Considering that when taking out Caravan Cover you do not pay the premium tax in comparison to mainstream insurers, the Caravan Cover works out a lot more expensive for the same cover.

Quotes from the likes of Ripe Insurance are over £100 cheaper and from Myinsurance even cheaper. It makes you wonder why CAMC insist on increasing their prices especially at this point when they do not actually offer insurance?

Still shopping around for quotes!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The CAMH offering is probably the best for service which does account for the cost to some extent. I have never used Ripe but the assessors they use for the claims service get poor reviews on the web. On their web site the quote only how pleased people were with their quotes which is no use and gives the Trust Pilot rating, you need to know how good the claims service is as this is when you realise how good your insurance is. They do not quote a DEFAQTO rating which is worrying as that is used to show a good policy and could leave you short on cover. They show Aviva as the insurer but they do not handle the claims so do not rely on them as the ones dealing which would be a different matter.
My Insurance also do not have a DEFAQTO rating shown, which may mean the cover may be less than with those that have one. The FEEFO rating is useless, as it is basically how easily they took your money, and just about all companies do that well. I have not had time to read the full wording, but before taking cover I would do this carefully. I have tried to find out if there are any reports on their claims service but could not find them.
Like anything you tend to get what you pay for, and if they cut the premium they will generally have to cut something else to allow for this. I would not take out a policy that does not have a DEFAQTO rating other than four or five stars, as you simply have no guarantee of what you are getting and it could end up costing you.
There are plenty of insurers

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Despite hardly using the caravan which is a 2018 twin axle in the past year, CAMC have increased our premium for Caravan Cover. Granted by not much, but it is still an increase. Many years ago we had a claim and cannot dispute that it was settled quickly.

I phoned the CAMC and modified the values dropping the figure for caravan and associated equipment slightly and increasing contents however overall the total amount was about the same. The premium then increased to over £500 from £480! Considering that when taking out Caravan Cover you do not pay the premium tax in comparison to mainstream insurers, the Caravan Cover works out a lot more expensive for the same cover.

Quotes from the likes of Ripe Insurance are over £100 cheaper and from Myinsurance even cheaper. It makes you wonder why CAMC insist on increasing their prices especially at this point when they do not actually offer insurance?

Still shopping around for quotes!
Contents changes may lead to a claim more so than the caravan itself. So that could be the reason for the very slight price increase.
You’ve regularly mentioned Caravan Cover as not being an insurance, but this is not a factor as to whether year on year prices will rise, or possibly fall. Just like conventional insurance Caravan Cover will need to estimate its future risks and business costs. So in that respect it’s not any different from any business. Whether an insurance, or not it provides a good level of cover, has a good reputation for settling claims, and has all of the safeguards appropriate to an conventional insurance. Like any business enterprise costs can rise either through their internal costs, or costs levied by the linked insurers and assessors.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks both to points well made. It may be best to increase the caravan value plus associated equipment however determining what is regarded as associated equipment is difficult to define.
Excluding fitments like motor mover, air con etc I would assume that associated equipment would be gas bottle, BBQ, chairs, aquarolls, awning skirt, cutlery & crockery and 12/240v TV. The latter seems to be a grey area.
Any input please? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks both to points well made. It may be best to increase the caravan value plus associated equipment however determining what is regarded as associated equipment is difficult to define.
Excluding fitments like motor mover, air con etc I would assume that associated equipment would be gas bottle, BBQ, chairs, aquarolls, awning skirt, cutlery & crockery and 12/240v TV. The latter seems to be a grey area.
Any input please? Thanks.
It used to be if you turned the van upside down what fell out was contents and equipment. But to be cautious I would actually ring and ask the proposed insurer about the air con if it was an after market fitment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts