"That war time feeling"

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
First I applaud all the things we have seen done regarding the virus situation. But the comment about the war time feeling makes me think what it was and meant. I lived through the war , my wife as a school child witnessed the mine which killed a member of the her household and neighbours as well. She does not remember seeing a trauma clinic because in those days its just one of those things. She also did not see her father for over three years as he was in the army. When our house was damaged and all the windows were blown out it was exciting next few days when teams of workmen with barrows laden with asphalt to cover windows up. Again its just one of those things. At school we were at woodwork when hell of a bang and a factory was destroyed about mile away, many injuries and deaths. Our wood work teacher went out then back again to tell several boys to go to their homes. And get back to what we were doing. Its just one of those things. I could go on and on but getting to the point raising cash like we see today could not be done as you only got by with what you had available to live on. Running errands for neighbours was normal. My Father was a tool maker and worked on torpedoes parts by day and evening fire watcher. Sitting by my side is a bell which he had at the time , its dated 1939 I will be using it this Friday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are a decreasing number of people who can remember life, the horrors, the bravery and personal losses of a world war. The Covid pandemic may not have the destructive power of high explosives, but it is having devastating effect on families and keeping them apart and indiscriminately taking hostages and lives.

Keep Safe

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are a decreasing number of people who can remember life, the horrors, the bravery and personal losses of a world war. The Covid pandemic may not have the destructive power of high explosives, but it is having devastating effect on families and keeping them apart and indiscriminately taking hostages and lives.

Keep Safe
Just watched Britain’s Greatest Generation. An hour programme where men and women recounted their roles in WW2. It brought home to me what it meant to be on active service during that time. My own father was in the Far East from 1942 not returning until early 1947. An uncle lost a leg at Alamein and another uncle left Germany for England in December 1944. Even our house in Leicester was bombed as it was close to the optical lense factories and bearing factories. After the end our area was full of American service, and multiple nationalities displaced from Europe. Yet we all got on and enjoyed our young days.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Very few people I know of now remember the war. My mother who is 97 does, but she was born in South Africa and never saw the horrors people over here did. For her the fear of a German naval assault was always a threat, which is how she met my father who was there in case of one.
My late father in law though, was in the second front in the D Day invasion, and from the little he said about it the more you respect the ones who were there and the advance after that. He was actually hit by a German bullet on his water bottle which undoubtedly saved his life during the push forward and as a result of his wounds he was returned home and served as a guard in a POW camp for the rest of the war.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
This was my uncle George (mums bother) with my elder brother born November 39, and our grandparents. I was born just before George was killed in January 43. I am not sure whether he even saw my brother again after this picture, certainly never saw me.
Grorge.JPGGran 1940 001.jpg

Reactions: Parksy
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
This was my uncle George (mums bother) with my elder brother born November 39, and our grandparents. I was born just before George was killed in January 43. I am not sure whether he even saw my brother again after this picture, certainly never saw me.
View attachment 266View attachment 267
Excellent photo which I would be very proud of and your brother a member of the Royal Tank Regiment brave man,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This was my Dad in 1943.
He saw action in Burma with the 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, the Chindits.
They fought behind Japanese lines in brutal conditions.
Dad was still fighting in Burma on VE Day, he came home in 1947
20200508_142453.jpg

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
This was my Dad in 1943.
He saw action in Burma with the 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, the Chindits.
They fought behind Japanese lines in brutal conditions.
Dad was still fighting in Burma on VE Day, he came home in 1947
View attachment 269
You must be proud of him I knew a couple of chaps that fought in the Chindits not a very good time, "The forgotten army",

Reactions: Parksy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts