The bed making conundrum

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
As new and proud owners of a 2 berth caravan we love everything about it... Well, almost everything. Making up the bed is the only challenge. Taking skin off our knuckles each night trying to fit mattress protectors and fitted sheets just isn't fun. But now we've come up with what we think is a pretty good idea. It may not be new, but not sure if others have tried this.
We bought a 1" bamboo covered memory foam mattress topper in super king size, removed it from the zipped stretchy cover and cut a small strip of one side to make it fit the space perfectly then put it back in the zipped cover it came with. My wife is then going to machine up two sheets into a cover that fits snuggly over it like a sleeve with an open end to remove for washing. The idea is to take with us already covered and rolled up in a quilt dry cleaners bag and stored under the seat. Then once bed is pulled out we can simply roll out our super king sleep sheet without needing to tuck in as the sheet as the sleeve holds in place. Chuck two pillows on top and a quilt and we're done. Good idea?

Reactions: Hutch and JezzerB
Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
Duvalays are really expensive and more limited on width and using full width of the bed. We did look at that option but rejected it as we prefer greater comfort

May 11, 2021
Visit site
We have a Dunelm mattress topper which we cover with a fitted sheet the first time it is used. We use the bed, with a double duvet on top, then in the morning simply roll up the topper, sheet and duvet in one package and put out of the way with the pillows until night time, where we make the bed up then simply unroll the whole lot on top.

Reactions: Coachmart
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea of not making the beds up at all. As I have said in a previous post, Im sick to death of moving 4 million scatter cushions that some fool decided a caravan cant do without.

When we make our front up into singles, we have to find space for four cushions, two end squabs, two long backrests and two short backrests. It creates a mountain on the side dinette. Not only does it look awful, its a pain in the proverbial.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of not making the beds up at all. As I have said in a previous post, Im sick to death of moving 4 million scatter cushions that some fool decided a caravan cant do without.

When we make our front up into singles, we have to find space for four cushions, two end squabs, two long backrests and two short backrests. It creates a mountain on the side dinette. Not only does it look awful, its a pain in the proverbial.
Thingy that your choice not making up beds it not mine i like our caravan and with me been tall it suits my needs better

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We are with the OP but without the sewing. Panda memory foam topper in a double duvet cover underneath. Double duvet over. All goes into the wardrobe of our tiny 2 berth in the day.
We sacrificed a fixed bed for the delights of a really small tourer. Now what is it Beachball says……..
Mel

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are with the OP but without the sewing. Panda memory foam topper in a double duvet cover underneath. Double duvet over. All goes into the wardrobe of our tiny 2 berth in the day.
We sacrificed a fixed bed for the delights of a really small tourer. Now what is it Beachball says……..
Mel
Actually we have a 2 berth end washroom we do not make the bed in this because the beds are the right size for me i am 6ft 5in tall this is our preferred choice :)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
We used to use 2 duvet's double on bottom king size on top worked for years. Now on my own have to rethink maybe king size just doubled over? The long seats are not long enough so may only make up half the bed?

Trevor

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We used to use 2 duvet's double on bottom king size on top worked for years. Now on my own have to rethink maybe king size just doubled over? The long seats are not long enough so may only make up half the bed?

Trevor

We did the same before we had a fixed bed. Very easy, very comfy, easy to put away. Also extremely comfy. And not too expensive.

John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
One of the issues with our current van is that the seating is sprung base with a knee roll. Not only are they heavy but unwieldy too. The reverse side or base is memory foam and they should be turned over for best effect. Due to the knee roll though they have to be turned 180 degrees or else they slope to the middle of the van. Its not really the weight thats an issue but the TV stands right next to the large one and eventually something is going to get broken. When you are tired or have been dozing, its a right pain.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
W
One of the issues with our current van is that the seating is sprung base with a knee roll. Not only are they heavy but unwieldy too. The reverse side or base is memory foam and they should be turned over for best effect. Due to the knee roll though they have to be turned 180 degrees or else they slope to the middle of the van. Its not really the weight thats an issue but the TV stands right next to the large one and eventually something is going to get broken. When you are tired or have been dozing, its a right pain.
We used to do that because our Swift has the memory foam underside. We had the seat based re-filled with better quality materials and they are good. We dont bother turning them over at all now. Our rolled up sleeping bags are used as bolster cushions so bed time is a doddle. You have to relax!

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We to have to make the front sofa bed up, as our daughter sleeps in the twin bedroom at the rear of the van, bathroom in between. It suits us as with two doors closed between us at night we all have privacy and nobody needs to disturb another to use the loo.

We removed the front chest to give us the full size sleeping area which is now pretty much king sized rather than the paltry 3'8" width it was before. I stand between sofas and turn the seat cushions upside down on each side, the two back cushions (with the "lugs" that point towards the front windows iyswim) fill the gap where the chest was. Those L shaped ones that you lean on go on the floor as they're not needed. Then pull out slats and put the long back cushions upside down in the middle.

On top of this goes our Dormeo memory foam mattress, which is about 2 inches thick. It has a quilted topper and protector on it, and is encased in a removable fabric sleeve/envelope which acts as a sheet and keeps everything together. This lives rolled up with bungee ropes under one of the rear beds, along with our bedding in zip bags.

So we can just unfurl the mattress, sheet and all, onto the bed area, chuck duvet and pillows on, and we're ready. The whole process takes five minutes with both of us doing our part. It makes for a large, comfortable sleeping area for us.

I couldn't use those Duvalay things as I can't bear to have any part of my bed covers tucked in or enclosed in any way, it has to be a separate duvet that I can kick off as and when.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts