The benefits of Super ( 98RON) Unleaded fuel ??

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there. Having been used to both a Volvo V70 T5 CD Auto and a Volvo V70 2.4T SE Geartronic I find that the 163bhp Volvo V70 D5 just a little bit of a slog when it comes to the occasional need to kick down and get away and this also spills over when towing and especially when on gradients.
I found that both petrol fuelled cars were able to react far quicker and especially when towing than the 163bhp D5 Geartronic is. The biggest let-down with the D5 is the fact that the Kick-down is only really truly affective at low speed and makes little or no difference above about 45mph with the caravan on the back and when solo up-to about 55mph then in both cases the torque takes over.
Would the 185bhp D5 be a worthwhile upgrade?
I am reluctant to go to the 205bhp V70 D5 because it takes me into a totally different and much higher VED class and also the insurance would be very much increased because of the value of the much newer car.
Finally as per my opening subject title, what 'actual' benefits not what we are told by the fuel companies are there to using Super Unleaded 98RON petrol as opposed to standard 91RON unleaded?
My final point would apply to both solo & when towing.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Why have you posted this towcar question in the new members section?

Hi ProfJohnL. I have already addressed that issue with a 'Report to a Moderator'. That said, you have asked your question before it was actioned.
The answer is that I have been experiencing pages jumping about on my PC,allegedly it is/was a FireFox issue that I have since cleared. The problem is referred to ask 'Hanging'.
The recommendation was to Re-set FireFox to the original default settings,I have reason to believe that it is/was linked to a FlashPlayer that is Shockwave even though I had not loaded it simply because I do not play games on the PC.
I have repeatedly had it coming up and even when it was disabled and later removed.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi TR,
I had the same issues with Firefox right from the start of the forum upgrade, I would read a thread click reply write the script and when submitting it would either end up in the wrong place or just disappear altogether that was when I actually got it to log on, the resolution was to uninstall Firefox completely and reinstall the latest version, since then no problems, from what I could gather during a upgrade something went wrong with the data stream from the server and corrupted the program,

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
hi TR,
I had the same issues with Firefox right from the start of the forum upgrade, I would read a thread click reply write the script and when submitting it would either end up in the wrong place or just disappear altogether that was when I actually got it to log on, the resolution was to uninstall Firefox completely and reinstall the latest version, since then no problems, from what I could gather during a upgrade something went wrong with the data stream from the server and corrupted the program,

Hi Colin. For the want of high-jacking my own thread and suffering the wrath of the Mods,I actually did install a brand new and latest FireFox after a serious crash and the need to have my HD reformatted.
I have since carried out the suggested fix and it seems OK BUT I have not ventured into E'bay, AutoTrader or CaravanTimes as yet. They were the ones that the majority of the issues occurred with but in total fairness to CaravanTimes and AutoTrader - it was E'bay that the real issue lay with.
I also had issues when into The CC - ClubTogether. I would set out my thread or post reply and Copy and Paste it as a 'Belt & Braces' then submit it. I believe that it was more to-do with the CC site timing out very very prematurely than a FireFox issue.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
one thing i have noticed on this new forum TR and that is if you reply using the quick reply it has to be or you get timed out after about a couple of mins . using the normal reply button in the middle does not seem to time you out though,

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
one thing i have noticed on this new forum TR and that is if you reply using the quick reply it has to be or you get timed out after about a couple of mins . using the normal reply button in the middle does not seem to time you out though,

Hi again Colin. I assume that you mean the New PCM Forum!!!!
I have not found any issue from that perspective but there-again I have ticked the Remember Me option in the small square box.

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I started using 98RON super unleaded in my BMW 3 Series soon after I got it (this is a few years ago). The difference in MPG was definitely noticeable, and for a while, 98RON was the cheaper option because of the increased economy. I tried 98 in a Renault Laguna for a few tanks a few years ago - no difference whatsoever, so not worth it.
I have yet to try it in my current Mercedes CLK230K Convertible, but I suspect it will be similar to the BMW. The Renault was just not built to run on 98.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Themisto-Adrastea said:
I started using 98RON super unleaded in my BMW 3 Series soon after I got it (this is a few years ago). The difference in MPG was definitely noticeable, and for a while, 98RON was the cheaper option because of the increased economy. I tried 98 in a Renault Laguna for a few tanks a few years ago - no difference whatsoever, so not worth it.
I have yet to try it in my current Mercedes CLK230K Convertible, but I suspect it will be similar to the BMW. The Renault was just not built to run on 98.

Hi T-A. The car that I am actually referring to is a May 2000 (W) BMW E36 2ltr Auto (not for towing) and it is stated in the owner manual the the car should be run on Super Unleaded 98RON fuel and only use 91RON - Regular Unleaded in extreme circumstances,I take this as if 98RON is unavailable and to only use 91RON to get to a fuel stop that has it and then fill right-up with 98RON fuel.
Consider that the owner manual was produced pre 2000 and fuel is a great-deal cleaner and allegedly most regular unleaded is now actually 95RON it does leave the 98RON fuel being questionable on benefits.

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Mine was a 1998 (S) E36 318iS manual (the 1.9 litre 16v, not the 1.8 litre 8v). Similar to yours, the manual said 98RON was preferable. BMW suffered lots back then with the 6 cylinder engines - something to do with the Nikasil lining on the bores. I think 98RON fuel was a bit kinder to the linings. Unlike your 2.0, my 4-banger was immune to that problem, but it did run very well on the good stuff.
Next time I have some clubcard points saved up I'll put a tank full in the Merc, just to see what happens.

I do miss that Beemer!

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Themisto-Adrastea said:
Mine was a 1998 (S) E36 318iS manual (the 1.9 litre 16v, not the 1.8 litre 8v). Similar to yours, the manual said 98RON was preferable. BMW suffered lots back then with the 6 cylinder engines - something to do with the Nikasil lining on the bores. I think 98RON fuel was a bit kinder to the linings. Unlike your 2.0, my 4-banger was immune to that problem, but it did run very well on the good stuff.
Next time I have some clubcard points saved up I'll put a tank full in the Merc, just to see what happens.

I do miss that Beemer!

Hi again T-A. Although my car is designated an E36 and the 2.0ltr Auto,it is actually a Z3.
Yes,I had heard of the issue with the engine suffering from the use of lower grade fuels but I also understand that it has also affected the ones that have only ever been run on 98RON fuel.
That said,allowing tanks to get low with the possibility of running on fumes or even attempting fresh air running and condensation building up and especially during the colder times of the year would add to the risks of fuel related issues.
This particular car has a certified 60,00miles and comes with a BMW history and all MoT's. I have - just today - been given a full read-out of all the works that have been carried out on the car from new and covering warranty work and service replacement items by my local BMW people - Halliwell Jones.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Benefits of super unleaded?

Heavy loaded CRV on the annual jolly to Italy and back. Used only super last year, one less fill up there, one less back, same this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts