The best solution

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
I have now reached the stage of total disatisfaction with my new Bessacarr 2006 van. 16 faults, some not yet reolved. Wrote to the dealer again last night regarding the situation. I am a loyal custoner of this dealer and the Swift brand 8 vans to date. I am looking for a way out with this van as my confidence in it is now zero. realistically what do you think is the best i can do. Has anybody been in this situation and come to a satisfactory solution with the dealer. I dont want a refund just a caravan that is problem free.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Andrew, we have only had ours a couple of months now, but it is still working fine. Two minor faults being a wardrobe door would not close tight, and it kept the interior light on. Secondly a curtain track was loose, the screws being a little short. the dealer fixed both problems with no quibble.

Val & Frank

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Andrew :

I am not familiar with your caravan; but the principal is the same; if the dealer has sold you defective mercahndise which is 'not fit for purpose' he is obliged to fix it or refund you your money.

I suggest that you kick up stink with SWIFT International directly. If that doesn't work, you can easily escalate. The dealer would hate to be named and shamed and SWIFT may not enjoy their name being trashed in a Forum such as this.

Good luck!

John

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, we have only had ours a couple of months now, but it is still working fine. Two minor faults being a wardrobe door would not close tight, and it kept the interior light on. Secondly a curtain track was loose, the screws being a little short. the dealer fixed both problems with no quibble.

Val & Frank
Hi. I appreciate that Bessacarrs are generally good vans with few faults, it was friends who owned one who talked us inti it. but we have a "lemon" and it has had so many problems that all confidence has been eroded. It has had more faults on it than all my other vans put together. I am really after opinions of what people in a similar position have achieved.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Andrew :

I am not familiar with your caravan; but the principal is the same; if the dealer has sold you defective mercahndise which is 'not fit for purpose' he is obliged to fix it or refund you your money.

I suggest that you kick up stink with SWIFT International directly. If that doesn't work, you can easily escalate. The dealer would hate to be named and shamed and SWIFT may not enjoy their name being trashed in a Forum such as this.

Good luck!

John
Thanks for that, i am well versed on the law and the procedures to take, but the law and reality are sometimes a lot different. I really would like to hear from people in a similar position and managed to resolve it satisfactrily.

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Our problems with our new Lunar goes back to the day it was delivered in March... In fact when friends asked us what the problems are I say point to anything in the van and I'll tell you whats wrong with it! We demanded a replacement but both dealer and Lunar will not do that... its finally going back to lunar in December to have all the repairs and leaks done... I think it was the way Lunar refused to respond to our phone calls and emails. We didn't know where to turn. We realise now that this got them past the date for having to make a refund or replacement offer!

Not at all happy about it all... like yourself, we love our van and just want it fit for the purpose it was sold to us for.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
andrew, sorry to read about your problem 'van.

we had a brand-new elddis in 02 and had noting but trouble with it; doors coming off/not shutting, roof trims missing/falling off, leaking toilet, cracked washroom sink, lights not working, missing upholstery; our list was endless.

on reflection, i know, we should have refused the van on handover as many faults were apparent then, but you know, 'shiny new van appeal' takes over, and the dealer in question assured us all would be sorted out in 'a couple of weeks' (yeah right)!!!

after much complaint to dealer and elddis, and many months of disappointment with our van, the dealer agreed to take it back. we turned up with van in tow and when the paperwork was being completed we noticed a large sum of money had been removed from the final balance. 'thats the price of the van less vat' we were told...

took van home again!!!

in 04 we bought another new van from a different dealer and after a few teething troubles have been 'well chuffed' with it.

hope something gets sorted in your favour andrew, but don't bet on it!

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Our problems with our new Lunar goes back to the day it was delivered in March... In fact when friends asked us what the problems are I say point to anything in the van and I'll tell you whats wrong with it! We demanded a replacement but both dealer and Lunar will not do that... its finally going back to lunar in December to have all the repairs and leaks done... I think it was the way Lunar refused to respond to our phone calls and emails. We didn't know where to turn. We realise now that this got them past the date for having to make a refund or replacement offer!

Not at all happy about it all... like yourself, we love our van and just want it fit for the purpose it was sold to us for.
Yours is an identical situation to mine back in 2002.Your complaint is with the dealer, not the manufacturer. Eventually I went to another ( non-Lunar) dealer and paid myself. I wrote a comprehensive e mail and spoke in person to Lunar.They did send some replacement parts free of charge for me to have fitted at my expense. Despite all the problems I have had I still wouldn't swop my van !

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Andrew, I think your only sure redress is to consult a solicitor and threaten legal action if you do not have your faults put right within a reasonable amount of time. If you inform the dealers in writing of all the faults before the warranty expires you should be covered.

It really is awful that having parted with that amount of money for a supposed top of the range van you have all this to contend with.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew and all,

Assuming your complaint is that the goods are not fit for purpose, and not of merchantable quality then JohnI. has given you the correct info. The contract you have is with your seller, and that is where you must take your complaint. If you used a HP to finance the purchase, then technically the finance house is the seller.

Whilst you can try to enlist the help of the manufacture, they are not obliged to get involved unless you purcahsed directly from them. And equally other dealers are not obliged to become involved.

By the same token, the seller cannot delay action by claimimg the manufacture has not authorised them.

Definatel seek professional advice form a soliciter or the CAB.

Be honest and reasonable in any statements or demands you may make, as these might be later tested in court.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
I used to have a Bessacar caravan in the 70s . It was coach built no electric and it had gas lighting .

We had some of the happiest times of our lives in that caravan , when I bought it we walpapered the inside with flock walpaper all the rage then .Then we put up some crushed velvet curtains and a nice red carpet . It wasn't long before I got hold of a old fuse box from a derilict factory and I put mains electric into it.

They don't make them like that any more

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I used to have a Bessacar caravan in the 70s . It was coach built no electric and it had gas lighting .

We had some of the happiest times of our lives in that caravan , when I bought it we walpapered the inside with flock walpaper all the rage then .Then we put up some crushed velvet curtains and a nice red carpet . It wasn't long before I got hold of a old fuse box from a derilict factory and I put mains electric into it.

They don't make them like that any more
Sounds like a curry house!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
andrew, sorry to read about your problem 'van.

we had a brand-new elddis in 02 and had noting but trouble with it; doors coming off/not shutting, roof trims missing/falling off, leaking toilet, cracked washroom sink, lights not working, missing upholstery; our list was endless.

on reflection, i know, we should have refused the van on handover as many faults were apparent then, but you know, 'shiny new van appeal' takes over, and the dealer in question assured us all would be sorted out in 'a couple of weeks' (yeah right)!!!

after much complaint to dealer and elddis, and many months of disappointment with our van, the dealer agreed to take it back. we turned up with van in tow and when the paperwork was being completed we noticed a large sum of money had been removed from the final balance. 'thats the price of the van less vat' we were told...

took van home again!!!

in 04 we bought another new van from a different dealer and after a few teething troubles have been 'well chuffed' with it.

hope something gets sorted in your favour andrew, but don't bet on it!
Dave First it would be of use to the forum readers if you named the caravan that you were not satified with and also the caravan you are satisfied with .

You have also raised a point that im sure most of us need some clarification ,[The dealer offered you a full refund minus the VAT ].Is this usual ??? ,or within trading standards law ???.

Its good that you now have a van that you are happy with .I hope you will not take offence with my coments as i think you have raised a very important point reference the VAT .im sure someone will know what the legal position is as we offten hear of people returning unacceptable vans Coljac

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave First it would be of use to the forum readers if you named the caravan that you were not satified with and also the caravan you are satisfied with .

You have also raised a point that im sure most of us need some clarification ,[The dealer offered you a full refund minus the VAT ].Is this usual ??? ,or within trading standards law ???.

Its good that you now have a van that you are happy with .I hope you will not take offence with my coments as i think you have raised a very important point reference the VAT .im sure someone will know what the legal position is as we offten hear of people returning unacceptable vans Coljac
no offence taken.

the 'problem' van was an elddis avante, which was just shy of

TRENDING THREADS