The dreaded trailing caravan cable - Again!!!

Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

Yes yet again another thread on the dreaded trailing caravan cable, but this time a little more of an in-depth problem.

I have a 2022 Elddis Avante 554 and have an ATS module fitted, I'm towing it with a new Vivaro double cab van. My issue is that my caravan cable was trailing low and has worn through a number of cables, I've done a repair, connecting them back together and covering them with electrical tape.
So I thought was good enough, but as soon as I reconnect the cable to the back of my tow vehicle, the right side lights do not work, nor the right side indication, and when I try to indicate, the ATS module trips and goes red! If I disconnect the cable from the van and refit, the ATS module stays green.

Traveled home the other day with no right turn indication and no illumination on the right side of the van, including brake lights, any ideas.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Use a light duty "bungee cord" arranged to hold it up, but leave it free to compliantly give "as, when and if ever required" in manoeuvring.

Jockey jack handles come in useful here as a nice high placed anchor for the bungee.
Edit: This also serves to mitigate the jockey wheel rattling its way down, if not securely tightened properly!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
Thanks both - I will indeed check the wires are all correct and will adapt the routing on the cable to ensure it doesn't touch the ground.

I can't seem to locate the fuses, but would imagine they are in line type fuses so it's just the case of following the cable back down the caravan chassis?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
There is something to be said for the system some makers used of terminating the cable with one of the sockets normally found on the rear of the tow vehicle, but mounted here on the "A" frame cover.
Then use a short double ended coupling lead, when towing.

At least then that "fly lead" you can sit comfortably in a chair repairing it rather than swatting down by the "A" frame, each time it needs rebuilding!

This technique also gets over buying, plus the aggro of a routing a whole new cable on the van; there should be plenty of undamaged cable left on the van to do the job that way.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dave I will not go into whether you connected the wires correctly or not as there could also be a problem in your (13 pin ?) Socket or plug.
When I hook up my cable I take it over the A frame and then push down the Alko handle to "trap it" but so it can still move, and then give it a left hand, twist before connecting to the car, this gives it a "coil" effect that can stretch when turning to the right, and retracts the cable when turning left. It still droops slightly but keeps well clear of the ground.

Reactions: Dave Verney
Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
Hi Dave I will not go into whether you connected the wires correctly or not as there could also be a problem in your (13 pin ?) Socket or plug.
When I hook up my cable I take it over the A frame and then push down the Alko handle to "trap it" but so it can still move, and then give it a left hand, twist before connecting to the car, this gives it a "coil" effect that can stretch when turning to the right, and retracts the cable when turning left. It still droops slightly but keeps well clear of the ground.
Thanks Hutch - I know the plug is OK as it was all working when I left home prior to the weekend, I actually did exactly what you suggested on the way home, pulled the cable over the Alko handle and it removed the excess slack

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly a bit late now but I would take a photo of the wiring once the plug is opened.
Our cable can and did hit the ground. The new cable is long enough to be wired over the top of the A frame so it cannot hit the ground.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Usually if something works, then you have to make a repair or interfere with it for some other reason, and then afterwards it doesn't work, it's almost certainly a result of the repair or modification. So I do echo Plod's comment about checking your work.

I'm a little confused about you reference to:-
" no right turn indication and no illumination on the right side of the van, including brake lights, any ideas. "
Do you mean your Vivario van or the caravan?

I do wonder if a mistake in your repair may have caused the vivario to misbehave or blow some of its fuses. I suspect it will use a Canbus control system, which may need professional attention.

If your referring to the caravan then I suggest you check the wiring and fuses (you will need to either consult the caravans manual to find out where the fuses (if any) are fitted, or to trace the wiring through.

However it's also far from uncommon to find problems with the trailer to car multipin connector, especially the older seven pin varieties. Its worth checking that all the male pins have their split opened margianaly with a screwdriver so they make a more positive connection with their corresponding female tubes.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
What I do and it may not be completely advisable is to twist the tail cable over its self a couple of times which keeps it off the road but always wondered if this practice eventually deteriorates the inner cores?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts