The end of an era.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, all good things come to an end and for us, the caravanning era has ended. Over the last few weeks we have come to the decision that our hearts are no longer in it and with that in mind have cancelled the new caravan and put the current one up for sale. Our reasons for doing so are many and varied, but suffice to say we are sick of an industry that makes a moped mugger appear to be a decent chap. Soaring costs, running a car all year round that is better suited to the little bit of towing that it actually does, the Covid pandemic and the threats of more lockdowns and so so much more.

The years I have been a member of this forum have brought me a lot of pleasure and thanks to you all for that. I would like to wish all of you the very best in your caravanning adventures and of course hope you all stay fit, safe and healthy.

In recent years we have had a lot of fun in French Gites, leaving the caravan at home, and of course our bi-annual trips to Austria take much of the time that we could have used the caravan. So, for us, hopefully we will be doing more of that.

I have a buyer for the caravan, and much of the usual bits will be going with it, but I still have some other stuff to sell individually and I will post those in the for sale section.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sad to read that, but you are probably making the right choice. We got into caravanning as we have dogs and it was difficult to find places that allowed dogs, but this was way back in the early 2000's.
At times we have considered selling up, but we enjoy using CLs and some commercial sites so will carry on for awhile longer. I think that AirBnB is another cheaper way forward and many are located in popular areas. We have used AirBnB places and found them to be a lot cheaper than using the caravan.
Anyway ther is no reason for you to leave the forum as you have offered valuable input on many subjects on the years..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can understand your reasons as we faced the same decision in 2014, restarted in 2017 but came to our decision to sell in summer this year. Whilst we had the van we would often have holidays away without it, but since 2018 our freedom of choice has reduced given our commitment to family support. So reluctantly we made the same decision as you, and in one respect it unburdened us. No longer do we bother about damp, rotating tyres, storage fees and all the other on costs. Which if you are using the van regularly aren’t a problem, but amortised per diem aren’t cheap. So we look forward to booking holidays here and abroad in the future. Friends of ours 10 years younger told us 2022 wI’ll see them caravanning in France and they then plan to sell late in 2022.

Good luck with your new ventures. That hotel in Austria that you posted a long while back. It’s still in my bookmarks. !

Reactions: Thingy
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi thingy I read your post and was saddened to read it firstly because it means a seasoned caravaner with a wealth of knowledge is no longer around, secondly I’ve been contemplating our own continuation of caravan usage, we have our perfect combination of a caravan that’s only a couple of years old and to date is still dry and in excellent condition, then I look at the van and the endless extras ranging from for us a perfect air awning costing £1k down to all the connectors for taps to join the tap to the caravan, and everything I could want, I honestly can’t think of a single thing I want for, but ill health on my wife part means we currently don’t know where we will be come spring, currently the van we bought back in August is now selling for 3+ grand more than I paid, if I sold soon into jan/ feb I reckon I’d sell as a package for £25k or more for a quick sale, do I want to sell? not at all so it’s regular long conversations with each other and talking to myself, although I’m sickened to read about the latest covid strain omicron and the sickening loss off lives that may follow it does mean an early drop in prices of caravans is unlikely and the demand looks like it going to continue well into the new year, I’m hoping the health of my wife improves so we can continue for next 5 years but 2 operations thus far has given no improvement.
Good luck to everyone that you all stay safe from Omicron.

BP

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry but not surprised that you've become so disillusioned that you're packing in caravanning.
It's no longer a cheap holiday, if it ever was, and if you have better holiday options, go for it and enjoy!
When you add items for sale on PCv marketplace they don't usually appear immediately.
It can take an hour or two because we have to approve the advert.
As soon as we see it we'll approve it, but we're not online 24/7.
Please feel free to pop in to the forum anytime, and let us know how you're getting on.
Good luck with the caravan sale.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
These decisions are never easy to make, but once made, you are free to explore all sorts of new and exciting plans. There is no need to stop posting. The forum will continue to benefit from your experience; as we do from OC’s ongoing input.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A brave step Thingy. One I know you have not taken lightly. I have enjoyed all your posts and banter and sincerely hope as a non caravanner you will continue to indulge us in your wealth of knowledge and humour.
We’ve caravanned since 1978, originally because it was the only way to give the kids a break. People forget how tight money was years ago.
With best wishes for all your future travels and hols .You can still tell us all on here👏👏

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What, can I add, we are in a similar situation to Beehpee, with the wifes health not the best, due to COPD, his net year will tell for us.
As the others have said , your inputs have been great, and hopefully you will remain on the forum, is there any reason to leave it, I hope not.
Good luck mate.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're giving up caravanning Thingy,but I agree with all of your reasons.
With my work commitments,we can only get away 3 times a year,thats 6 journeys of towing,then having to run the towcar for the other 359 days☹ .
I do hope you will stay on this chat forum for people like me who really benefit from your vast experiences and knowledge.
Good luck for the future👍

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only echo the thoughts of previous posts and fully understand why you are giving up caravans.

You mention soaring prices and that extends into spare parts which have from almost acceptable to totally ridiculous.

I have now ceased my business as I am embarrassed by a lot of spares prices and the unreasonable demands of the Approved Workshop , expensive courses on things that should be second nature to engineers but nothing on those that can silently kill.

I have also found that the quality of new vans is depressingly missing, it seems a case of "get it out" and let the prospective owner have to deal with the faults which should have been sorted out before it left the factory.

Please keep popping into the Forum as you have a wealth of experience and knowledge which would be a shame to lose.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ian, giving up the caravan is a decision all of us will face, it's only a matter of when.

Enjoy the alternatives that you are fortunate enough to have in good supply.

Good luck for the future and have a wonderful time in it.

All the Best :beercheers::beercheers::beercheers:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone, your sentiments mean a lot. I wont disappear into the susnet, well, not more than three or four times a year, and of course Ill pop by regularly. Im also letting my beloved Shogun go and having fun looking for my next car, and finding myself rather surprised at the lack of those that interest me. Im not into small cars, and most manufacturers seem to be downsizing as well as going all electric. Luckily my head is ruling my heart, so VW Arteon, Skoda Superb (never thought that would happen) and Volvo V90, but were my heart to win, and my wife concede, it would be the Alfa Giulia having been an Alfa fan since being a sprog. I can just see myself up an down the Stelvio or Grossglockner in one of those, and firing used speeding tickets out of the sunroof. :D

When i get round adding my items for sale, there will be a rather fetching Isabella Magnum 340 Silver (used twice), annex for same, one or two Safefill bottles, virtually new, and a used once 24" Avtex Connected with soundbar and case among other things. Just got to work out some prices. Something for you all to get excited about, and it IS christmas.

Just for the record, I have had this caravan for 4 years, its coming up six years old and I have sold it for slightly more than I paid for it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to see you 'giving up the towbar' but am sure you'll find there are plenty of fun alternatives out there!
I’ve still retained the towbar and the gas guzzler as one never knows how things will pan out. A Knaus Starclass still strikes a chord. Our plan is to hang in to the two petrol cars until 2025 when the little Kia Rio comes out of warranty and then decide what our future motoring needs are. EV looks attractive by then as ranges will doubtless improve further and charging availability will have extended considerably. But who knows?

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I understand where you are coming from Thingy.
I have thought about selling up several times in the last few years, with fuel being so expensive and only being able to take holidays in school holiday season it adds up to being a very expensive way to have a holiday.
cost of running big car, storage etc etc soon adds up.
But I am trying to buy 5 extra days holiday from work for next year. hopefully that will equate to 10 half days so I can pick my wife up from school as soon as she dare leave for the day and get a few more local weekend trips in to make it more worthwhile having the 'van.
If that doesn't work then we will have to re-evaluate this time next year. But we know that we don't like package holidays, the thought of a cruise is horrible and air-b'n'b is hit and miss, stayed in some lovely ones and some absolute dumps . holiday cottages are very expensive....................

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Fully understand where you are coming from Thingy. Considered doing the same for a few years now. Mainly due to my ill-health though the worst is over now. Long gone are the days when we would go away most weekends and put up a full awning. Everything is slow and hard now. We have had some great bite holidays over the years. Works out cheaper and stress free. It makes sense.

In the past the van has been great for economical family holidays in the UK.

Look forward to your new future.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to see you go but do understand. The time will come to all of us and if your heart is no longer in it then there is no point in going on. If you still like the forum, your experience might still be good, so stay here if you feel you want to.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, the deed is done, not only has the caravan been sold and already departed, but my beloved gas guzzling boys toy Shogun has been sold too. From being very much of the Clarkson school, cubes cubes cubes and power, I beg to report that I have ordered a hybrid. I never thought I would ever utter that statement. Unfortunately, it also means that I will have to start listening to Abba, another statement I never thought I would utter.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
A fresh start is great. Enjoy all that lies ahead. But who knows, Caravanning may once again beckon in the future. Never say Never. OC is already muttering about a Knaus 😀
Mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Well, the deed is done, not only has the caravan been sold and already departed, but my beloved gas guzzling boys toy Shogun has been sold too. From being very much of the Clarkson school, cubes cubes cubes and power, I beg to report that I have ordered a hybrid. I never thought I would ever utter that statement. Unfortunately, it also means that I will have to start listening to Abba, another statement I never thought I would utter.
Steady on Thingy!
You'll be telling us that you've taken up salsa dancing classes next 🥺

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I assume that you haven’t bought a classic Saab 96, so when you have got some experience of the new wheels, a real ‘ user” review would be interesting rather than the normal auto journalist write ups.

PS always watch Mama Mia on long haul flights. Beats the route map or view from the tail fin camera. 😂

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
No Classic Saabs here, we have picked up a demonstrator with 900 miles on the clock, Volvo S90 T8 Recharge R Design, twin engine, with Polestar upgrade and loads of extras. Note, the user manual is 621 pages.

44bdcbba-5b0e-441a-bf95-4e2a45647bfd.jpg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Oh My Thingy what have you done?
I bet you go to bed now with tears in your eyes, regretting everything you have done, thinking over and over have I done the right thing......................
not on about selling the caravan, its the Shogun your gonna miss:LOL:

Seriously mate, good luck with your new ventures and hope it all works out for you, most of all stay safe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts