the great saga stitch up

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
i am writing this post on behalf of my father.

after getting his caravan and awning out from storeage,he noticed his awning had been wrecked by a greedy mouse.his awning was a 2000 isabella ambassador which was chewed beyond repair.the roof panel,front and side doors all completely wrecked.

after notifying saga the had agreed to pay him about £560 back in feb.

after chasing them up about 2 weeks ago they were very apologetic and all that and said a cheque would be issued that week.

after he called them back again today to chase them up again,they informed him they wont cover it as section 4 or whatever states it wont cover against vermin.why didnt these crooks tell him that in feb!and save all the bugg~~~~ around?

the moral of the story is :your awnings only covered against theft basically so check your policies.

on behalf of my dad,thanks saga,for nothing.{to~~~~s}

cheers

dave

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, annoying as it is, I believe almost every insurance cover will exclude vermin damage, along with other causes, like acts of god (whatever they are).

That is why it is so important to read the main print but very very carefully study the small print, thats why it small!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
.... also if one of your family has a pet hamster or the like and it escapes and does damage, then they will also class them as vermin. Not as this country is overrun and plagued by rabid hamsters but the moral of the story is if the robbing b******s can get out of paying up they will. It doesn't pay to be honest as I've found out to my cost in the past. In the future I will lie to the cause of the damage without an ounce of guilt :O)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When buying any other product or service, consumers generally check what they're getting in return for their money - but not insurance - you really do need to read the small print because insurance cover varies enormously - usually the less you pay, the less cover you get but don't rely on getting more cover by paying more!

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
We once rented a house and after a few months had a mould problem (ooerrr) and when we tried claiming on our contents insurance, we were told that we were not covered for "gradual occurances" such as mould, mildew and the like.

They had no answer when I asked them if I was expected to regularly move the furniture "just in case".

I have now become a champion wardrobe mover. It has become quite a competitive sport !!! (not really by the way) :)

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
We used to, Many years ago, have all our insurances with Pearl Insurance until, after 20 years without a claim, they refused to pay up on a stolen cycle that belonged to my son. It was stolen whilst he was doing his paper round when he left it on the drive of a house he was delivering a paper to.

And, the reason why they did'nt pay up was that the bike wasn't locked at the time? They even told us that had we said it had been locked then they would have paid out. A lesson learnt!

Before claiming read the small print and play them at their own game. I hasten to add that Pearl Insurance lost all our business from that day on. But in reality they are all as bad as each other.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Way back in the early 80's a JW came to the door and the OH left a *** burning in an ashtray on the settee while she answered the door.

Yes she should have known better but we were younger and that's what you pay insurance for!

Anyway get three quotes I was told and the cheapest was circa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Similar situation with bathroom suites. I knew someone who managed to damage the sink in their bathroom, or their teenage son did to be exact! anyway the suite was a coloured suite. The insurance company would only pay for a new sink, they couldn't find anything like the colour of the original sink and ended up having to pay for the cost of a new bath and loo to match the new sink. The insurance company said they had lots of people who would 'accidently' drop something in a sink to damage it in order to try and get a whole new bathroom suite, so they would only cover the cost of what was actually damaged.

Joty

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
hi there

When you have MP ripping us off at every turn with New Taxes 10p in the pound etc.Show room tax on new car VAT. Just watch a tv program called rip of Britan GOD what a eye opener.

At the end of the day insurance company,s are in the game to make money.If they can find any why of not paying out they will.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Fortunately, virtually all companies that make excessive profits by overcharging have shareholders made up primarily of pension companies who use the extra dividend to pay pensions to ordinary people - like me - keep it going!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The problem of matching sets only being covered for the damaged item was solved way back in the early 70s. Insurers offered an extension called the "Pairs and sets Clause" . I believe , if asked some insurers will still offer this extension. Then the undamaged pieces will also be replaced as well as the damaged piece.

Unfortunately damage by vermin, gradual deterioration ( unless a specific insured peril happening on a specific date can be proven)is not covered. Equally most insurers exclude damage caused by domestic animals.

With our caravan insurance it is crucial all policy warranties and special conditions are complied with to the letter. Failure to do so may result in your claim being rejected, particularly theft. So for a twin axle it is usual that both wheels on one side ae secured with a wheel clamps or Al-ko locks. On elock may not satisfy your insurers requirements.

Personally I still find the Caravan Clubs policy the less onerous on security demands than anyone elses.

Cheers

Alan

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I came down this morning to find a small bare patch on the arm of my 3year old leather armchair on wipeing the arm with a damp cloth most of the colour came of the arm,on contacting our insurers I was asked what caused it & i said I did not know. I was told that if I could not say what had caused it I cannot make a claim .As the call was recorded I cant change my story as I would be makeing a false statement!!! now what do I do. You are right any excuse to not pay out

Feb 12, 2008
Visit site
I came down this morning to find a small bare patch on the arm of my 3year old leather armchair on wipeing the arm with a damp cloth most of the colour came of the arm,on contacting our insurers I was asked what caused it & i said I did not know. I was told that if I could not say what had caused it I cannot make a claim .As the call was recorded I cant change my story as I would be makeing a false statement!!! now what do I do. You are right any excuse to not pay out
Insurance companies are fair-weather friends. We had to fight (and won) a battle for 7 years over a non-fault injury car accident that permanently disabled my wife, horrible experience, no rules either, plenty of times we felt like giving up on what was a rightful fight because of all the obstacles and unpleasantness coming from the other side's insurers. Got there in the end, but at a personal cost along the way.

Also, you do still get what you pay for. Our worst car insurance experience was with Swiftcover who were the cheapest, but wouldn't go near them again now. Customer service I found was totally appalling.

Insurance is OK until you try and get what you think you bought, and find it's never quite as simple as when they sold you the policy.

Best experience we had was with the Caravan Club insurance some years ago now, handled things very well.

Feb 12, 2008
Visit site
09:57 PM Insurance companies are fair-weather friends. We had to fight (and won) a battle for 7 years over a non-fault injury car accident that permanently disabled my wife, horrible experience, no rules either, plenty of times we felt like giving up on what was a rightful fight because of all the obstacles and unpleasantness coming from the other side's insurers. Got there in the end, but at a personal cost along the way.

Also, you do still get what you pay for. Our worst car insurance experience was with Swiftcover who were the cheapest, but wouldn't go near them again now. Customer service I found was totally appalling.

Insurance is OK until you try and get what you think you bought, and find it's never quite as simple as when they sold you the policy.

Best experience we had was with the Caravan Club insurance some years ago now, handled things very well.

TRENDING THREADS